Quantcast

Crashby goes to Europe

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by TreeSaw
Did you hit it...you know....show those kiddies how it's done urban style? ;)

Sweet shots...glad that you were persistent and got your bikey to ride!
I had to stay grounded on this ride... no pads, basically a full rigid bike with tiny pedals that were slippery as a panicked trout. :p

... I just put in a lot of miles instead... felt great.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by Echo
I don't see a pic from the summit! :devil:
I went as high as possible with a bike... after the singletrack ended... there was only steep wooden stairs to the top of the craigs... (I should have cyclocrossed it:devil: )

I almost killed myself on the downhill...

from this picture, can anyone tell me why I almost died today???:eek:

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
After the deluge ended... I made my way through some more of the extensive gardens of edinburgh... there are huge parks and gardens everywhere... amazing what can happen to 'public land' when the local government and the culture is behind it...

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
...and for best usage of color, contrast, depth of field, motion and still life, the 1st place prize for this photo session goes to "Crouching Mini Hidden River"

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I finally get someone to take a quick picture of me... and this is what I got... :rolleyes: :p

well... its probably best this way... no one wants to see my mug anyway... :cool:

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I sat on my bike on this corner for close to 10 minutes just watching people go by - catching bits of their conversations... funny how things never change from place to place... girlfriends, boyfriends, family, money... well... at least people are not talking about invasions and war...

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Once in the park, I didn’t even think about violating the 'no biking' signs... there was an overwhelming feeling of respect for the beauty of the park and its dead...

S.n.a.k.e.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
N. Tonawanda, NY
Crashby,

Thanks for the vicarious life...

I am utterly jealous of your geographical location at the moment. Not to mention your understated photog skills.

Great pictures, Great commentary, I wish I was there.

Bummer about the bike being so (to use a brit phrase) dodgy.

You coulda reversed the cables on the brakes it seems...

Keep the pictures and commentary coming.

Great job,

Marc

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Well... its noon and I just got kicked out of my flat... My flight back to Bristol doesn’t leave for another 9 hours.

Fine - Ill just wander the streets...

The building super said "Get out!!!" :p

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Just because I was homeless for a while, doesn’t mean that I didn't live well (that is the best revenge after all)...:p

Say what you like about the French, but I thoroughly enjoyed this eggs benedict and an amusing little Sauvignon Blanc for about $24 American... :devil:

I must say, about the best hollandaise sauce I have ever had...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by Crashby
Say what you like about the French, but I thoroughly enjoyed this eggs benedict and an amusing little Sauvignon Blanc for about $24 American... :devil:

I must say, about the best hollandaise sauce I have ever had...
Oh man. And I thought I was gonna make it through the night without eating another meal. Bastard.

Gee Spot

Chimp
Sep 13, 2002
rochester, ny
Dave, awesome pics of all the beautiful flowers and gardens.....

I almost feel like I'm there with you....but I just can't seem to taste all the good drink.......thanks buddy :thumb:

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I had some time, so here are a couple of "Hi, I’m an Art History major with a minor in photography and I'm trying to build up my portfolio" pictures...

Fountain closeup...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
This thread is fantastic. :)

I'd really like to get to England some time. There seems to be such much more character in the buildings and towns that what we see 'round these parts.

you could pick a ton of european cities, really. some amazing ones i've seen are siena, granada, brugge, copenhagen, zurich, heidelberg, strausbourg, paris, etc etc etc.

definitely make it a point to check out some of europe's heritage.

excellent photojournalistic post, crashby.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I felt like an idiot, trying to expain to the bike rental shop owner that his 'european' bike's brakes were on backwards...:monkey: :rolleyes: :p
was the housing long enough to swap the cables?

when my wife 1st got her 222 i rode it once w/ the levers setup UK style; yikes!

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Originally posted by narlus
was the housing long enough to swap the cables?

when my wife 1st got her 222 i rode it once w/ the levers setup UK style; yikes!
By the time I figured it out, I was done with the DH... simply a good lessen in "always check your mirrors and kick the tires" before you head out on a new rig...":monkey:

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
These "smart" cars are everywhere...

find out more here.

They cost about $12,000 US, and get 59 mpg. Coming to the US in 2006.

They are cool eh. Those cars are riding for over 2 years here. It very popular here, for advertising brands. The forfour is now entering our markets.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Originally posted by MMcG
Cool but where would the bike rack go? :p
Actually.....if you go through the car selector thing on the web site, there is an option for a bike rack. It's a single bike rack that fits on the back kinda like a hitch mount rack.

It's really cool that they'll hit the US in 2006. I'd love to drive one of those to work! The only worry is driving that in the streets full of the grocery getting Suburbans and Hummers. :rolleyes: They could drive right over a Smart like a pop can. :eek:

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
its funny... Edinburgh is so 'touristy' that the only Scottish music I heard was in gift shops and from bagpipers on the sidewalk looking for tips...