Quantcast

Crankworks

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
After spending the weekend being pounded in blistered, limping useless employees, I am pumped to go back to Whistler next weekend and check out crankworks. The bikercross was closed all weekend as crews sculpted the track and it looks sweet. We saw lots of superstars including Lopes, Rennie and Cedric. It was funny. Rennie was the rudest guy ever and Cedric was the most personable. Very friendly. Actually got to ride along side him for a bit. Even if I only get 5 runs all weekend cause of the crowds, I think it will be worth it for the show. Hopefully my thumb will heal enough so that I can hang onto the bars. Good to see lots of friends and sit in the sun and enjoy the scenery too.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Cedric kicks ass. One of the friendliest guys around. (funny to watch rennie and lopes on the bikercross course and then have cedric come behind. So many different styles)

Crankworks is gonna be awesome. Cant wait to see slopestyle. Bikecross doesn't do much for me so I don't usually watch it.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Roasted said:
Cedric kicks ass. One of the friendliest guys around. (funny to watch rennie and lopes on the bikercross course and then have cedric come behind. So many different styles)

Crankworks is gonna be awesome. Cant wait to see slopestyle. Bikecross doesn't do much for me so I don't usually watch it.

Maybe it was the bad rep that the french get for being rude or that thing about Cedric taunting Palmer at Sea Otter, but i didn't expect him to be so cool. We saw him on the mountain and we talked about the fun Garb trails. The we hit the wall ride with him. Then he was telling us about how he likes to ride mellow at Whistler because it isn't racing and it's nice and laid back. The same reason we all ride Whistler. He also said he is working on a new technique were he starts to side slip the tires on the face of a jump to stay lower and flatter into hips like I've seen pics of MXers do. Sick! It's good to know that we are all still learning though.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Yeah I never got the rep of him being an ass. I have met a few pros and he is one of the best for being chill (Wade Simmons is by far the most relaxed person I have met, super T is pretty cool too)

If he goes THAT fast relaxed I would hate to see him try...holy crap the guy barely trys and he smokes everyone haha I have seen a few racers tryng that technique. It hasn't worked for them, but they weren't Cedric. Were you up when bender was riding? Just curious cause he is a pretty chill guy too :)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I didn't see bender but I was up that weekend. He seems soooo cocky that I can't take him seriously.
Of course Wade is laid back. He doesn't race AND he's Canadian.

Cedric said he was trying that new technique and almost ate it big time. Had to drop a foot and landed sideways.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Bikecrasher said:
Yesterday I saw the aftermath of a test rider on the "tower of power".
He was strapped to a spine board and on oxygen...yikes.
Owe. I was looking at it last weekend and noticing how narrow it was. If you missed the teeter or landed crooked, the results would be bad. Especially since it's kinda on a mound so you could fall 20ft off the side.

moondog

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
Ballard, WA
Bikecrasher said:
Yesterday I saw the aftermath of a test rider on the "tower of power".
He was strapped to a spine board and on oxygen...yikes.
sounds bad! i hope it's not too serious.

i hope someone posts some video of someone hitting it. unfortunately i won't be able to make it up there this weekend to see for myself.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i ran into nathan rennie and cedric gracia this weekend. rode the lift up with cedric, and he was very cool/funny. joked about how lopes probably wished that the garbanzo dh had a slight uphill in it. (as it is now it has a flattish section in the middle) rennie was also very cool, as he offered to get help when a rider crashed quite hard on a-line ahead of where he was filming. plus he let me snap a photo of him. i didn't get any jerk-vibe from him, couldn't have asked for more.