Quantcast

Crank reccomendation

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
I'm looking for some new cranks for my turner DHR and was wondering if you guys had some reccomendations. I had profiles last year, and wouldn't run them again unless I was paid to do so. I'm trying to lighten the rig up so the lighter the crank the better. I'm also a very light rider so i figure i can get away with something that weighs less (140lbs). So all adivce is appreciated.
Thanks

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
Brunettes said:
Middleburns
:stupid:

lifetime warranty, pretty darn light, super stiff, a variety of ring mounting options. Dunno whos sellin them in the US right now...last i heard they ended relations with their distributor...
BrianHCM might have some around...

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
I'm personally partial to the XT hollowtechs, rather than the saints. The Saint cranks are burly, but really heavy. I'm a huge fan of the new shimano cranks in general, they're really light and stiff.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I run XTs and I'm not a huge fan. Mine have been used by a 120# rider (me) for 2 seasons on my all mountain bike as well as a little DH and they are giving up. The BB has been replaced and I need a new one again. The hole where the little ring bolts in is stripped out, so now there's 3 that work. The threads where the pedals go in are rough, and the axle has a bulge from force so now it's really hard to get them on and off. I've had them fall of while I ride and yes they were properly installed. :stosh: I'm running Holzfellers now, and they're super reliable and weight is decent. I really want Middleburns, but I don't know how much they cost and where to get them in the U.S.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Oh, I thought they would be more expensive. Where can I get 'em in the U.S.? I'm interested for sure, the quality looks awesome.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Thrillkil said:
I'm personally partial to the XT hollowtechs, rather than the saints. The Saint cranks are burly, but really heavy. I'm a huge fan of the new shimano cranks in general, they're really light and stiff.
I'd also say XT. I'm running Hone's on my DH bike and LXs on my trail and am very happy with both.

Don't the Saints weight MORE than the Profiles? I remember that being a big deal when the Saints came out.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
i really liked my truvativ holzfellers w/ race face sig bb...they held up good for over a year...ive killed mulitple profile bb's...i put some fsa carbons on my slalom bike..ill let u guys know how they hold up after i get some ride time on em....

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Bicyclist said:
I run XTs and I'm not a huge fan. Mine have been used by a 120# rider (me) for 2 seasons on my all mountain bike as well as a little DH and they are giving up. The BB has been replaced and I need a new one again. The hole where the little ring bolts in is stripped out, so now there's 3 that work. The threads where the pedals go in are rough, and the axle has a bulge from force so now it's really hard to get them on and off. I've had them fall of while I ride and yes they were properly installed. :stosh: I'm running Holzfellers now, and they're super reliable and weight is decent. I really want Middleburns, but I don't know how much they cost and where to get them in the U.S.
you my friend need to try the new xts. the hollowtech 2 system is amazing. :drool:

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Bicyclist said:
That's what I'm running. :rolleyes:
Then you might want to take a look at the spacers on the bb as that is porbably the reason you are killing bb's. I've had saints for a year now and the bb is still perfect after ALOT of riding.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Bicyclist said:
somethings fishy, everyone who uses them loves them, including me. i have had 3 seasons already on my xt, only thing to whine about is the bbs, gone through 2. the new xt solves that.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
i always figured the xts wouldnt hold up well on a dh course....what about the truvativ holzfellers?

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
acair422 said:
i always figured the xts wouldnt hold up well on a dh course....what about the truvativ holzfellers?

holzfellers are good stuff, overlooked by many

dondon

Monkey
I run Holzfellers with 4 bearing truvative max ti BB.
My wife runs stlylo team sl's on her dhr, 170s, you just have to grind off the tabs to make it fir your guide/chainring. With Ti BB. You could do this if you are a lighter rider.

You save most of the weight in the ti BB. And the max ti is plenty strong with the extra bearings taking the load.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I love my RF Turbines with RF DH BB. They have lasted 3 seasons and now going on a second bike.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
NateH said:
Then you might want to take a look at the spacers on the bb as that is porbably the reason you are killing bb's. I've had saints for a year now and the bb is still perfect after ALOT of riding.
No, it's not that, it's the fact that an external BB is going to be subjected to more contaminants than one tucked away in your frame. They just get really gritty fast. Things like old XTR BBs, however, last for many years.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Bicyclist said:
No, it's not that, it's the fact that an external BB is going to be subjected to more contaminants than one tucked away in your frame. They just get really gritty fast. Things like old XTR BBs, however, last for many years.
donno about you guys but the isis system lasts about a year the most for most ppl around here who ride frequently. of all types of bottom brackets, the shimano/race face external bb have lasted the longest. on top of that, you can just change the bearing its self.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
dondon said:
I run Holzfellers with 4 bearing truvative max ti BB.
My wife runs stlylo team sl's on her dhr, 170s, you just have to grind off the tabs to make it fir your guide/chainring. With Ti BB. You could do this if you are a lighter rider.

You save most of the weight in the ti BB. And the max ti is plenty strong with the extra bearings taking the load.
how long has your ti bb lasted? i find it soo hard to throw away a peice of titanium when they die. :oink:

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
I ride Saint now and I really like them. They are holding up very well. But, if you are going for light then I would suggest Shimano XT. They are very light and very durable.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
yea the pedal inserts on hussafelts are not very good (had them on my old dh bike) and thats what turned me off about the holzfellers (i feared they'd have a similar problem) If the shimano xt's can really hold up those seem like a good option...