Quantcast

Crankset/Cassettes?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Thought I'd ask this here since the classfieds don't get much roady action.

I'm trying to build up a cross frame and am a few parts short. Anyone have an extra compact crankset 34/50? Or a cassette?

I'm so close!

Will post pics. when it all comes together.

Thanks!

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Compact = 110mm bolt pattern so you should be able to find a mountain crankset. QBP (parts wholesaler used by most shops) also has a lot of cheap options. Buying a used cassette is risky b/c there is a very good chance that it will be work out.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i agree with Repack about the cranks and cassette.

if i were to buy new, and wanted "roadie" cranks, i'd go with Shimano's R600.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i drink the Shimano kool-aid. one of the guys at the shop is on a Shimano component advisory board.

and we've had issues with FSA cranks lately.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
I like Shimano a ton. I just don't like it twice as much, if you get my drift.

edit - what kind of issues?
more recently, they sent a triple NDS arm with a double DS arm, NDS arms not fitting on the spindle, out-of-whack rings. SLKs as well as Gossamers.

lovehamr

Chimp
Dec 15, 2006
I picked up an FSA carbon for my son's road bike a couple of months ago. It has several hundred miles on it now with no issues. I'm not suggesting running a carbon crank for cross events, just letting you know my admitedly limited exp. with FSA cranks. I personally run Race Face LP cranks on everything I ride, road and mountain. Yes it looks rather industrial on a road bike but at 6'2"/270#, I ain't easy on cranks and I've yet to hurt one of these. I have broken one Shimano and one Navare. The RFs can be found on ebay for reasonable prices these days. That is if you don't mind going with a square taper BB.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I picked up an FSA carbon for my son's road bike a couple of months ago. It has several hundred miles on it now with no issues. I'm not suggesting running a carbon crank for cross events, just letting you know my admitedly limited exp. with FSA cranks. I personally run Race Face LP cranks on everything I ride, road and mountain. Yes it looks rather industrial on a road bike but at 6'2"/270#, I ain't easy on cranks and I've yet to hurt one of these. I have broken one Shimano and one Navare. The RFs can be found on ebay for reasonable prices these days. That is if you don't mind going with a square taper BB.
The most durable pair of cranks I have ever owned are an old pair of RF North Shore square tapers. I just don't get it. They refuse to die. I've snapped a bunch of spindles, ran them DH for several seassons, but they are still strtaight and I have yet to rip a pedal out. They've even outlasted new Shimano Hone and FSA dh cranks. The aluminum they are made of seems to be much tougher than the al used on newer cranks.