Quantcast

Crankworx

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
If anyone cares...

Here is a gallery of shots from my trip. Let me preface it by saying, I only brought my little 5d and 2 lenses (fisheye and 24-105 zoom), my sensor is dirty as hell, could not be bothered to clean it or fix in PS until someone needs em. Only took about 200 pics the whole time, 100 of em were family crap (zipline, rock climbing, river, bla bla bla) but this gallery is a couple family BS and mostly slalom pics with little variety-I got stuck watching my kid while the wife raced so couldnt get much shooting in.

Party on

Stikman.

pics are
www.craigstikmanglaspell.com/whistler08/
Really cool stuff stik! I went up the garbonzo lift for the first time. I should take the gondola to the top and check it out. I rode Freight train, then Goats Gulley and In Deep :D. Those trails were so wet and greasy.

I really like #39 and the other berm shots. Those would make awesome posters. I think my favorite riding shot is the one with Mike Haderer.

Cranx

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
Does anyone know what Sam Hill's split time in the Garbanzo was? Commentators on the video didn't seem to know.

I know his crash was early in the race and I think the split must be about a third of the way down, so I assume he crashed before that point. I'm curious to know if the lost shoe came before or after the split, and how much he was shifting it in the bottom half of the course.

Big thanks to anyone who can shed light on this.

Last edited:
R

rb92078

Does anyone know what Sam Hill's split time in the Garbanzo was? Commentators on the video didn't seem to know.

I know his crash was early in the race and I think the split must be about a third of the way down, so I assume he crashed before that point. I'm curious to know if the lost shoe came before or after the split, and how much he was shifting it in the bottom half of the course.

From what I heard he crashed at the top, lost his shoe, looked for it for what seemed like forever, finally got riding again, talked to some people on the way down about his lost shoe, rinsed his bike off just before the last 2 min of course, all to come down through the finish with a shiny bike and a shoe. As well as in second. Damn Sam is fast

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca

I do not think the words 'times' and 'whistler' mix very well.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
haha that interview with sam hill at the end of the first video cracks me up. that just proves that he's a robot...blank stare and a one liner haha

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
this might of been written somewhere in the 8pages or so. but what trails exactly were the garbo dh race on? i see In Deep but thats bot it. thanks guys!

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Speaking of the A-Line race . . . Holy crap:

James McSkimming (19 YO amateur and son of Rob McSkimming, basically the head honcho of the bike park) had a time in the Expert Class that would have put him top-10 in the Pro class and only 0.6 out of the Top 5. That's nuts!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Ah, fully aware of what A-line is like, didn't realise that was the course that the race was on. Still a good effort by Lopes to beat top DHers though.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Pretty sure all the top guys meet before this race every year over a few beers, shake hands and agree to give the old man this one, you know, just to give him something to tell the kids for the next year or so.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
How did Lopes beat Minnaar, Kovarik, Beaumont etc etc in a DH race?

http://www.crankworx.com/results-2008/results.php?event=airdh

Or is there something quirky about this DH race that I don't know?
I'm more upset you slackers didn't notice this shocking news :clue::

"A-Line is a really great trail to ride, but when it comes to racing on it, you need to be on point," says Brian Lopes, Jim Beam Air Downhill winner.
"It's a technical race and with the level of riders here, every mistake counts."

Lopes claimed first with a time of 4:22.10; Greg Minnaar of Murrieta, CA took second place with a time of 4:23.42; Chris Kovarik of Whistler, BC took third place with a time of 4:27.60; and Marc Beaumont of Craven Arms, UK took fourth place with a time of 4:28.77

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
One more thing. It's kinda lame to have to run over to Pinkbike, Dirt & others to get pics and info on this stuff. Sure do wish there was someone from Ridemonkey with an Apple Iphone & the 3G network that could do some real time updates.....

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
One more thing. It's kinda lame to have to run over to Pinkbike, Dirt & others to get pics and info on this stuff. Sure do wish there was someone from Ridemonkey with an Apple Iphone & the 3G network that could do some real time updates.....
Fraser our crankworx reporter is too busy sucking off hammershcmeldt.

hellonasty

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
MSA
Chris Kovarick is now engaged with Claire Buchar I think, so he might get double nationality if he gets married to her.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Chris Kovarick is now engaged with Claire Buchar I think, so he might get double nationality if he gets married to her.
where the hell did that come from??? How is it related to this thread????!?!?

On the other hand, yes he is with Claire which is probably the reason why he's been in Whistler for over a month already, kind gave him a slight advantage.
He looked really fast, I mean it was pretty obvious he was gonna make the podium.

I completely disagree on the Lopes theory, the man look clearly faster than the others, like he cranked it up a notch...Followed him down the trail a couple of times and he has some "sneaky" lines compare to most riders...so does Bryceland as well.

Now I cant wait for the GIANT dual slalom , this is going to be SICK!!!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
where the hell did that come from??? How is it related to this thread????!?!?

On the other hand, yes he is with Claire which is probably the reason why he's been in Whistler for over a month already, kind gave him a slight advantage.
He looked really fast, I mean it was pretty obvious he was gonna make the podium.

I completely disagree on the Lopes theory, the man look clearly faster than the others, like he cranked it up a notch...Followed him down the trail a couple of times and he has some "sneaky" lines compare to most riders...so does Bryceland as well.

Now I cant wait for the GIANT dual slalom , this is going to be SICK!!!
Bizutch wondered why Kovariks name was listed as residing in 'Whistler BC'...he thought it was newsworthy, someone mentioned he is engaged to Claire....that is why it was in the thread.

As for an 'advantage', I think CK got beat by 4 seconds or so?

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I've raced twice now and both times there are loads of photog's on the course but I've not seen many photo's offered to "joe-public". If anyone out there is hoarding photo's my plate number is 615. I'm looking forward to seeing them and am more than willing to pay for a good shot.

Oh and the race yesterday was a lot of fun. There was a great vibe on the start line for the 'old guys'.

ebxtreme

Monkey
Apr 25, 2007
Bellingham
Ya'll need to see Whafe's pics of Crankworx on mtbr (in the passion forum). Bike park riding, competitions and some killer xc rides. Much better stuff than I've seen on here.

Cheers,
EB

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Also love how some toolbag on MTBR says: "aline, it's not a true DH race by any means".
To be fair, I can understand that comment, in that there's nothing that we'd normally associate with technical difficulty. No roots or tricky corners to deal with. Does it take skills and athleticism to post the times some of these guys are? For sure, but it's a different bag of skills to those used in your run of the mill DH race.

I noticed Lopes didn't want to suffer the indignation of being overtaken on the Garbanzo race this year?

FastTimes

Monkey
Jul 2, 2002
Toronto
Also love how some toolbag on MTBR says: "aline, it's not a true DH race by any means".

Well, it isn't is it? That doesn't take away from the fact that it's a great track and the best rider is the one who kills it on that day, Lopes is ubber fit, focused is obviously very well suited to a jump filled, high intensity track. If BL is focused on something he'll get it. The fact that's it's not a typical track doesn't take away from it's merit in my mind.

Note: MTBR does Equal toolbag.