Quantcast

crash replacement policies - who's got experience with them?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Anyone ever had to deal with crash replacement policies? I cracked the frame on my 575 and it's beyond the 5yr warranty... Yeti is offing me a replacement frame for $1800, but I can get the same frame for $1700 from JensonUSA. I thought there was supposed to a fairly significant discount/incentive associated with the crash replacement?

What am I missing? If they are going to charge me MSPR, where is the incentive to stick with Yeti?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Turner has been amazing in terms of crash replacements, even for a frame I bought used and was past the warranty. Had a new frame on my door step in less than a week free of charge.

Sadly I have a snapped front triangle of my '05 Burner sitting in my garage, but they have nothing to replace it at the moment. They offer to take $600 off any new frame, but that's still almost $2k I'd have to spend.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Niner sold me a frame after mine cracked out of warranty for $300, which I felt pretty damn good about. That being said, my frame did crack in an area that had a known defect, so I'm not sure if that made a difference or not. If thats the best Yeti is willing to do for you I'd see to no particular reason to stay brand loyal.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Wow, you can spend $100 MORE to replace your busted one? That's a deal!

I would say anything over 50% is crazy, but Jenson might have some crazy deal, too. If it wasn't from doing something real stupid like running it into the garage, I would think they would be more supportive.

<edit> OK< Yeti has some splaining to do.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Mountain-Bike-frames/Yeti-575-Frame-2012

A 2012 575 for $1700. Not old stock, not previously built, not scratch and dent. WTF, $1800 for a crash replacement.

Last edited:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Yeti is offing me a replacement frame for $1800, but I can get the same frame for $1700 from JensonUSA.
Strange. Yeti has them listed on there site for...

FRAME ONLY
575 ALLOY FACTORY RP23 $1,700
575 ALLOY PERFORMANCE RP2 $1,600

http://www.yeticycles.com/bikes.php#/bikes/575

I know a few manufacturers have taken a price increase recently though so old stock will be cheaper.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Sounds like your local shop wasn't giving you the straight truth. At $1300, that is still a good deal. Were you expecting cost? The frame is more than 5 years old. The way warranty is normally done is that Yeti sells to the dealer at less than wholesale, then the dealer gets their slice. At least that is how my shop explained it to me when I cracked my 303 frame.

If you think 25% off retail is still too much to replace a bike that you broke, than find another bike that you can get for that price. Think about it - what other industry will replace their product at a discounted rate after it has broken from years of regular use?

Think about it from outside of the bike industry. Say you had a fancy pan that you paid $150 for five years ago. After five years of regular use, the Teflon coating has started to peel off making the pan useless. Would you call the manufacturer to get a new pan at a discounted price, or go buy a new one? You would go buy a new one because it broke under regular use. What about the shocks on your car? They break (wear out) under regular use. Would you call Monroe and expect them to give you a new pair for half price? They are wear products, much like a bike frame, and should be handled as such.

*edit - that part in italics would be the same for any product, any manufacturer.

Last edited:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I see you're point, Joker... but I'm not saying it's isn't a fair or reasonable offer, just not worth it IMO.

Part of it is also an matter of expectations. When I first cracked the frame, I called Yeti directly to ask about warranty coverage. They said it was out of warranty, but that they offered a "heavily discounted crash replacement program" that I needed to contact a dealer about. IMO, 24% is not "heavily discounted"... but I guess it could be heavily discounted on Yeti's end, but Competitive Cyclist is trying to get a cut, and maybe a bigger than normal cut since they didn't sell me the bike in the first place (and thus haven't made any money off me).

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I see you're point, Joker... but I'm not saying it's isn't a fair or reasonable offer, just not worth it IMO.

Part of it is also an matter of expectations. When I first cracked the frame, I called Yeti directly to ask about warranty coverage. They said it was out of warranty, but that they offered a "heavily discounted crash replacement program" that I needed to contact a dealer about. IMO, 24% is not "heavily discounted"... but I guess it could be heavily discounted on Yeti's end, but Competitive Cyclist is trying to get a cut, and maybe a bigger than normal cut since they didn't sell me the bike in the first place (and thus haven't made any money off me).
The margin on bikes/frames is low compared to other industries. Most shops make money on accessories/labor.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Sounds like your local shop wasn't giving you the straight truth. At $1300, that is still a good deal. Were you expecting cost? The frame is more than 5 years old. The way warranty is normally done is that Yeti sells to the dealer at less than wholesale, then the dealer gets their slice. At least that is how my shop explained it to me when I cracked my 303 frame.

If you think 25% off retail is still too much to replace a bike that you broke, than find another bike that you can get for that price. Think about it - what other industry will replace their product at a discounted rate after it has broken from years of regular use?

Think about it from outside of the bike industry. Say you had a fancy pan that you paid $150 for five years ago. After five years of regular use, the Teflon coating has started to peel off making the pan useless. Would you call the manufacturer to get a new pan at a discounted price, or go buy a new one? You would go buy a new one because it broke under regular use. What about the shocks on your car? They break (wear out) under regular use. Would you call Monroe and expect them to give you a new pair for half price? They are wear products, much like a bike frame, and should be handled as such.

*edit - that part in italics would be the same for any product, any manufacturer.

thats not really the same.

when you buy a bike frame, if the manufacterer offers a "crash replacement" program... it would be safe to assume, some of the cost (for the company) for such future discount is already included in the purchase price.

if the "crash replacement program" ends up being the manufacturer selling you at retail... then:
a) its a scam
b) the manufacturer is an idiot who did not take into account hidden costs, and now it cannot afford to honor is program.

if the manufacturer did not offer a "crash replacement" program included with new unit sales, then i´d not say a thing, nor expect a discount or anything, and pay full price for the replacement.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
The margin on bikes/frames is low compared to other industries. Most shops make money on accessories/labor.
i always hear "the margin is low compared to other industries" for many industrial sales.... well, actually, the margins for bikes are pretty good.

with heavy machinery, you have a 2%-3% margin.. with cars, you have a little bit more....
in general, the business model for machinery sales (which bikes, essentially are) is basically low-margin sale price / high-margin after sales-service... its just the way it is, nothing too special about the bike business (specially considering the margins on new bikes are a whole lot more than 2%-3%)..

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
TR was good to me when I cracked my Blindside. I got a good deal on a new TR450, shock included for a good deal. The bike was almost 3 years old.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
i always hear "the margin is low compared to other industries" for many industrial sales.... well, actually, the margins for bikes are pretty good.

with heavy machinery, you have a 2%-3% margin.. with cars, you have a little bit more....
in general, the business model for machinery sales (which bikes, essentially are) is basically low-margin sale price / high-margin after sales-service... its just the way it is, nothing too special about the bike business (specially considering the margins on new bikes are a whole lot more than 2%-3%)..
Exactly, what I said. You can't expect a ridiculously low price on a replacement frame.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
A brand new 575 for $1,300 is a great deal.
This. I would be lucky to sell my one year old 575 with a Pushed shock for $1100. $1300 for a new frame with shock AND warranty AND crash replacement in the future is really damn good.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I had an 07 303 crack at the head tube about a year ago. Way out of warranty and the second (or third owner). Yeti offered me a new 303 frame for $500 less than retail. It was still a lot of money and I have a crash replacement credit for when I can buy a new bike, but it sure is better than retail.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Earl had great luck getting his 575 warrantied. Sorry you aren't having good luck :( Maybe we just lucked out, but when his frame cracked, just over the warranty period, they took a look and warrantied it. I paid the extra to get him the carbon upgrade but they were quick and easy to deal with. We did go through the shop he bought the original 575 at (Trailbalzers) so maybe that's a difference.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Earl had great luck getting his 575 warrantied. Sorry you aren't having good luck :( Maybe we just lucked out, but when his frame cracked, just over the warranty period, they took a look and warrantied it. I paid the extra to get him the carbon upgrade but they were quick and easy to deal with. We did go through the shop he bought the original 575 at (Trailbalzers) so maybe that's a difference.
That's cool. I have wondered if things would be different if Trailblazers was still around (where I bought the bike) and I could deal with Victor. I'm sure it's a yeti policy thing, but I doubt Competitive Cyclist is doing me any favors.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

Part of it is also an matter of expectations... IMO, 24% is not "heavily discounted"...
problem found. 24% is sizeable. If you made $100,000 a year and your boss cut you to $76,000 it would feel heavy. If you could earn 24% on your investments, you'd be stoked.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
problem found. 24% is sizeable. If you made $100,000 a year and your boss cut you to $76,000 it would feel heavy. If you could earn 24% on your investments, you'd be stoked.
But 24% off electronics or jewelry is nothing. Like I said, it's about expectations. If the margin on frames is that low, then so be it, and my expectations are off.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Busted my Titus after about 5 years, got a great deal from the shop on a replacement even though the bike was out of warranty. Way more than I expected, but that may have been because the shop was in the transaction.