Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
UNBELIEVABLE : Crash Testing: MINI Cooper vs Ford F150
:eek:
http://www.bridger.us/2002/12/16/CrashTestingMINICooperVsFordF150

I saw this somewhere else been posted.

You should think the F150 would win this test, because there's lots of space to use for Ford to make it a very safe vehicle. :?
So as it seems it looks like a P.O.S. :dead: :(

But still i would like a truck...but it should be much tougher. And it's a old article i see... i surely hope they have made big improvements, as i have read. Because the half of america is riding these sort of cars.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
So if you want a F150 truck, buy a mini.

Now to get serious, the guys at BMW did a super job with the mini, the chassis is simply incredible... the test above shows that it is superb in a crash test, other tests show that the chassis can handle easily 250bhp engine power in a race track etc.

The only shortcoming... the luggage compartment... too small... ah well i must buy an Audi A3 TFSI or S3, or an Impreza STi or Mitsubishi EvoIX ... well new thread i guess.

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
math2014 said:
So if you want a F150 truck, buy a mini.

Now to get serious, the guys at BMW did a super job with the mini, the chassis is simply incredible... the test above shows that it is superb in a crash test, other tests show that the chassis can handle easily 250bhp engine power in a race track etc.

The only shortcoming... the luggage compartment... too small... ah well i must buy an Audi A3 TFSI or S3, or an Impreza STi or Mitsubishi EvoIX ... well new thread i guess.
HAHAAH yes indeed. Or a bling bling escalade..enough luggage compartment...

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I think that was around the 03-4 model year. That generation truck was the most unsafe car on the road. Any time you see the roof bend and buckle it's a bad thing for passengers.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
There was this class they made me take in high school called Physics.

I seem to remember hearing something about mass and momentum :think:

I wonder why when you throw a ping pong ball against the wall it bounces back, but when you throw an apple against the wall it gets destroyed :D

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
Echo said:
There was this class they made me take in high school called Physics.

I seem to remember hearing something about mass and momentum :think:

I wonder why when you throw a ping pong ball against the wall it bounces back, but when you throw an apple against the wall it gets destroyed :D

You got a point there... :D i think this is very obvious why this happens.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
I went with my friend to test drive some mini's this weekend. They're a lot of fun. He's going to get a Cooper S, with the whatever supercharger kit, the Johnny Works thingamajig.

It's like a go kart, so much fun..

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
That was the 1997-2003 model year F150s.

Another good link:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3738415/

In 2001, O'Neill told us that the F-150 was one of the worst vehicles he'd ever seen in the test facility.

"His is as bad as it gets in terms of crash performance," said O'Neill. "Look at the collapse of the compartment. That is not a safety cage."

The Ford F-150 got the Institute's lowest rating, a poor, and O'Neill cautioned against buying it.

"I wouldn't put my family, my wife or myself in a vehicle like this," said O'Neill.

Funny you should post this. I saw a Mini rear end an F150 a while back during my commute home. The mini absolutely destroyed the F150. The truck bed looked like a draw bridge. The mini on the other hand didn't even look as bad as the attached picture that started this thread. That's when I realized the Mini wasn't quite the death trap I thought it was.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The Mini looks like all fun and games, but I would hate to be a passenger in it if it was ever rear ended.

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
There is NOTHING about driving a truck...suv....whatever... than driving a passenger vehicle. Take a look at a pickemup after a good rollover... Your much more likely to be in a serious accident in a truck than you are a passenger vehicle. I think it was around 5 times more likely, but I'm not sure... Kind of a big trade off for poor gass millage and the ability to park a truck next to a bunch of sedans at the camp trailhead.......

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
Craw said:
I went with my friend to test drive some mini's this weekend. They're a lot of fun. He's going to get a Cooper S, with the whatever supercharger kit, the Johnny Works thingamajig.

if i could buy one, i def would do it.. there so cool .

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Here's my thought on this test.

They run these cars into a stationary wall at a certain speed I think. Well the force behind the truck is much larger as it is a heavy vehicle right?
I think this test would look much different if that smashed the F150 and the mini cooper into eachother at 30-40 mph.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
golgiaparatus said:
Here's my thought on this test.

They run these cars into a stationary wall at a certain speed I think. Well the force behind the truck is much larger as it is a heavy vehicle right?
I think this test would look much different if that smashed the F150 and the mini cooper into eachother at 30-40 mph.
:stupid: the title is misleading.

Show me a crash test of a Mini-cooper into a F150 (head on)... then lets see what they look like. :evil:

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Craw said:

Did you get G-Face while on your test ride?

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
shocktower said:
Here`s what they look like after a semi hit`s it at about 60 MPH,and yes 2 kid`s where killed in this
Hmmm...
The truck in the picture is a "new" F-150. The truck being discussed to sart this thread is the older F-150. I believe the new one has set some new standard for construction, undoubtedly spurred on by the results of crach testing on the previous versions.
If you are implying that two kids died due to a flaw in design in the truck pictured I would have to disagree. If I was hit by a semi at 60 mph I would only hope my vehicle was in as good a shape as that one. Looks to me like the truck cab is still structurally sound.
There is a Ford commercial that just recently started running where two bulldozers start pushing on each end of a new F-150 crew cab. The front and rear of the truck crush severely but the cab retains its structure. Bell rings and 4 lab coat wearing nerds open the doors and walk away. The point being that the new cab design is so good that the nerds would be willing to sit in the truck as it is crushed by two bulldozers.

As for the person that said "Half of [A]merica" deserves what they get." , are you implying that because they bought a truck(SUV) they deserve what they get or because they bought a Ford, or ?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sandwich said:
G face? Go, go, go, go, you know, GO?

I wish MINI would come out with an AWD cooper S...holy snap, can you say evo eater?
uh, yeah, because 160 hp is super hot. :oink:

anyway, you people who correctly note that the ford is heavier have a point. however, the flip side of that coin is what happens when you crash into an immovable object as in the photo -- soccer moms and urban cowboys don't think of that side of the "heavier feels safer" equation when making impulsive/irrational choices.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
160 no...but the cooper comes stock with 184, unless I am mistaken. Add to that a curb weight 1000 lbs less than the sti, and close to 800 less than the evo, with a shorter wheelbase, stiffer chassis and no turbo lag...you'd be looking at one of the most fun cars on the road.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sandwich said:
160 no...but the cooper comes stock with 184, unless I am mistaken. Add to that a curb weight 1000 lbs less than the sti, and close to 800 less than the evo, with a shorter wheelbase, stiffer chassis and no turbo lag...you'd be looking at one of the most fun cars on the road.
my bad, i was mistaken: it's 168 this year. i think it was 160 at intro.

as for curb weight, the mini cooper s is 2720 lbs or so according to the magazines i just googled, while a evo mr (the heaviest one) is 3285...

perhaps you've been fed a bunch of false numbers by a clueless fanboy? :nuts:

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Stock Mini cooper S 170hp 7,2sec 0-62mph
Mini Cooper Sworks 200hp 6.9sec 0-62mph

Evo VIII 265hp 5.6sec 0-62mph
Evo VIII FQ400 400hp it kills Enzos, Carrera GTs ,... 0-62mph in 3.5sec TESTED

Subaru Sti 265hp 5.2sec 0-62mph
Subaru Sti330 330hp 4,8sec 0-62mph

I ll take the FQ400 thank you very much....

On a rational choice... i ll go with the Sti.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Toshi said:
my bad, i was mistaken: it's 168 this year. i think it was 160 at intro.

as for curb weight, the mini cooper s is 2720 lbs or so according to the magazines i just googled, while a evo mr (the heaviest one) is 3285...

perhaps you've been fed a bunch of false numbers by a clueless fanboy? :nuts:

well princess, you win this e-battle. I don't where I got those numbers, but I could have sworn the S had more horsepower and less weight. Must be thinking about the old one, or something.

Regardless, and AWD MINI S would still be a fantastic car to own, even if it can't out-e-dragrace an EVO.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sandwich said:
well princess, you win this e-battle. I don't where I got those numbers, but I could have sworn the S had more horsepower and less weight. Must be thinking about the old one, or something.

Regardless, and AWD MINI S would still be a fantastic car to own, even if it can't out-e-dragrace an EVO.
i agree that an awd mini s would be cool. :thumb:

as for arguing the numbers it's really rather silly when google's index of magazine numbers is so close at hand.

trailhacker said:
Hmmm...
The truck in the picture is a "new" F-150. The truck being discussed to sart this thread ?

The truck used for the pic and test is the old 97-03 style.
Even the article states that Ford totally updated the truck for 04 and thats kinda why people are raving about it.
The new one is pretty slick(shoot even RIDEMONKEY has one) ..... :monkey:

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
LOOnatic said:
The truck used for the pic and test is the old 97-03 style.
Even the article states that Ford totally updated the truck for 04 and thats kinda why people are raving about it.
The new one is pretty slick(shoot even RIDEMONKEY has one) ..... :monkey:
Yes the truck that was used in the test pictures at the start of the thread was an "old" style F150, but I was quoting the guy that said that kids had died in the truck in the picture he posted. That truck was a "new" style F150.
He was sort of comparing apples and oranges due to the complete redesign of the truck.
The point I was tryign to make was if kids died in that truck, it wasn't because of the design of the truck.
Thats all.....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
anything vs. semi = semi FTW

I don't think it matters that much in such a case, as this brings back the whole mass x velocity argument

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
Yeah- the '97-03 F-150 did terrible in crash test (the new one does awesome though). The Mini does pretty good on the crash tests (though not as good as a Mazda 3). That said, the vehicles were crashed into a fixed, offset barrier. They only needed to absorb their own energy. In a collision with another vehicle, mass is your friend and I'd probably take the old F-150 over the mini if I knew we were going to have a headon.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
towelie said:
Yeah- the '97-03 F-150 did terrible in crash test (the new one does awesome though). The Mini does pretty good on the crash tests (though not as good as a Mazda 3). That said, the vehicles were crashed into a fixed, offset barrier. They only needed to absorb their own energy. In a collision with another vehicle, mass is your friend and I'd probably take the old F-150 over the mini if I knew we were going to have a headon.
what you said just got me thinking...
i dont guesstimate it wouldnt make that much difference..

if 2 bodies crashed against each other, the relationship between their relative damage isnt necesarilly a function of their mass, but more so of the rigidity of their structures...

imagine this made-up scenary... if the f150 hits the mini at 40mph head to head in a one-dimensional line at point 0, the ford going from + to -, and the mini going from - to + ...
the most likely scenario is that the f150 will probably stop at point -3 (or whatever negative). of course a bigger acceleration will be upon the mini, but in terms of damage and deformation, maybe the rigidity of the mini will allow it to take that higher acceleration load (but smaller energy from itself) better, that the f150 taking the deformation FROM the energy of the less-collapsed mini....

kinda like crashing a marble against a playdo ball midair... of course the playdo will keep going, but maybe the marble will hold its shape better, than the playdo subject to penetration.

anyway.. i got no numbers, but seeing the crash tests, i imagine the rigidity of the mini is much higher than the f150....

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
math2014 said:
Stock Mini cooper S 170hp 7,2sec 0-62mph
Mini Cooper Sworks 200hp 6.9sec 0-62mph

Evo VIII 265hp 5.6sec 0-62mph
Evo VIII FQ400 400hp it kills Enzos, Carrera GTs ,... 0-62mph in 3.5sec TESTED

Subaru Sti 265hp 5.2sec 0-62mph
Subaru Sti330 330hp 4,8sec 0-62mph

I ll take the FQ400 thank you very much....

On a rational choice... i ll go with the Sti.
holy **** .. 400 hp's and 0-62 mph in 3.5 sec. :blah: why buy a Ferrari.
Buy this car and still have lots of many left to buy a house orso.
That;s wrc powah.. ofcourse the cooper s-works won;t beat the Subaru sti330 hp :blah: but a awd system for the mini would be totally radical . it would be like a small Subaru. I think Min-bmw -Subaru should do a joint venture on this one. :evil:

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Yep Lefty,

Topgear had in the UK an FQ400 evo and a Lamborghino Murcielago head on on a racetrack, and they were almost evenly matched (the Lambo with a better driver). It is an amazing car, full warranty, but it needs servicing every 4.500 miles. or something and it consumes LOADS of fuel.

A 4wd Mini cooper S with 230hp would be a killer car... although it would cost as much as a Subaru Sti i would guess in the UK.