Quantcast

Crankworks: the beginning

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
I know it's over with already but I thought I would share a little bit of the weekend before Crankworks.

It started off as usual. We plan a couple of non-weekend days of riding as well as staying through the weekend so we can help kick off the week of Crankworks. "Yeah, and since we'll be riding a couple weekdays we can take our time and take a bunch of riding pictures!". You know how that goes. We got so jacked we couldn't stop for pictures. We could only stop to take in some shade from the crazy heat they had and to ease our un-Whistlified blisters that came on with a vengance. We did manage to get a couple shots from Freight train.

Here's my bro...

...and myself...

That was a sweet section with a drop to a sweeping right-hand berm to step-up. So much haulin' arse goodness.

Later that weekend of course the inevitable happens.

We come to find out GBB wants $60.00 for a bottom line Deore(remember to bring your spares kiddies). While my bro searches for a road derailleur(which is what he was using anyway) I decide to get some coldies and stumbled into the Crankworks Kickoff at the Longhorn. We had some friendly faces at the Longhorn to help lick our wounds (we wish).

Okay, this one is for the guys but can you blame me after 5 free Kokanees?

You just can't beat the view from the Longhorn. Now I like girlie girls and all but I'll take a tough chick on a big rig any day.

We also had a decent view of a few of the DJ guys testing out the finely sculpted jumps.

How do you even comtemplate this...

Well after wayyyy to many beers things started getting a little out of hand for the opening of Crankworks. The Kokanee people started out giving away beer, hats and T-shirts but the big contest was for a Kona Stinky. The funny thing was the announcer kept calling it a Stinky Kona. They had a dance-off to win an entry into the drawing with a few guys that looked like a reel from YouTube. This Canadian guy had some decent moves...

but this dude had the supreme whiteboy moves that could not be denied.

It came down to the first guy and this guy representin' Seattle.

Well the Canadian guy won but the Seattle dude wasn't done reppin' yet. He seemingly got in a scuffle with his chair later in the evening. We obliged him with some chants of "USA! USA! to help him feel better.

O.K. so there was a serious lack of riding pictures but who says it's all about the ride? We left with broken bikes, bruised body parts, and one of the best times we've had in a place we are so lucky to live near. Can't wait to get back.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
How could you hate frieght train???, not into the jumps?
I love the new section with the step up on the containers.

Thanks for sharing your adventurs and pics, I love Whistler!! Did you miss slopestyle then?

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
The container is probably one of the nicest hucks on Whistler. You can launch that thing with speed, and the bridge almost directly after it, is pretty dope also. Got to love the Train.

Cool pics though.......especially of the K girls.