• Profile Race

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Demolition Medials

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
Out of these cranks, which would you prefer to have under your feet? Consider everything from durability, to weight, to style, to warranty, to spindle size, to crank size, to anything else you can think of.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I predict most will say Profile. They have been around forever, are a great crank and a great company. On your list I would pick the Medials.

That said I personally have MacNeil Conjoined cranks that I just purchased. They are super light and very stiff. I like them better than my Shadow Torrids I just removed. The Conjoined have a low profile which allows less spacers and more spindle/crank interface... I think the Medials are similar in that respect..

I don't like the paint finish on the Stolens.. Looks like they were all painted on a Friday, 20 minutes before the end of the shift at the factory...

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
yeah, missing a couple of options from the list...

I'd agree with DirtBag. Profiles have got the proven reputation, there are haters out there, but they got big and have survived for a reason.

That said, I'd go Medials (best hardware I've seen come with a crank) or Conjoined, I like both. Especially if your bike (??) has a euro bb shell.
Not enough room in there for decent bearings and 22mm spindles on Wombolts or Fly cranks.

Get the LT version of either for the extra $30 or so, for the ti spindle, it's worth it considering you change your mind later and you'll have to dish out more than double that for an aftermarket ti.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
word, Satori hit it, I'd go profiles or medials.... especially with a euro b.b.

colton

Monkey
May 20, 2007
Well, the cranks i would get would be black. They would be going on an eastern jane (07) which has spanish bb. So it seems the best options would be profiles, conjoined or demolitions. I am surprised that nobody has said hollowbites, everywhere else on the net people seem to rave over hollowbites.

Also, my question is how demolition makes their cranks so much lighter than the others. They seem to be made of nearly the same, or the exact same materials, so the only option for dropping 1/4 of a pound is thinner tubings, making it more likely to snapping and causing horrific injuries. Correct me if i am wrong

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Well, the cranks i would get would be black. They would be going on an eastern jane (07) which has spanish bb. So it seems the best options would be profiles, conjoined or demolitions. I am surprised that nobody has said hollowbites, everywhere else on the net people seem to rave over hollowbites.

Also, my question is how demolition makes their cranks so much lighter than the others. They seem to be made of nearly the same, or the exact same materials, so the only option for dropping 1/4 of a pound is thinner tubings, making it more likely to snapping and causing horrific injuries. Correct me if i am wrong
yeah, the ol' primos... loved by many hated by few. Who would've thought an aluminum crank like that would still be valid now without hardly any updates, ok well hollowbites now... Fairly heavy cranks, but rarely you hear any bad things about them, well rarely any over the roof great things either. I think that's why many people like them though, they are kind of low-key and in the bmx world seem to make a rider seem more like he's been around or something, rather than train-hopping on all the trends.

The demo's weight may be due to the included hardware being lighter than most all others (besides ti). I know the bolts that came with the Conjoineds are just ridiculously long. Might be a difference in spindle weight as well, but yeah, the arms are light too. I've had no probs with mine in over a season now though, running 170's on the DH/FR bike.