Quantcast

Crankworx

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Worst coverage of a major event, ever.
this is one of the biggest events of the mountain bike season. Photogs generally wanna save their best shots to try and sell to mags & companies for ads. Filmers are saving their footage for videos. These guys have to make money; its their livelihood. Traveling to Canada isn't free. And neither is all their equipment.

May 12, 2008
Worst coverage of a major event, ever.
It's a tricky balance to achieve.

I'm a rookie at this whole bike-photography-for-cash thing, but bare with me... as has been said, *that compared to uploading photos to non paying websites* the magazines are where the cash comes from to fund coverage (camera gear, flights, hotels, food, diesel, insurance,) - something that a lot of people don't think about is that most outlets (papers, mags, whatever) won't buy a photo if it's been seen already.

So basically, unless the event is nearby and photos are coming from someone not looking to sell them, the photographer in question is getting outside backing to go to the event from one of the sponsors, or a website is paying them to be there (Ha!), then a photographer would be shooting themselves in the foot by putting stuff up on non-paying websites before they've had a chance to sell those shots.

Until the focus of publishing shifts from print media to new media, which could well happen in time, and photographers and journos in the bike industry can get paid the same by websites as they do in print, you'll usually see the best event photos in bike magazines - in the UK, that's pretty much Dirt and MBUK.

As I said, I'm still figuring all this stuff out as a relative newcomer who can only shoot events that fit with my university work, or take place over summer, within reach of my cashflow, but that's my thoughts on it, hopefully it makes it a little clearer why you don't see the volume of photos that you'd like online.

Edited to clear up the first paragraph

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Gee and Rachel Atherton win the garbanzo DH. Sam Hill had a mini off course excursion and then lost his shoe in the mud half way down and had to stop and pull it out of the mud, put it back on and get going again. he got second.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
....it was messy and so awesome, I had so much fun racing today...
Me too. I crashed twice and my calve muscle is locked right now, but that race was sick.

By the way I crashed on the 'easier' parts when I wasn't concentrating. I hit all the tech stuff as I wanted. The last part of the course from HCM across and then down through Monkey Hands was so fast and so much fun. The top was sloppy and slippery, the roots were tretcherous (and fun).

So it looked like conditions got better for the later riders, I was covered after my run. Gee is looking pretty clean in that picture.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Oh, forgot to add, Brendan got his pant leg stuck in his rear caliper (how, I will never know). He rode for about a minute like a circus act with a foot trailing behind him jammed in this brake until they finally tore or something.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It's a tricky balance to achieve.

\ the magazines are where the cash comes from to fund coverage (camera gear, flights, hotels, food, diesel, insurance,)
As mentioned, this is absolutely NOT The case. Magazines don't pay worth crap. If commercial photos didn't sell, you'd barely see any photos from races as no photographers would bother going.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Thanks Fraser. Watching those guys come through the last wooded section on Monkey Hands was so sick. Nico Vink was just styling though there, Steve Smith looked quick too. What was insane was just how quiet the pro's bikes are.

And yeah, Whistler DOES need to host a WC. That would just be sick.

May 12, 2008
Could possibly be the funniest thing ever written on pinkbike...I mean ridemonkey.
As mentioned, this is absolutely NOT The case. Magazines don't pay worth crap. If commercial photos didn't sell, you'd barely see any photos from races as no photographers would bother going.
Ok - didn't mean it in that respect at all (and to be honest I wasn't entirely sure what you were meaning until I re-read what I'd written).

I was just talking about magazines (that do pay) in relation to how putting photos on a website you're involved with, doesn't pay (excluding whether or not ad revenue may increase a bit due to higher site traffic), and how that can impact on the photos we see online. Nothing more than that. I'm certainly not dumb enough to think that the money magazines give you can pay for a trip to World Cups that involve long haul jet travel, especially with how much everything costs right now!

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Nah, the money is from what the sponsors will pay for the photos to use in the adverts in the magazines. So the money kinda does come from the mags, but not directly.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Remember the pic on the table of contents of Gracia in a parking lot throwing little one handed or one footed manuals that read "Gracia in an Oakley photo shoot". Then a few months later that exact pose was an Oakley ad with major photoshop work done to make him look like it was a viscous trick of insane proportion? (Derailment over)

May I request that the Freecaster vid be posted a second time and this time take off the slow mo button so we can see why slalom is so intense? Could care less about who's zipping by...just want to see the ZIPPING full speed! :D

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
If anyone cares...

Here is a gallery of shots from my trip. Let me preface it by saying, I only brought my little 5d and 2 lenses (fisheye and 24-105 zoom), my sensor is dirty as hell, could not be bothered to clean it or fix in PS until someone needs em. Only took about 200 pics the whole time, 100 of em were family crap (zipline, rock climbing, river, bla bla bla) but this gallery is a couple family BS and mostly slalom pics with little variety-I got stuck watching my kid while the wife raced so couldnt get much shooting in.

Party on

Stikman.

pics are
www.craigstikmanglaspell.com/whistler08/

Last edited:
May 12, 2008
Really like 34 (Matti Lehikoinen) and 35 (Neethling), sharp and tight - the lighting on the wide shots of the slalom gives them a great atmosphere.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
If anyone cares...

Here is a gallery of shots from my trip. Let me preface it by saying, I only brought my little 5d and 2 lenses (fisheye and 24-105 zoom), my sensor is dirty as hell, could not be bothered to clean it or fix in PS until someone needs em. Only took about 200 pics the whole time, 100 of em were family crap (zipline, rock climbing, river, bla bla bla) but this gallery is a couple family BS and mostly slalom pics with little variety-I got stuck watching my kid while the wife raced so couldnt get much shooting in.

Party on

Stikman.

pics are
www.craigstikmanglaspell.com/whistler08/
Nothing like having that FF 12.8 MP sensor eh! Got some good ones in there. Like the 1st mountain shot.