Quantcast

Crank reccomendation

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Holzfellers don't have inserts. They're great cranks. Hussefelts aren't really an issue either because you can just loctite the inserts back in and they're fine, or get 'em warrantied for new ones.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Bicyclist said:
Hussefelts aren't really an issue either because you can just loctite the inserts back in and they're fine, or get 'em warrantied for new ones.
Sort of. The metal is so soft that bending the cranks is a real issue. I bent the spider on one pair, bent the non drive arm on another, ripped the pedal out of the threads in the original Hussies and had chronic problems with the inserts on the later models. Too many warranties in too short of a time frame (1 year) Its true you can loctite the insert if it comes loose, but it doesn't really help if you've ovaled out the threads in the butter soft metal.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Zark said:
Sort of. The metal is so soft that bending the cranks is a real issue. I bent the spider on one pair, bent the non drive arm on another, ripped the pedal out of the threads in the original Hussies and had chronic problems with the inserts on the later models. Too many warranties in too short of a time frame (1 year) Its true you can loctite the insert if it comes loose, but it doesn't really help if you've ovaled out the threads in the butter soft metal.
True. Holzfellers are way better though.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
acair422 said:
is the above mentioned true for the holzfellers as well? (zark?)
No, Holzfellers are made of a different alloy. I don't have any personal experience, but haven't heard of those problems with them. Just avoid Hussefelts was what I was trying to point out, they aren't the same quality.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
RF atlas cranks. People including Graves race DH on them, but they're still light enough to be found on many trail bikes. Lifetime warranty and good looks. Can't go wrong with these.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
well graves is a bit smoother then me and he can get new cranks probably when ever he wants...(and has a pro mech wrenching his bike) just pointing that out

J

J5ive

Has anyone noticed the newer hussefelts use that little pin to stop the insert from moving? Its a pain in the arse! When the insert loosens up you can't remove it to re-locktite. BOOO.

Saints are grand. As are holzfellas. Middleburns would be nice to try also.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
acair422 said:
well graves is a bit smoother then me and he can get new cranks probably when ever he wants...(and has a pro mech wrenching his bike) just pointing that out
point taken, but just trying to show that they're not some wimpy xc crank, and would probably do fine for you unless you're a bigger guy.

edit: I still stand by the fact that the atlas would be a good candidate, but the XT may be better...

Typically I'm a SRAM/avid fan and shimano hater when it comes to components, however the new hollow XT cranks and external BB are simply a better combination of strength, weight, and price than any other on the market (for this use.)

It took me a long time to admit to myself that this was the case, but a friends testimony, blog posts, threads and magazine articles all point to one crank for all mountain and light freeride. The only problem is that to my knowledge, they're only available as a full set with 3 rings and everything.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm a Shimano fan but I still don't really like the XT cranks for downhill. I really like my Holzfellers. They're super reliable and not that heavy.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Superdeft said:
It took me a long time to admit to myself that this was the case, but a friends testimony, blog posts, threads and magazine articles all point to one crank for all mountain and light freeride. The only problem is that to my knowledge, they're only available as a full set with 3 rings and everything.
Any mods out there to run 2 rings and a Supercharger? :confused:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
berkshire_rider said:
Any mods out there to run 2 rings and a Supercharger? :confused:
You just buy a Supercharger and replace the outer chainring, just like every other crank out there. They come with long bolts too. :rolleyes:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
You just buy a Supercharger and replace the outer chainring, just like every other crank out there. They come with long bolts too.
No $hit? :rolleyes: The question was directed towards running one specifically with the external BB Shimano XT crankset. I heard there were problems running them on Shimano products in the past, and have never seen anyone running a Supercharger / XT setup.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Dude, I answered your question and then you get pissed. I've done it before on those cranks, it's like every other crank. What do you want to know? There aren't any problems and I told you that already. :rolleyes: :mumble: