Quantcast

Crankworx Whistler 2014 (euro monkey trip)

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I've just bought tickets to Canada :) I arrive to Whistler on July 29th and leave it on August 19th :)
I am currently looking for 2-3ppl studio/condo... can you suggest anything?

Thx in advance.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
I've just bought tickets to Canada :) I arrive to Whistler on July 29th and leave it on August 19th :)
I am currently looking for 2-3ppl studio/condo... can you suggest anything?

Thx in advance.
http://www.alluradirect.com/whistler/

i have had very good luck with emailing owners and asking for a lower rate. So if you are staying for a monthish, i am sure you can snag something for a decent price.

game.set.match

Last edited:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
http://www.alluradirect.com/whistler/

i have had very good luck with emailing owners and asking for a lower rate. So if you are staying for a monthish, i am sure you can snag something for a decent price.

game.set.match
This guy is on the right track.

Other than that, staff housing actually isn't that bad if you're looking for something cheap, but you can't book it in advance, you have to show up and tell them you want to move in, in person. Yeah they're not luxury units, but you get the basics you need (bed/bathroom/kitchen) and they are fine with you keeping bikes in the room. The downsides are that you'll be sharing a bedroom with one other random, and there's another room with two other randoms in it (and you don't necessarily get to choose who you live with), and that internet is a bit slow and the places are a little spartan, but if you're just there to ride and drink then you'll spend N+0.2hrs there per day, where N is the number of hours you sleep each day.

You can also find accommodation on Craigslist or www.piquenewsmagazine.com classifieds. Pique is legit and reliable, Craigslist does attract a lot of scams. Don't give anyone a CENT without meeting them (or having someone vouch for them at least), especially if they promise to meet you at the airport with the keys or anything like that.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Thx, Guys!
Just out of curiosity, how much do you pay for night/week per person at staff housing?
My budget for accommodation is 600 CAD incl TAX for 21 night per person. We are two, at the moment.
Will I find anything else than a tent? ;)

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Guys, I need your advice.
I want to book this studio
http://www.alluradirect.com/3307/#
As far as I understand, I shall make payments (deposit + remaining amount) via alluradirect, right?
But the owner(?) says:
"If you want to book, please do eTransfer to mcali@telus.net

Once received, I will block the property and send you an access code."
Is this legit? Or some kind of scam?

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Man, you're right! :O You've saved me a lot of money... How could I missed that :O :rant:

Last edited:

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
You have a BBQ and a fridge, don't need much else during the summer! It is also right next to the main supermarket in the Village (the IGA). I lived in Glaciers Reach during the Summer of 2012, super handy place if you don't want a hotel and don't have a vehicle. I had the whole condo though for the whole summer so lulu,d take bikes inside. I wouldn't want to leave bikes in the garage (it's locked, but bikes do go missing in Whistler, be careful).

I had some friends come over last summer, they stayed at Chalet Luise http://www.chaletluisewhistlerinn.com/rooms_and_rates.html it's in white gold so close enough to pedal a Dh rig to the bike park

$600 for short stay accom for 21days is a very tight budget.

Someone mentioned brio staff, you will probably not get a room there. You will most likely only have the glacier as an option. Pushing up haul back piste (staff hill) a couple of times a day sucks! I pedal up it every day for work in the summer. It is CHEAP accomodation for seasonaires earning $10/hour. I stayed there on my first trip to Whistler when I was a uni student, if you're not a student/ski bum then I would advise paying more and going elsewhere.

This 2-3-4 week pass rumour is complete nonsense, it's a season pass if you're riding more than 2 weeks. You're a tourist, you are how places like this survive. The locals who get 100 day seasons and less than $10 days wouldn't support a bike park!

I'd also emplore you to ride outside the bike park, if this is truly a once in a lifetime trip, save up for a heli bike day/bring a trail bike and hop in a float plane. Company's like bearback/ticket2ride will organise that if you don't want to. There is a lot more riding around here than just a bike park.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
You have a BBQ and a fridge, don't need much else during the summer! It is also right next to the main supermarket in the Village (the IGA). I lived in Glaciers Reach during the Summer of 2012, super handy place if you don't want a hotel and don't have a vehicle. I had the whole condo though for the whole summer so lulu,d take bikes inside. I wouldn't want to leave bikes in the garage (it's locked, but bikes do go missing in Whistler, be careful).
I guess I'd have to eat more in town, which would considerably more expensive. Can you estimate daily mean budget, while living in condo with kitchen?

$600 for short stay accom for 21days is a very tight budget.
It seem you're right. I think I have to increase it.

Pushing up haul back piste (staff hill) a couple of times a day sucks!
Why would I need come back home couple of time a day? I usually go out in the morning, and come back at about 4-5 PM...

This 2-3-4 week pass rumour is complete nonsense, it's a season pass if you're riding more than 2 weeks. You're a tourist, you are how places like this survive. The locals who get 100 day seasons and less than $10 days wouldn't support a bike park!
If 2-4 weeks pass would cost i.e 50 or 75% of the season pass price, I could save some money and spend it on i.e. accommodation. But as it seem to be just and old rumor, have to accept season pass as an only option.

I'd also emplore you to ride outside the bike park, if this is truly a once in a lifetime trip, save up for a heli bike day/bring a trail bike and hop in a float plane. Company's like bearback/ticket2ride will organise that if you don't want to. There is a lot more riding around here than just a bike park.
I am afraid my budget is too tight and I don't have enough time to do that :(

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
Because the bike park is open 10-8, and you won't want to be taking your dh bike with you everywhere you go. I'd quite often push home for lunch, then push home after riding and then go into the village and walk up again. I used to hate that hill. But I was a student and couldn't afford better.

If you're happy to live on cereal and pasta dishes, you could probably do $20/day food if you never eat out. There is some good food in Whistler though, I probably spend about $150/week unless I'm being thirty and shopping in squamish. I could easily not use an oven in mid summer though, use my BBQ almost every day.

Biking outside the park doesn't have to be that expensive, heli drops for as little as $130, trail bike is technically free (just a WORCA trail pass/WORCA app). If you can organise with other people then Helis etc don't have to cost the earth.

Also check the exchange rate, since you started this thread the CAD has weakened against the USD/GBP. I'm English though I've lived in Canada a while, and my English credit card is more expensive to use these days!

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Because the bike park is open 10-8, and you won't want to be taking your dh bike with you everywhere you go. I'd quite often push home for lunch, then push home after riding and then go into the village and walk up again. I used to hate that hill. But I was a student and couldn't afford better.
I understand, it's not very convenient, but I am I afraid I can't be very choosy.
Is below location still OK?
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Painted+Cliff+by+ResortQuest/@50.1150758,-122.9401304,18z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x96f356db35d1dfa5
Is it possible to reach it directly from trail?
If not, how long would I have to walk up from city centre?

If you're happy to live on cereal and pasta dishes, you could probably do $20/day food if you never eat out. There is some good food in Whistler though, I probably spend about $150/week unless I'm being thirty and shopping in squamish. I could easily not use an oven in mid summer though, use my BBQ almost every day.
I am usually happy with egs in the morning and pasta in the afternoon :)
OK, I planned to spend about 500CAD in meal

Also check the exchange rate, since you started this thread the CAD has weakened against the USD/GBP. I'm English though I've lived in Canada a while, and my English credit card is more expensive to use these days!
I live in Poland. At the moment Polish currency is quite strong. PLN/USD and PLN/CAD exchange ratio is good. I will try to bring cash, anyway.

Last edited:

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
Painted Cliff is on Blackcomb (the mountain next door to Whistler). So you couldn't ride out their from the park. If you ride on Blackcomb (pedal up only, no lift accessed biking) then you could rid trails home. Roam in the loam comes out just above there, and instant Grat just below. The walk from the village (up the stairs to the bus loop, across lot 1 and up past merlins bar, then walk up the piste to the left of the wizard chairlift) is probably 20-25minutes.

I believe there is also a free shuttle bus to the upper village, so taking grocerys up there wouldn't be an issue. You can put your DH bike on the front of the bus too (only 2 bikes per bus).

Short ride to Lost Lake too, which is nice after a hot days riding.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Thx for more tips, yetihenry!
However, a lot has happened in term of my accommodation since yesterday :)
I've found several interesting studios and condos in Village at very competitive price, so, hopefully, I will stay much closer to lifts, shops, etc.