Quantcast

Crankworx:Colorado Slopestyle Pics

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Just saw this over on www.LitterMag.com and felt like sharing. Thanks to Moga for snapping the style and Gordo for posting.

There were a few more pictures in a thread over on MTBR, but they weren't as good or as recent as these. Discuss.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
holy ****, i'm going to the whistler crankworx this year, but it looks like that could be the one to go to.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I have a friend who is going to try and qualify, and from the looks of it, he might be in a little over his head.... actually, I knew he would be before I saw this, but that's a pretty cool setup on the rock face.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
welll ****, now i have to figure out how to get back to the homeland for this then back to whistler for work and crankworks deuce up here

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
I really don't think anyone's gonna pull any amazing tricks. First of all Berrecloth, Boyko, McDermott, and a bunch of other guys aren't coming. The main pros are the Lacondeguys, Paul B, John Cowan, Kyle Strait, and Cam Zink. They may have added a few in the last couple days but I think that's about it. It's a very technical single line course. Several of you have suggested gapping off the rock. According to a guy I've talked to out there (Joel Alamo (the guy doing the tuck-no-handers on the 1/4) the first drop is kinda easy to overshoot. People are gonna hate that mandatory entrance drop. John Cowan built it and hasn't hit it yet. I don't know that anyone has hit it yet (maybe by now). You can't carry a huge amount of speed off it or you risk flat-bottoming. You also can't see the landing till you're 2' from the edge. It's gonna be tough on slopestyle bikes and no big-name big-bike riders are coming. The rest of the course requires ridiculous speed. The quarter/hip that you hit next is cool but there's only so much you can do with 1/4s and big hips. The step-up to wall-ride to step-down is cool but again there's only so much that can be done on it. The dirt jumps are probably the best trick opportunity. The finishing step-down isn't real tall (~10') but it's got plenty of gap. The step-down might be a good trick opportunity. My guess is any inverted variations will be on the jumps, 360s on jumps and last step-down, tailwhips wherever they can get enough hang-time, and lots of little stuff for style-points (tables, x-ups, barspins, etc.). I'm sure there will be a few surprises but you can only expect so much on a single-line course so huge. Look what happened in Paris. Those jumps were just too big. All the riders were afraid to hang it out there. CW WP has less pros, smaller payout, and is (I believe) two weeks before Crankworx Whistler. They won't be going all out. I still think it'll be sick. I'd like to make a prediction.

1st Andreu Lacondeguy
2nd Paul Bas
3rd Cam Zink

It would be cool if others made their predictions. It would be a fun challenge.

BTW I'm flying from Alabama to volunteer. I obviously think it's going to be cool.

Everyone come out and support this event. I have a feeling the success of CW WP is going to make or break American slopestyle. We lost Monster Park. Lets make Intrawest think that Colorado and this festival are worth any amount of money they can pump into it. This could be HUGE for the future of American bike parks. I believe Intrawest is testing the waters a bit with this thing.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
For anyone interested the course is staying there. I'm going to be out there sessioning it on Sunday. I'm on a black 7Point66RC2X. Say hey if you see my.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
just an fyi buddy, but some of us don't give a crap about how popular slopestyle is in america. looks cool though. flying all the way from alabama just to volunteer? wow, that's dedication.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
I'd much rather watch Sam Hill smoke down Champery in the rain than watch slopestyle. BUT Slopestyle is the big money maker and the easiest form of FR for Joe-Schmo to understand. Not to mention it gets the most attention and draws the biggest crowds as it's the most spectator friendly FR format. in short I believe the success of American bike parks is tied very closely to the success of American slopestyle. It's where the money is.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
just an fyi buddy, but some of us don't give a crap about how popular slopestyle is in america. looks cool though. flying all the way from alabama just to volunteer? wow, that's dedication.
And some of us dont give a crap about racing...:banghead:

Was there much need for that comment? Pretty close minded if you ask me...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
just an fyi buddy, but some of us don't give a crap about how popular slopestyle is in america. .
And some of us don't give a crap about existing as a rolling billboard against a clock too.

But then again we're also smart enough to not feel obligated to read threads that we know don't interest us.

flying all the way from alabama just to volunteer? wow, that's dedication.
So is flying all over the country every summer to compete as a 'professional' in a race series with no payout. Sounds like volunteering to me.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
And some of us don't give a crap about existing as a rolling billboard against a clock too.

But then again we're also smart enough to not feel obligated to read threads that we know don't interest us.

So is flying all over the country every summer to compete as a 'professional' in a race series with no payout. Sounds like volunteering to me.
ZING.

That course looks freaking sick. I have nothing but respect for people who can ride that stuff. I might try some of it if I were there, but for sure wouldn't go nearly as big as most.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Any word on the pro dh course?
From what I have been reading and hearing, there ain't no "pro" course... they're just running the DH race down one of the existing trails. But if you wanna be sure...

http://ww2.skiwinterpark.com/crankworx/contact.htm

I'm headed up tomorrow with Doc and some other folks... hoping that the track is as SMOOTH as they say it is, my shoulder is still hurting quite a bit but I'm fiending to ride some DIRT.

Just don't tell my ortho surgeon, a'ight?