Quantcast

Cranky Monkey XC races at Wakefield

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
Has anyone ever done these races? I have done one xc race before, but it wasnt too long and did pretty well. How long
(miles) are these races? Is there a certain age/ability group. I am only 16 so I don't know what the whole age policy is

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the WAW races have quite a turn out and yes there are different classes for age and ability. i think last year 3 laps equaled just over 10 miles. the beginners and youth classes normally only do 2 laps.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Has anyone ever done these races? I have done one xc race before, but it wasnt too long and did pretty well. How long
(miles) are these races? Is there a certain age/ability group. I am only 16 so I don't know what the whole age policy is
Never raced them, but volunteered at quite a few. All the info is at EX2 Adventures

[Tha]Shovla

Monkey
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow
I did the whole circut one year and then another year just the third race. They are good races and the beginer is around 10 or 12 miles average and goes up to like 15 at one race. One of the races, the third one i think, is at wakefield and its a closed loop, 2 miles i think, with a time limit so you just start in the group and haul ass for as long as your group goes, beginer was 35 minutes, and complete as many laps as you can in that time. they made that course very fun with lots of fast sections and great passing oportunities,

the courses at wakefield are not that hilly and the terrain is like packed multi trafic dirt, some rocks but nothing consistant.

they also race at 2 other parks, cant remember the names, the one is very up and down and rooty as well good techky single track and the beginer race at that one was like 16 miles. i havnt raced at the army base they aded that last year and i didnt do the whole circut last year just the one race.

My only gripe is that its too damn early in the morning. the beginers usually go off at like 8:00 or something like AM. and thats too darn early to race as far as im concerned. if they were later in the day i would be all about it but after that one year it was too much to drag my butt outta bed to go race that early.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
well i guess i will add a little more info to the WAW races. there are not many good places to pass, also people for the most part are all about holding up faster riders at the races. it seemed to be better last year verse years before so maybe people are getting the point. see i know i'm slow of the uphills so i will let people past me no problem at all but i'm pretty quick on the dh parts and it seems most of the time people are total unwilling to give the position back.

its a good time none the less. it can be pretty competitive out there, but the cool thing is that no one is aggressive unlike some races. hope to see you out there. maybe this year i will be able to race more than one of the races

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
I need to get my endurance up. My bike is pretty much dead right now. I am going out to Utah in July so it will give me some time to ride/train. Saving for a better am/xc bike. Around DC, I think it is more fun for XC/AM type stuff since the mountains are far away. Is wakefield open year-round for biking?

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
yep year round. i'm actually going out there tomorrow at some point in time. so is fountain head and most other local places. the only place that is not open year round is shaffer farms, its only open in the summer see that it is and active farm.

also i work at a performance bike shop you should stop by sometime and we can discuss a new xc/am bike. we got some killer new options for 08.