Quantcast

CRASH video clips from Fontana#3

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Thx for the vid. I'm bummed that I missed that race.... and I'll miss this weekends race too. :( I might have been featured in your vid!

I just edited Kovariks run at that race and it will be up in a few days.He flys right through that sections.
Kovarik has balls of steel. Who else do you know pins it in world cups and spins 360's off kickers for the hell of it on their DH bike? I watched him at snowshoe back in 2001 i think it was. Anyway it sounded like a moto coming down the hill in one of the rockiest sections on the mountain. He went past me so fast that the jet stream nearly knocked me over. I have never seen anybody go that fast on something that gnar.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
yea and i heard kovariks bike when he went thru the s turns down by the road and i was all the way up by the bad right hand turn at the top of the course. sick.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
I wrapped up practice early on Sat. and sat at that rock garden for maybe 2 hours and watched. 2 main reasons people crash, #1 - brakes, as soon as people would grab some rear brake their wheel would lock and they'd be bounced off line really quick. And #2 - Some of the pinners we huggin a big rock off to their right before the drop. So many people clipped pedals and we thrown. I dude in my class's pedal was ripped out at the insert he hit that rock so hard...
That section was cake if you didn't touch brake after you rolled in, fun too.

***MTB***

Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
SoCal
That was one of the most fun courses when I have raced there in my opinion. I think the rock section where all the crashes were, was because many were way too hesitant. Notice I did not say all, because there were some that flew through that section and got unlucky and clipped a rock. But I was lucky enough to not crash at all. I actually was very surprised with myself because I just straight lined the whole rock garden and into the drop with no brakes. :) Something I usually would not do....

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Yeah that section wasnt too terribly hard, it was jus easy to catch a rock, or grab a little too much brake and get thrown off your line. That really was a great coarse, But damnit, I know this is strange, but I missed not having the wall.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Fantastic video. I checked your music vids of Jeremiah, not my kind of music, but the quality was fantastic. The intro to that music vid was great with the generated graphics and compositing- must take a while to dial in that all those axis manipulation.

Keep up the good work!

Jul 16, 2007
the jeremiah video was done before I joined the company.Not my kind of music either.Check out the New Dead Radio video and the Sam Suicide video.Thanks RICH

Jul 16, 2007
I got to the point where I knew if someone was going to crash. [A] grabbing brakes or even touching them. wearing jeans and a T-shirt.And [C] riding a hardtail! The best way down was to stay high and stay off the brakes.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
i didnt think so, but than again im from the east coast haha. i think people were just useing their breaks to much and the rocks were super dusty/sandy.
Yeah that looked really easy, it looked kind of like some of the section right out of the gate at diablo.

btkb13

Chimp
Feb 24, 2008
that line was'nt that hard.I didnt realize that many people were going down on that section. Cool vid!

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
So what part of this hill is that? Is it basically the "CA State Championship" course with a totally different approach and exit of the rock section?

Jul 16, 2007
So what part of this hill is that? Is it basically the "CA State Championship" course with a totally different approach and exit of the rock section?
This section is in the middle of the course.Its a few 100 yards above the wall.Everytime I have been out there they have had a different course set up through that area or the come down from the other side of the road and drop in just below this section.I hope that helps. Thanks

OilCanRacer

Chimp
Feb 13, 2008
alot of forks took direct hits on the rocks. good informative viddy for inexperienced dh racers.

lean back, keep your lazy a$$ of yer seat, look foward. too many of those guys just focusing on rock to rock to rock and get in trouble without being able to catch up mentaly.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
That was FUN! Haha, flew through that section all weekend without crashing :) Rode down on the frame twice though, hehe.

Ya...my friend was in that video, crazy crash.

The problem is, people just didn't pick out their lines BEFORE they went down and then when they did have them figured out they took them too fast for their riding ability.

Jul 16, 2007
That was FUN! Haha, flew through that section all weekend without crashing :) Rode down on the frame twice though, hehe.

The problem is, people just didn't pick out their lines BEFORE they went down and then when they did have them figured out they took them too fast for their riding ability.
Alot of guys thought they were Chris Kovarik that day!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

It was a good time, I still got 4th with a hard crash on the section above the fire road and not pedaling the road or the wall due to being stunned. It wasnt for lack of a clean line or above my exeprience though. I was going for a tail whip of the last rock and felt it slde out changing my direction a little too much to the hill side causing me to land high and the back to slide out on landing.
So no whip and shoulder/helmet into a BIG rock. :monkeydance:

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
It was a good time, I still got 4th with a hard crash on the section above the fire road and not pedaling the road or the wall due to being stunned. It wasnt for lack of a clean line or above my exeprience though. I was going for a tail whip of the last rock and felt it slde out changing my direction a little too much to the hill side causing me to land high and the back to slide out on landing.
So no whip and shoulder/helmet into a BIG rock. :monkeydance:
Why would you go for a tail whip off a tiny rock in the middle of your race run.... in the mud?
I saw your crash, it looked like you just slipped a little and lost it head first into a rock.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Why would you go for a tail whip off a tiny rock in the middle of your race run.... in the mud?
I saw your crash, it looked like you just slipped a little and lost it head first into a rock.
That tiny rock as you call it with a bunnyhop proved for some good height on sat as well as distance. Hit the first try to clear the 2nd and bunnyhop the 3rd!!!!!!!!!!
Worked when it was dry. :D
It wasnt my head that hit though, my right arm/shoulder and elbow are feeling the effects and the lid has no marks or dirt on it.
I body checked it. If it was me that you saw then you also saw the rock tumble down from the impact.
I can pound a 2'-3' foot bunnyhop on that pig as well as get it over 180 on flat with avy and 9" of squish, trust me little obstacles can be benificial. :D

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Same side of the hill as 07 Cal state #2. Instead of hitting the chute on the right, we veered left, dropped in then took a high right line. So much fun. Glad to say I didn't make the highlight reel.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
That tiny rock as you call it with a bunnyhop proved for some good height on sat as well as distance. Hit the first try to clear the 2nd and bunnyhop the 3rd!!!!!!!!!!
Worked when it was dry. :D
It wasnt my head that hit though, my right arm/shoulder and elbow are feeling the effects and the lid has no marks or dirt on it.
I body checked it. If it was me that you saw then you also saw the rock tumble down from the impact.
I can pound a 2'-3' foot bunnyhop on that pig as well as get it over 180 on flat with avy and 9" of squish, trust me little obstacles can be benificial. :D
I didn't ask why you hopped it, I asked why you tried to whip it.... And yes, I saw you unearth the rock.