Quantcast

crank problem

iandude94

Monkey
May 30, 2008
OC, NY
it seems my cranks move around in side the bottom bracket, i have no idea whats wrong, the whole entire crankset moves around when i shake it, please help me

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What exactly is the "loose" motion you're seeing? Is it along the length of the spindle, like just moving back and forth with no play in the bb itself? or is the spindle moving in all directions?

take the cranks off and see if the bearings are toast. that's what I'm suspecting, but you may also just not have enough spacers on the spindle (which would result in play as well). Did you just assemble/install the cranks? or have you been riding them a while and this is a new problem?

iandude94

Monkey
May 30, 2008
OC, NY
i just got the bike two days ago. it came with the cranks on. and the spindle just moves in every direction. and how would i get the cranks off

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
2 words - bike shop.

Your questions are useless without some pics or a better explanation.

aeffertz

Monkey
Jun 12, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
Ha. I'm pretty sure I know your problem. This happened on my Haro a few weeks ago. There is like a locking/press nut deal in between the crank and the bottom bracket. Dude, this is hard to explain with out a pic or hand movements... lol. Anyway, you can probably find it. Just tighten it by hand first, then you can use a screwdriver and hammer to finish it.
There are little notches in it for a special tool, but you can just use a punch or screw driver.