Quantcast

Crankworx

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So, Freecaster is here in Crankworx to bring you daily vids all festival long.

Will try and get a helmet cam run of garbanzo up today. I am shooting editing this one myself, so no promises on anything exceptional as I am no video guy.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
been doing top to bottom laps on the garb dh course since saturday....although I took a break yesterday....it's dried out a lot, it was grease city on saturday. lots of big holes and off-camber roots on in deep.....hope the rain holds off for the weekend, but glad I did lots of laps in the wet if it does get ugly.........phat wed race goes tonight on the cdn open course too......

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Rumour would have it:

osin-osin-blue velvet-in deep-in deep-duffman-golden triangle-world cup singletrack-ho chi minh-monkey hands-glc drop.

Still can't decide whether to do this or the Canadian Open... Did the open last year but the crowds and business got old pretty quick.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Rumour would have it:

osin-osin-blue velvet-in deep-in deep-duffman-golden triangle-world cup singletrack-ho chi minh-monkey hands-glc drop.

Still can't decide whether to do this or the Canadian Open... Did the open last year but the crowds and business got old pretty quick.
yup, you've got it....open course is going to be mega fast, right under fitz chair, should be interesting to see how it's looking this aft after being open for a couple days.....

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
yup, you've got it....open course is going to be mega fast, right under fitz chair, should be interesting to see how it's looking this aft after being open for a couple days.....
Last year's Open course was bad ass. That gap over Crank-It-Up was fun. I think I blew that left hand sweeper after it 65% of the time...Not to mention the finish gapper...hardcore.

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Garbanzo course is awesome fun, but brutal. Anyone (and this includes me) that isn't 110% fit is going to be completely beat by the end. It's relentless. My buddy summed it up nicely saying, "You have this niggling voice at the back of your mind telling you your frame could snap at any moment." Maybe I should do both...

If it rains, the section of the open course where it crosses Schleyer is going to be crazy. It's straight down the mountain in soft, peaty loam.

Last edited:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Last year's Open course was bad ass. That gap over Crank-It-Up was fun. I think I blew that left hand sweeper after it 65% of the time...Not to mention the finish gapper...hardcore.
this year there's a 20+ft step down gap right under fitz before heading back into the woods beween lower joyride and rock city....

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
this year there's a 20+ft step down gap right under fitz before heading back into the woods beween lower joyride and rock city....
You reckon it's 20ft? I didn't think it was *that* big. It was the blind approach and slight kink on the run-in that had me second guessing it for a while.

I have to say, though, if I had to choose 10 metres of trail to be my favourite in the park, that bit where you drop off the log onto all those off camber roots on lower joyride would probably take it...

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
You reckon it's 20ft? I didn't think it was *that* big. It was the blind approach and slight kink on the run-in that had me second guessing it for a while.

I have to say, though, if I had to choose 10 metres of trail to be my favourite in the park, that bit where you drop off the log onto all those off camber roots on lower joyride would probably take it...
hmmm, close to 20? it's definitely not as bad as it looks from the chair...watched a couple folk hit it monday evening, started at the clownshoes split, few pedals, coasted in to it and cleared it no problem...

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
©2001;3017717 said:
any slopesteezer course shots? rumor at c-wrx CO was that it was "too small". true? false?

eli krahenbuhl garbanzo podium this year
it'll probably be good for trickin'.....but to be honest, it kinda lacks any pazzazz....I hardly see anyone riding it compared to years past....slopestyle is quickly becoming overshadowed by real bike racin' at crankworx....imho, and I am completely fine with that....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
©2001;3017717 said:
any slopesteezer course shots? rumor at c-wrx CO was that it was "too small". true? false?

Nowhere near as big as in years past, but jumps look right this year, no more landing to flat.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
©2001;3018282 said:
rad. hopefully it'll make for a better show and will be safer for everyone. save the giant drops for rampage, with steep landings and soft dirt.

No sh1t. For the last couple of years, it seemed as if things were getting closer and closer to a huge 'who is most willing to risk injury' contest...and that ground is NOT soft once it has set-up.

Starting back when Timo gapped the entire scaffolding and landed in the village.....that last jump especially has been risky....and just not that cool to watch.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
saw some guy almost eat it on the stump there today. Gnarly.
phat wed race tonight, one practice run, with stops....first time down the course no-stops and first time sending the gap, race run.....I'll admit, it's been a while since I had that kind of adreneline pumping through me after finishing a run.....it's a freaking rad course....

Attachments

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
So, Freecaster is here in Crankworx to bring you daily vids all festival long.

Will try and get a helmet cam run of garbanzo up today. I am shooting editing this one myself, so no promises on anything exceptional as I am no video guy.
Just remember Fraser.....star wipe, star wipe, STAR WIPE!!

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
This thread is growing dull without pics and/or vids.

Cheers to those that have contributed however.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
ok damo...this isn't from whistler, but semenuk practicing at crankworx CO to get some juices flowing. kid kills it!

[bliptv]mwnG6VAA[/bliptv]

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
Anyone ideas how is the canadian open course?
Getting there on friday and I'm in for the race (haven't raced for so long) but just finished the design of a DH bike and decided to go there with a friend as I've never been in Whistler.

Thanks for the info!

HBGCS

Chimp
Jul 18, 2008
©2001;3017717 said:

I agree EK on the box:clapping:

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
The open course is rad! They did a toonie race on it last night. Very steep, very tech, very loamy and some nice big hucks.
Sweet hope I am not to rusty, too much without doing downhills.
Also hope bike can make it for 10 days, the frame proto is around 3.6kg with no shock and 15.5kg full build, hehe!

You know if Minnaar is around there?