Quantcast

cranksets

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
In all of this upgrade I'm doing, I now realize I don't really know much about Cranksets & Bottom Brackets.
So, now here I am, everything's on & ready to go...but oops, I forgot about that part!
I hear a lot of talk about Race Face and TruVativ, but don't know them from anything else.

Here's what I've got. Everything's gone up to XT (8 spd). Would like to keep everything upper end but don't want to spend cash on something that I don't need. I'm not that heavy and I don't really go too hardcore.
I've heard stuff about XT and XTR having a tendency to snap easily.
Not a racer so weight isn't really that much of an issue.

I'm really just looking for some advice...I won't be doin' this part myself, I'll let the shop handle it. I just don't want to be sold something I don't need. Does any of this make sense?

B-Loco

Chimp
Aug 13, 2001
South Florida
KB -

give the TruVativ team stylos a try. They cost about the same as XT hollowtech and seem pretty solid.

I personally went LX hollowtech since they were ALOT cheaper than XT hollowtech and only weigh 10 grams more! They have worked fine and no flex so far. I would have gone with the TruVativ cranks but money was running tight since I ran into some other build problems with my frame.

I think race face is a bit overpriced. Some would say the same thing about Chris King headsets, but in that case I think the price is more than worth it. But when it comes to cranksets there are plently of other good options out there to warrant skipping over RF and the price tag they carry.

hope that helps!

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
First off, go with a splined system. It produces a noticebly stiffer combo than the older square taper design. There are two types of splined systems currently out there, ISIS and Shimano's Octalink. ISIS products are made by truvative, Raceface, FSA(?), Chris King(?), and I belive a few others. Shimano's Octalink is incompatable, but they have released there design on hhow to make the crank interface to other companies. This means that you don't have to use Shimano's cranks, but you will have to use thier BB. Right now, I have truvatis stylo teams with a raceface xs BB. I cannot reccomend a truvativ bb because I ripped the drive side flange off mine. If you want a more inexpense route, I reccomend Shimano LX cranks with the ES-70 BB. The LX cranksets are the same as the XT, but one of the cogs on the LX is made of steel and on the XT it is made of Al.

Another thing, in Shimano's great wisdom, the XTR cranks/BB is only compatable with Dura-Ace and Ultegra road cranks. If your looking for light weight, go with either XTR cranks with a Dura-Ace BB, or Raceface Next LP ISIS cranks and BB.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

When I built up my new frame at the LBS, the shop guy and I went over parts for about an hour, discussing durability issues and he was adamant about going with the XT crank, but only in combination with the splined BB. Being that I am a large individual with a nasty tendency to strip out crankarms, this seemed like the only logical course of action. It has survived a summer of climbs and trails, so I give it my Seal of Approval.

Don't forget, your mileage may vary...

chunk

Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Virginia
I went with Shimano XT and recommend you go with Shimano. It's available at every shop. Good luck getting a new set of ISIS cranks or a new BB in a pinch.

Oh yea, and who ever told you Shimano cranks break easily must have been smoking crack.

KrusteeButt

Jul 3, 2001
Hey thanks guys! really appreciate all your input.
Probably gonna try to get this taken care of this weekend (depending on mech.'s schedules of course) and I'm really glad I got some info before going in.

Everyone have a great weekend!

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I ve had Xtr(spline) and Race Face(square) on my Dh bike and they were both fine till the race face bent:mad:.The Xtr were both lighter and noticebly stiff than race face and the price was about the same down here.Ive also had Lx spline on my xc bike and it was fine also.Just my 2 cents:D

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Originally posted by KrusteeButt
In all of this upgrade I'm doing, I now realize I don't really know much about Cranksets & Bottom Brackets.
So, now here I am, everything's on & ready to go...but oops, I forgot about that part!
I hear a lot of talk about Race Face and TruVativ, but don't know them from anything else.

Here's what I've got. Everything's gone up to XT (8 spd). Would like to keep everything upper end but don't want to spend cash on something that I don't need. I'm not that heavy and I don't really go too hardcore.
I've heard stuff about XT and XTR having a tendency to snap easily.
Not a racer so weight isn't really that much of an issue.

I'm really just looking for some advice...I won't be doin' this part myself, I'll let the shop handle it. I just don't want to be sold something I don't need. Does any of this make sense?

Have you thought about FSA? I have the V-drive cranks with their ISIS bottom bracket....work very nice and very smooth....

www.rapiddescentracing.com

thatoneguy

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
N. California
They are a little pricey at first, but with the Isis they are almost indestructable. Check em out, they are really nice and they have good customer service...

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Hey Freak, I guess that you can vouch personally for the quality of FSA products....;)

I have to admit, y'all make one HELL of a headset! Wish I had the buckage to buy one. :(

Krustee - what did you end up going with? Inquiring minds want to know!

KrusteeButt

Jul 3, 2001
Well, in talking to quite a few people, I was eventually convinced to go with XT cranks w/ the BBES-70 Bottom Bracket. Most people agreed that since I don't race and I'm not a heavy guy that Race Face would probably be overkill. And a lot of people also agreed that whomever told me XT and XTR snap easily is a bonehead, or was probably using them beyond their means.

Who knows, maybe as I get further into biking and become more experienced, I might go with Race Face on my dually. But, with just how much I spent on this one (see thread titled "I got a stiffy!"), that's a project that'll have to wait until next year!

By the way, I know nothing about FSA...never heard of it.

Freak, visited your sight...pretty nice pics...how're everyone's injuries doin'?
You guys get to CO ever?

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Originally posted by KrusteeButt
By the way, I know nothing about FSA...never heard of it.

Freak, visited your sight...pretty nice pics...how're everyone's injuries doin'?
You guys get to CO ever?
FSA= Full Speed Ahead. Visit them at www.fullspeedahead.com

the injuries are getting better. We should have a full and healthy team again fairly soon ( now that the season is pretty much over ).

But we will be back out there next year trying to get some more state champions and overalls...

I run FSA's cranks and headsets and have to say, I haven't had any problems with them. I also had the opportunity to try out a new headset called the sky pilot and was amazed at how it felt. I'm used to Chris King headsets, but this one felt really amazing.

Let me know if you want any more info...

www.rapiddescentracing.com

Big hit

Chimp
Aug 20, 2001
Portland, Oregon
I'm am very good at fully abusing my bike out in dem dar hills..

I bought a race face crankset last spring complete with rings. DO NOT BUY THE RINGS, they are crap. I wore out the middle ring inside of the first two months and This spring I had to replace the Granny(I just don;t use it as much)....The Crank itself seems good but have now gone to XT Rings and no more problems.

The rings look good but just aren't.

As far as the bottom bracket, 99% of the people out there would not have any problems with a LX..it works for me and I haven't had any problems since.

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
once again I must reccomend the ISIS setup over that of Shimano. The reason is pretty self evident, just look at the contact area of Shimano's spline pattern and then look at the contact area of ISIS. The ISIS pattern has a much higher area contact which means the interface between the crankarm and BB is stronger. Plus itis a bitch getting Shimano cranks properly aligned while putting them on. my $0.02.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
I agree with Novice and his thoughts regarding the DESIGN of ISIS. I would warn to hold out for maybe a season or two to let everyone work the bugs out. Remember ISIS is a design that allows any company to make compatable splined systems (BB's and Cranksets.) That means there will inherently be desing flaws along the way. My best advice?

If you can't wait for a splined system, buy Shimano.

If you can be patient, keep a eye on ISIS and wait. Get some rider opinions and make an educated buying decision.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
[Plus itis a bitch getting Shimano cranks properly aligned while putting them on. my $0.02. [/B][/QUOTE]

What do you mean? Its dead simple. Put them on the spindle do up the bolt. When you put them on you can feel the splines engage and there you go. A monkey could do it.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Shimano has great warranty`s and you can get the XT spline drive for about 128US ,I try to get full use out of my equipment so I want it to survive my abuse :D that is why I use shimano right now Good Luck you will like the XT`s ,Just make sure you get the right size BB

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
on my ultegra cranks it is not easy to tell if you are engaging the splines or mashing them together. On my truvativ stylo team's I can instantly tell if they are seating properly.

M

MuDHoG

I am the recent owner of a truvativ(hussefelt) crank which cost me about $140 and love it!!!The bottom bracket I choose to go with was raceface (the isis splined) it ran about $60. So far so good, stiff ride and has made my bike feel brand new....actually it never did feel this good!!!!! ~MuDHoG
by the by....the prices I quoted are in canadian dollars. I am useless at conversions so I leave it up to you guys to figure out :D

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by novice
on my ultegra cranks it is not easy to tell if you are engaging the splines or mashing them together. On my truvativ stylo team's I can instantly tell if they are seating properly.
This may be a stupid question but, are you using a road crankset on your MTbike? If so, that explains the difficulty.

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
no, I am not using a road bike crankset on my mtb. It currently resides on a 99 giant tcr team. But I dodn't see why you cannot use a road bike crankset on a mtb. As long as you are easy on it, or don't weigh much, use it only for light xc, or don't need a granny gear, or anything close to that.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Compatibility.

Splined systems often require specific BB's most of which cannot crossover to splined road cranksets. Secondly, the gearing would be totally off unless your legs are the size of full grown Sycamores. Finally, the cool factor. You'd be laughed off the trail. (Unless your name is Ritchey and then it would be the next fad.)

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
as far the bb thing goes, the spline pattern of the XTR cranks is shared by both the durace and ultegra lines of road components. Oh, and they do come in triples.