Quantcast

Crank Options

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Are there any high end cranks being produced with a polished finish? Is anyone in the US building good cranks anymore? Seems like Everyone and their grandma was making a crank 10 years ago.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I've never had any issues with any of my FSA cranks. Everything else I've used has been crap in comparison...but polished? No idears.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Race Face Atlas cranks are available in shiny silver.

seriously though, a little elbow grease (and beer) and you can polish just about any crank of choice to a good shiny finish.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I would bet that the onlyl companay still making cranks in the US are profile. They do come in chrome and will last a lifetime. I actually prefer chrome/polish over ano because cranks take a lot of wear and polish can be touched up, ano can't.
I believe you can also get the Truvative Holzfeller in polish.

Stay away from square taper, there is a reason it's almost dead.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Middleburns are the greatest. But I would not describe their finish as "polished". I have three sets of their silver crankarms.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Stay away from square taper, there is a reason it's almost dead.
Yeah retro is cool and all, but not THAT cool. White Industries has the worst website I have ever seen. It makes them look like they haven't produced a product in 5 years but for some odd reason they still have a floater site.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
That's what I have on my Yeti

Is that really your bike? :drool:

I'm guessing that with a double, Grip shift is the only option? Not complaining, I like Grip Shift, just verifying.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Is that really your bike? :drool:

I'm guessing that with a double, Grip shift is the only option? Not complaining, I like Grip Shift, just verifying.
Yeah, that's my 1998 ARC. With the double, you can get away with some other options:

1. Friction thumb shifter (Paul's Thumbies would work with a barcon)
2. Standard trigger shifter with the derailleur limit screws set to only let you use two of the indexed slots.

Since I have only used the Middleburn Duo with an X.0 grip shifter, I am not certain whether the spacing between the rings is the same as that on a standard mountain triple, but I would be surprised if it was different.

There's another local here that put a Duo setup on a custom Bilenky hardtail. He's running XT shifters and we are both running a 42/29 ring combo.