Quantcast

crankset for DH bike: Race face atlas fr VS. shimano Saint

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Ya know have to wonder at times how much is based advice ere is by pro's who get stuff thrown at them or by those who actually pay for and ride there products!

IMO both are sound options and 2 of the best!

Regardless of speculation about RFs interface and there maybe some truth about a bikes BB quality interface etc, nothing someone who knows what they are doing with a facing tool [Park tool is best]

Ive run RF and both Atlas versions since 04!

Ive never had an interface problem, I still own Deus since 06, I BB set
Diablous which were bullet proof since sold.
Ive converted others from Xt to RF std Altas and they noticed ehaced stiffness, none have had issues. EVER

I run RF Atlas on my DHR I built her up myself as with most of my bikes!

I had the threads chased as they were rough, rare with a Turner!

The crank I use 165mm have been nothing short of impressive to date, [I would be just as happy with Saint]

But these have been are my fav cranks ever

If these are too heavy for ya DH bike I mean seriously

My bike is not built too light yet everyone is amazed how it feels

After riding all day on our National DH course I have bee even more impressed and a few said they wanted these cranks, thumbs up from me,

Ive said it before and as usual get the typical abuse responses but I will always through it out there, when these come up, I buy my own equiment these days and I only buy what works, maybe mor for me, but if its crap I will be first to say so, for me its got to be reliable and tough, I'm no lightweight either.

IMO as usual JRA interface is hack omo's & home mechanics are alive and well if ya cant handle these plain and simple! RF would have long ago changed if it held any credence what so ever!

My setup, with MRP total cinch to setup!

I'm still amping from yesterdays riding though braap

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
It seems like the only argument here for the RF is "Thee interface isn't THAT bad". Whereas, the argument for the saints is "They are basically perfect in every way". So ya...

It's not a question of "Is the RF interface worse". It's worse, period. It will fail more often than the saint one, period.

Last edited:

project_d

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
SoCal
I haven't ridden the Saints, and I've heard great things about them, but I've been running my RF Atlas FR cranks for about a year. I love rocky stuff, and they've held up incredibly!!!