Quantcast

Crankset Switch

Mar 27, 2011
Birmingham, AL
So took everyone's advice and got my rear shock rebuilt. Go figure with my luck my crankset was the next thing to go out on me. Last thing left before my bike is fully rebuilt.

When I bought the bike it came with Raceface Ride XC cranks. Well one of the crankarms is now trashed. So my buddy has a pair of Shimano Deore XT cranks off his old bike he is willing to give me for free. So I need some help from the experienced riders here. Do I purchase a new BB so I can uBse these new Cranks (They are Hollowtech I) for $40 from my LBS or do I save my cash and purchase a brand new crankset?? My BB currently trashed so buying a new crankarm for my raceface cranks means buying a brand new BB that costs more.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Those HT1 XTs are fine. Just get a BB for them and be done with it.

Just make sure you get a) the right length spindle, (I forget what that is off the top of my head, but your LBS should be able to help) and b) an Octalink V2, not a V1. V1 works with Dura Ace, XTR, and Ultrgra/ 105 cranks IIRC, and not the lower end stuff. XT is V2 for sure.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Those HT1 XTs are fine. Just get a BB for them and be done with it.

Just make sure you get a) the right length spindle, (I forget what that is off the top of my head, but your LBS should be able to help) and b) an Octalink V2, not a V1. V1 works with Dura Ace, XTR, and Ultrgra/ 105 cranks IIRC, and not the lower end stuff. XT is V2 for sure.
seconded!