Quantcast

cranks

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I need to replace the broken 1-piece cranks on my BMX race bike, but I'm not sure what to do. Should I consider 2-piece cranks, or just go for 3-piece? Also, are aluminum cranks any good, or do I need cromo ones? I weigh about 160lbs, and I don't ride BMX all that often, nor I don't do any big jumps, dirt jumping, street riding, etc. Price is very important, and weight is definitely a consideration.

FlashBullit

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
If i where you i would get race face cranks if the fit i dont know if mtb fit on bmx if not get tube type cranks i heard there stronger then nomral cranks.:confused: :eek:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
i say get a pair of profiles. they are simply the best cranks, imo. I rode bmx for 5 years on one set of profiles, after going thru a spindle on a pair of boss cranks, and numerous 1 piece cranks. stay away from anything forged. theyre heavy and bulky. but like redline flight cranks or profiles :D good stuff

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Get Profile race cranks, but keep 'em tight and be careful so as to not get the "Profile wobble." That's basically where the cranks get loose and wallow out the bolt hole on the chainwheel, making your whole drivetrain pretty shady.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
The wobble happens on cranks that don't have pinchbolts that hold them on the spindle, like Profiles.

Cranks with pinchbolts would be Primo (which I use), RNC or Demolitions.