Saint 165mm w/bb

RaceFace Atlas FR 170mm w/bb
RaceFace Atlas FR 165mm w/bb

Last edited:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
single ring on all of them. The 165's are for my Demo7, Elka rear shock, Fox 40 RC2, E-13 SRS+ 36t ring and bash guard so it is a toss up between the RF Atras Fr and the Saints
the 170's are for my transition Double and my Commencal Absolute 4x. The double is my all around bike and I was thinking RF Atlas FR 170s or SLX 170s with 36 or 34t ring and Gamut P-30.
The Commencal 4x HT i was thinking XT 170s with 36t ring and E-13 LG1+
All bikes are geared

Muerto

Chimp
Oct 30, 2009
Sweden
Wouldn't recommend the SLX cranks for anything DH. Got a pair to test for a Swedish website last season and they bent quite badly... Others have had similar problems with the SLX. If you just touch them on something at speed they bend, if you crash they're pretty much guranteed to bend. For AM use they should be fine though - but then I'd go with XT...

Trying the Race Face Responds this season, maybe they will turn out to be a better alternative to the SLX (similar in weight, same intended use, similar price, etc.). We'll see...

Christiaan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
Weesp, The Netherlands
single ring on all of them. The 165's are for my Demo7, Elka rear shock, Fox 40 RC2, E-13 SRS+ 36t ring and bash guard so it is a toss up between the RF Atras Fr and the Saints
the 170's are for my transition Double and my Commencal Absolute 4x. The double is my all around bike and I was thinking RF Atlas FR 170s or SLX 170s with 36 or 34t ring and Gamut P-30.
The Commencal 4x HT i was thinking XT 170s with 36t ring and E-13 LG1+
All bikes are geared
On a 4X bike I would def go 175mm!

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
just weighed my 165mm 2009 saints with BB and they came in at 846g, the 165 atlas freerides with BB came in at 846g's on the dot.

i can take pictures if wanted.

now remember everyones scale might be off a bit here or there.

EDIT: oops those are for the 83mm BB i have some atlas in 63-73mm BB i can weigh for you.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
What if this Guy is <5foot with short legs? Do you not think his mean power output would drop due to spinning the wider arcs when compared with a crankset and Gearing optimized to his anatomy?

At an olympic level athlete's have ready access to technicians and equipment which provide this kind of information. Some regularly vary crank length within a range appropriate to their body dimensions and what the numbers are telling them about how they're performing on a particular course.

Often as a result of this combination of realtime scientific testing and rider feedback, custom intermediate crank length's are produced and gearing strategies are established.
Yes, but this is the internet, get whatever cranks fit your bikes color better, that is the key to racing, but in all seriousness, id stay away from SLX for DH. FWIW i run saints.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I am 5'3" with a short inseam that is why I run 170s. My Demo7 is an 09 with no travel spacer.
Are the Atlas cranks that bad? I get mixed reviews on them.
What could be a problem with new saints and an e-13 srs+?
The Commencal Absolut I am going with XTs and an LG1+ to keep the weight down.
It is the Double and the Demo I am having trouble deciding. The SLX I would not use for dh.
I really appreciate the insight and help from everyone.
Also any opinions on the XT brakes? I am looking to run them on the Commencal and the Double.
I have Saint brakes on the Demo and love them. I used to run Avid Juicy 7s.

Last edited:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I ran juicys since they came out. Had them on a demo9, 07 sxt and my 03 s-works Enduro. As time went on the newer juicy 7s sucked, needed more frequent bleeding and horrible feel out of the box. Also as I got faster the j7s were not cutting it. Elixers same problem crappy feel put of the box.
The new Saints are awsome take a little time to get used to the crazy stopping power but I would not go back to Avids. Shimanos are also easier to bleed.

BMADED

Monkey
Nov 3, 2009
808 State
People have had the Juicy 7's go out on them? uh oh...Oh well I dont have anymore money right now so i'll just roll with it. As for the Atlas cranks, I have been quite happy with mine. Have not had them for long or taken any real hits but so far I dont see any problems.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I thought it was normal for the process to take hours to get anywhere near consistent results.

Disintegrated bits of reservoir diaphragm,
Lever's that pop out mid run,
Bite point never the same on both brakes,

Minnaar in Syndicate video said the same thing - after losing his brakes mid run - this for sure is the last piece of equipment Powered by SRAM I hope I ever have to put up with

Sorry to derail your thread so you'll be running XT's on your short travel bikes and Saint's for DH? Cool post some riding shot's when you get them all done.
no problem. I found that the first year of the Juicy 7s was the best. The first double clamp with the plastic cover that slid out. Had those on my Demo9 from 04-06. Easier to bleed and needed less bleeding. Then I had the single bolt ones that needed bleeding frequently and leaked from the resevior cover.
Then I had juicy 7 carbons with Danger Boy levers, they never felt right Rear needed to be constantly bleeded. My buddy went from Codes to Saints and did nothing but rave how good they were.
So i went over to them and love them. I have a set of M765 xt brakes that were on my ss ht and I love them. So now that I am finishing up my Commencal and my Double they both will have new XT's on them.

As for cranks toughest decesion is Saints or RF Atlas FR on my Demo7. I already have a brand new E-13 srs+ because it fits well on the Demo.
I can probably modify the bash ring to work better with the saints.

The Commencal I am using XT's on with a E-13 LG1+ so that is set.
I have a Gamut P-30 for my Double and I am leaning towards the Atlas FR's on that over the SLX's. Biggest complaint I have heard about the RF cranks is the BB which I can change out with a Shimano, Hope or CK. So if that is the biggest problem I am not worried about it. Not like I am using that bike for DH.