Quantcast

cranks pissing you off too?

May 23, 2007
Stamford, CT
Ok what the hell?

I've gone through a pair of XTs, 2 pairs of 06 RaceFace Evolve DH, and now my 07 hussefelts are dying on me. ALL WERE SPINDLE-CRANK PROBLEMS. well xt was the BB...

Here I am 185 pounds seldom hard DH riding only about 9 trips to Diablo this season and killed my 2nd set of evolves and the hussefelts came home messed up after the last race!

What cranks do people recommend? My trust towards raceface is dim now and would take a lot of convincing for me to buy something from them again. :disgust1:

Thanks guys!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
are you checking them after the first ride following the initial install?

why'd you get rid of the XTs if it was a BB issue and not a crank/ spindle issue?

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Yeah... I say stick with either XT or Saint, and make sure the frame is faced first.
You should have no equipment problems after that. Be sure to periodically check your bolts for tightness.

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
Also make sure you are tightening the cranks properly when you install them. A lot of the new 2-piece cranks require a HUGE amount of torque to set them up properly (I'm talking a 3 foot breaker bar on the end of a 18" torque wrench, something like 600ft/lbs). Also keep in mind that no matter how solid a design is, you need to check your bolts, preferably after each ride. But assuming you were, do check out the Shimano stuff, it has definatley been becoming the top choice.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
I'm guessing the problem with the Hussies and RF was play developing in the splines? that's because press-fit designs are flawed. If you take them on and off too many times that will happen no matter what you do. On the XT did you replace the bottom bracket cups? You can do that you know. Get another pinch-bolt style setup.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
yeah 2 piece cranks are way better than isis or octilink. i ahve used saints, diabolis, and the gravities. all are nice. the diabolis are heavy and i don't like the setup as well. the saints and gravities are about the same. i would say the saints are a little better though.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
One set of Middleburns is much less than the four sets of cranks he's destroyed so far :)

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Also make sure you are tightening the cranks properly when you install them. A lot of the new 2-piece cranks require a HUGE amount of torque to set them up properly (I'm talking a 3 foot breaker bar on the end of a 18" torque wrench, something like 600ft/lbs).
ummm.... what cranks would required this much torque? my guess is that something else is wrong if you need to use that much force to install a set of cranks.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I have problems with all ISIS BB/Cranks with the crank bolts coming loose!
Right now i'm using a RF Evolve XC cranks & they have come loose 2x so far.
I may have to also use significant amounts of loctite on that bolt!
Should have kept my Saints, or Kona Buldge chromoly cranks!

May 23, 2007
Stamford, CT
Yeah saints look like their on the menu. However, I might throw on some Odyssey 41 thermals because they've lasted 4 years on my bmx bike. They are 48 Spline like the Diety and Profiles but cost way less.

Now who ever uses the deity cranks, is it on a hard tail or DH rig? I'm not too sure if i wanted to try the 48 spline on a DH rig.

Also, they weren't XT's they were LX's. my bad.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Ive been running RF Prodigyxc cranks for DH and FR for about 5 years now, still no problems aside from wearing out the original BB that came with the set, just got noisy, same set has been on three bikes now, havent had them come loose, All I can say is Proper assembly everytime, or dont expect them to last, Get a good Inch lb torque wrench, read the directions, and go.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Current crank list:

Middleburn (3 sets)
Race Face Deus X-Type
Race Face Turbine LP (2 Sets)
Race Face North Shore XS
Shimano XT
FSA K-Force external
DMR X-Type
Campagnolo Record Track
Profile (2 sets)
Shimano Dura-Ace (Octalink)
Truvativ Hussfelt OCT
Truvativ Holzfeller
Truvativ GXP
Truvativ Power-Spline
Bontrager
Sugino
FMF
Echo
Koxx
...and a few others

The Middleburns are the cranks that I wish were on every bike. They are very tough to acquire in the USA, but worth it. The DMRs are heavy, but strong as they could be. The Profiles are overkill if you are not grinding the hell out of them, but they will last. The Race Face are nice, in that the bolt is on the drive side, but their bearings are suspect. The external-bearing cranks with the bolt on the non-drive-side will loosen regularly.

I have had BBs from most companies out there, too. If you look at your BB and cranks separately and choose the best option for each, you will be more satisfied. Some companies make great crankarms, but terrible bottom brackets. Some companies make great bottom brackets, but don't make cranks.

Choose the best for each (considering how you ride) and you'll eventually find the best combination.

May 23, 2007
Stamford, CT
Ive been running RF Prodigyxc cranks for DH and FR for about 5 years now, still no problems aside from wearing out the original BB that came with the set, just got noisy, same set has been on three bikes now, havent had them come loose, All I can say is Proper assembly everytime, or dont expect them to last, Get a good Inch lb torque wrench, read the directions, and go.
I followed the directions for the Race Face and used the correct number of spacers. Cranked it down till the right arm reached the end of the splines and it still wobbled. I checked things twice the second time around. I'm done with Race Face

So now my question is shimano's hollowtech or deity/profile/odyssey 48 spline design?

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Between Profiles/Saints? Go with whatever you can get cheapest.

I rock them both on a few different bikes, they are both great setups.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I run a set of gravity 48spline BMX cranks on my bottlerocket. I like them better than the saints on my big bike. I think I want to try out those new deity vendetta's. I don't know where to find a set yet though.