Quantcast

Crash - Front wheel out of true

AirKnight

Chimp
Aug 12, 2001
Amherst, NY
I was riding in today in the wet and did an endo. The front wheel came out of true as a result of the crash. I learned how to basically true a wheel, but the problem is I think the rim is bent. Is there a way I can true it out? or is the wheel totally trashed?

The reason I think the rim is bent is because the right side (lookin from sitting on the bike) of the out of true part has proper tension, but the left side which is hitting the brake pad is loose.

I really don't want to get another set of wheels now because I just can't afford it. Any suggestion?

R

RideMonkey

This is a tricky subject.

Yes, sounds like you have bent the rim. If you have loose spokes on the side that is protruding, it usually means irrepairable rim damage. Most shops would tell you to scrap it and get a new one.

BUT....... I used to work at a shop that would fix EVERYTHING. We would actually take bent rims and bend them back over our knees and then true the wheels. This is tricky work. It would never be perfect but it would get the bike going again. If you are doing any serious off road I wouldn't attempt this.

alienmachine

Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Denver, CO
I now have the same problem...where is this shop? I have no money right now and I commute with my bike.

A truck turned left infront of me this morning and I did an endo and front handspring dismount over the hood at 25 mph. Some days I wish I had a helmet cam.

AirKnight

Chimp
Aug 12, 2001
Amherst, NY
This really sucks then! I'm going to go to a bike trip at Jim Thorpe this weekend, and I don't have time nor the money to get new wheels... So, I can try that knee bending method?

I wished I had checked the lacing pattern before I bought it. I hate radial lace.

R

RideMonkey

I wouldnt try to bend it, especially on a radial wheel. Bummer about the ride..........

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Its toast. If you have to set the spokes on one side of the wonk loose, the rim has been bent. It is possible to bend it back close. Loosen all the spokes in the vicinity and clamp the bend bit in a vice sandwiched between a couple blocks of wood. Not too tight either as that can squish the rim. Then bend it back and retighten and true. It will never be as good though but you can make it better than it is. If you run it with loose spokes you'll probably toast it pretty easily. Start shopping for a new rim though. And don't build with old spokes.