Quantcast

Cranks that will accept 30-28t rings.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I've only been able to find 3... anyone have some suggestions?
These are For XC/Racing use (1x9/10 and SS). Need to be able to mount 28-30t rings.

So far all I can find is this:
White ENO Crank
Middleburn
Surly Mr. Whirly

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Nope. Chainline needs to be 1x9/10 friendly, so the granny tabs are no bueno.

For instance, the ENO uses chainrings with an integrated spider and the Surly uses a 5 bolt 94bcd spider... the middleburn can use both.

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
This is something I've been wanting to do as well. These guys: Aluminum Spiderless Chainrings
make single spiderless rings to go with XO, and some shimano offerings- check the link to see what's compatible. I'm pretty excited to try this with a 30t single and a 9x36 rear...

This guy: spam! 30 tooth 104 bcd with shifting ramps - Dirt Rag Forums
also makes a 30t x 104bcd, so just about any crank could work- I'm a bit more sketptical of this one though, and the rings are expensive and don't look half as pretty as the HBC. Good luck!

Last edited:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I would get the middleburns and a homebrew ring, actually I am probably going to order that set-up real soon.

JLStout

Chimp
Mar 12, 2010
Redding Ca
See if you can find some old cannondale codas on ebay. Bad part about it though is octalink BB. I am running a set on my 1x9 with a 29t ring.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Most newer SRAM/Truvativ cranks (X. series, AKA, S1400) have a removable spider. Then just order a Homebrewed spiderless ring for the SRAM spline pattern. Some of the triple chainring SRAM models have a fixed spider so be careful, but most of the double cranks are removable. I went with a Truvativ AKA 1.1G Singlespeed crank (cheap, about $125 online) and a Homebrewed ring (still on order).

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Most newer SRAM/Truvativ cranks (X. series, AKA, S1400) have a removable spider. Then just order a Homebrewed spiderless ring for the SRAM spline pattern. Some of the triple chainring SRAM models have a fixed spider so be careful, but most of the double cranks are removable. I went with a Truvativ AKA 1.1G Singlespeed crank (cheap, about $125 online) and a Homebrewed ring (still on order).
What takes longer... wearing out a Home Brew Ring... or waiting for them to show up. I put it about equal.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
What takes longer... wearing out a Home Brew Ring... or waiting for them to show up. I put it about equal.
Ha! Maybe true, but the HBC rings are very nice and worth the wait. You just need to plan ahead and budget in the necessary time to receive your order.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
How to replace a worn chainring with a HBC ring:
Step 1: Buy a ring from another company, install it.
Step 2: Order a HBC Ring from the HBC website.
Step 3: Proceed to ride the new installed ring until worn.
Step 4: Install HBC ring (if it has arrived).

4130biker

May 24, 2007
I have the non-ramped 30T Anderson Machine ring for 104 mm B.C. cranks. Works great for my 1x9 setup.
What cassette are you running? I would be running this with my 11-36 for a 1x10. Do you find that you have enough high-range gearing? Thanks

4130biker

May 24, 2007
How to replace a worn chainring with a HBC ring:
Step 1: Buy a ring from another company, install it.
Step 2: Order a HBC Ring from the HBC website.
Step 3: Proceed to ride the new installed ring until worn.
Step 4: Install HBC ring (if it has arrived).
To be fair, they custom machine, then anodize whatever color you want. You can't have all of these fancy options from a small company and expect not to wait. I can't believe how cheap they are, actually.