Quantcast

crap always hits the fan at most unopportune times

thesacrifice

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Keep in mind my Whistler trip begins Tuesday

Buddy and I decided to tackle Capitol Forest today. As I'm pedaling my bike out of my garage to my rig the chain snaps. Shiot. I take it over to the Peak to see if it can be salvaged and dude hooks it up and says good to go. We shuttle and unload at our spot. We just wanted to do a short fast downhill run so we went to the top of the lower dirtbike trail that has all the bricks etc.

As we're pedaling away from rig to the trail the chain snaps again, the derailleur eats a spoke (I think) and snaps my hanger.

Turn around and drive down.. NEVER! The chain is broke but still hanging onto the derailleur so I walk to the beggining of the downhill trail and attach the chain to my camelbak and start rolling down. Of course after a while of shaking the chain loses the derailleur. Having no tools in hand the derailleur was just hanging their limp...still attached to the shifting cable.

What's next? I shove the derailleur inbetween a strap of my shin pads and continue rolling down. Wish I had a picture. It's pretty scary not having any pedal power...not being able to torque through sketchy sections sucks, and its pretty funny having your derailleur attached to your shinpads, hoping you dont ruin a $100 piece of hardware

Anyhow, it's Saturday night, Whistler is 3 days away, most shops are closed Monday, damn damn damn, and who the hell is going to have a Yeti Derailleur in stock?

I call up Allen in Bham (Dropnzone) and leave him a voicemail. While I'm in the shower he returns my call and leaves me a message. Sure enough he has some in stock and is stoked to help me out. He said he might be out of town on Tuesday but will hook me up with it one way or another! Grade A dude!

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the derailleur is functional. I'll have to stop at another shop (if Allen's isnt being run by a shophand) and have a new chain thrown on (any recommendations of shops on the way between BHAM and Whistler)

Anyhow that is my long winded rant... Hopefully my misfortune now is not a bird of ill omen for Whistler

Denny

Chimp
Aug 27, 2002
Seattle, WA
You should pick up an extra derailleur hanger and a chain tool, so it won't be the end of the world when this happens next time :) I carry this and more in my camelbak...

Have fun in Whistler!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Good advice. I try to keep an extra hanger on hand for those times.... or for when other peoples bikes break and we do a getto conversion to keep things rolling. Also the power link on a SRAM chain is very helpful in a bind. Sounds like your re-install of your chain wasnt done right?

Hope your W trip goes good!