Quantcast

Crankset/BB Question

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
Looks like I'm going to need a new crankset and bottom bracket for my SS. I have a Truvativ combo with external bearings and the crank arm keeps falling off (has since the day it was new).

Any suggestions? I'm looking for something that is smooth as silk, efficient, and durable (although I'm not as hard on bikes as a lot of people). I'll pay for a difference I can feel, but don't want to throw $$ away to get the best if I won't feel a difference. The bike has these components (Surly 1x1, Fox F100 RLC, Mavic Crosstrails, Chris King headset).

I see that Race Face has an Evolve and a Deus. Is the Deus worth the extra $$?

I hesitate to get another Truvativ unless I know that the problem is fixed (I'm not the only one with this problem on this product)--anyone know?

FSA has the V-Drive available in single speed--anyone tried it?

Thanks,

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I got so sick of Isis and external bearing crap failing that I went back to the only system that ever worked right for me: square taper.

I've got the White Industries ENO crank and have no complaints at all.

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
Can you put a bash guard on that crank?

Looks like you have to use White Bros. chain rings? Not a big problem since I've got someone coveting my new 33t stainless Surly ring.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I'm running it on a new Shimano UN-72 that I found in my parts drawer.

I don't know of any way to put a bash guard on it, but haven't given it much thought. I think only White Ind. makes off-the-shelf chainrings for it, but know others are available for order... Boone makes them, but you have to order.

hooker_47

Chimp
Mar 2, 2007
Lost
I'm running a UN72 on my 26 SS and a UN73 on my 29 SS. Both feel great, and are very smooth. I don't see any reason to use anything but the square taper. Next up will be the White Industries cranks, but only when the XT's break down on me, which could take some time.

I've also heard that the Phil Wood BB's are even better than the Shimano's, but I've never used one...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
if less than a year old, Truvativ will warranty the crankset (too bad their BBs suck).

with WIs, you have to make sure your chainline is spot on, or else the chainring will break at the arms.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I've also heard that the Phil Wood BB's are even better than the Shimano's, but I've never used one...
No doubt, but at $144 for the cups, spindle, and proprietary installation tool, I don't see one on my bike anytime soon. :(

with WIs, you have to make sure your chainline is spot on, or else the chainring will break at the arms.
Your chainline would have to pretty far off to put enough lateral stress on the ring to break the arms. Where did you hear about this?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
No doubt, but at $144 for the cups, spindle, and proprietary installation tool, I don't see one on my bike anytime soon. :(
Damn, based on my experience with Shimano BBs, that would be about enough money for a decade's worth.

For xc riding, square taper isn't a bad bet. I'm using it on my SS with no issues. Square taper and Octalink have served me with fewer problems than ISIS or external by far.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin

Your chainline would have to pretty far off to put enough lateral stress on the ring to break the arms. Where did you hear about this?
we've had 2 instances at the shop. chainlines weren't off more than 5mm. both rings broke in the same manner.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
not really...they warrantied the ring "under good fairth." they said that they had seen it happen before.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I have been Running a RaceFace Evolve all year on Floyd. I have had no problems with the set up....