Quantcast

Crashed today, lets compare

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Ok lets hear about all those Crashes we should have been pretty hurt in, but were able to get up and finish the ride.

I got kicked off my line today, flat out i was going too fast, got my balance thrown a bit and BLAM!!! Rock in the trail hit at the wrong angle. From there about a 20 foot tumble through the lovely rocks of Southridge USA. COuplke nice bruises and some soreness. Looking back, if I would have gone a little in eetierh dirrection, i could have been looking at Busted ribs, or Busted Hip!!! Glad i could Stand up and laugh it off!!!

Lets here some more, If you have Vid links drop those too!!!

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont

I accidently gapped that, going way to fast, landed near the bottom, front wheel washed out and i pile drove my head and shoulder in the ground. When I got up my spine was all twisted and such, it was a weird feeling, very lucky I didn't break anything.

Its about a 25ft gap I would say, about 5-8 feet down from where I launched to where I landed.

Dan

face

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
northern utah
cruisin' down some single track with pretty thick foliage on the sides so i did not see a large rock on the side. sandwiched my foot between pedal and rock i went into an endo for 15 feet and could not recover. landed on back and threw my bike down a couple of switchbacks scariest crash of my life.:dead:

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
Crested Butte last season on the only steep stretch of the track. Hit it double fisted (no breaks) but my front end washed out. I hit the ground going about 25-30 mph and rolled for about 30 feet. I broke two ribs and jacked my helmet but raced the next day.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Riding to the trails, I hit pavement. Because of a new bike setup and a few other things, I basically went sideways in the air over concrete. I flew, landed on my side/head and slid to a halt. Had a nice hole ripped in my jersey, a crack in my helmet (only saw that later) and a little road rash on my knee...and a much bigger patch on my shoulder and arm. But, it was the best riding day in about 4 months, so I went on and only turned back when the sweat going into my arm made it no fun any more.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
in Romero trail today i fell down a 15 foot Cliff because my tire skid out and i lost my balance, i then went over the side of my bike and drop 10 feet and rolled head over heels down the rest until a rock and a bush stopped me. however i got back on my bike and rode down.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Not a crash but I got hit by a car, I just without thinking was able to roll up on the car and was able to ride away. I also clipped a stump I couldnt see going full speed and came unclipped and flew like 10 feet and my bike went at least another 10 and landed upside down with the wheels still spinning. I just had to chill for a couple of minutes because I got the wind knocked out of me. If I had landed more towards the left I could have gone off the trail down a nice hill with plenty of roots and rocks to mess me up.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Mt Snow 4 years ago - broke wrist in yardsale. Shatterred scaphoid into 8 pieces.

Mt Snow 2 years ago - Crashed so hard in race run that i popped the lenses out of my goggles.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Transcend said:
Mt Snow 4 years ago - broke wrist in yardsale. Shatterred scaphoid into 8 pieces.

Mt Snow 2 years ago - Crashed so hard in race run that i popped the lenses out of my goggles.
you finished the ride after those crashes? (hint: see original post) :dead:

the only bad crash i can recall after which i finished the ride was from last summer at whistler. i was wearing a helmet cam (for which Chuckwagon still owes me 20 bucks or a video :angry: ) and ate it in grand fashion after boosting the last table before the rock garden on A line a bit too much... after finding my glasses and collecting my thoughts for a few minutes i wheeled down the rest of a line.

i called it a day after that, but was planning on doing so beforehand, so it's still "finishing the ride" in my book :D

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Toshi said:
you finished the ride after those crashes? (hint: see original post) :dead:

the only bad crash i can recall after which i finished the ride was from last summer at whistler. i was wearing a helmet cam (for which Chuckwagon still owes me 20 bucks or a video :angry: ) and ate it in grand fashion after boosting the last table before the rock garden on A line a bit too much... after finding my glasses and collecting my thoughts for a few minutes i wheeled down the rest of a line.

i called it a day after that, but was planning on doing so beforehand, so it's still "finishing the ride" in my book :D
Mt snow 4 years ago I broke it in practice on friday, I qualified and raced on sunday and actually did pretty well. Weagle pumped me full of booze the evenign before, I think I was still drunk when I qualified.

Mt Snow 2 years ago, i tried gapping these 2 stupid step down things in the high speed and clipped my rear wheel on the last one i went face first into the ground. I got up and finished the race, bloody, beaten and out of it. Hey, I even got the hot seat!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
well, i take back that comment. i guess that's part of what makes you a pro dher and me, well, not one.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
At the 2004 Groovy Gravity Games my front wheel washed out in the final section of steep ruts and I stacked hard in a bunch of hardpacked dirt. At first I couldn't find my bike because of the dust, then I found it, picked it up and rode the last 100 feet to the finish.
Immediately after I crossed the finish line I laid down, my back hurting really badly, and I couldn't get up very easily. Final verdict was that I slammed one of the muscles in my lower back which helps you pull your knee to your chest, and I couldn't walk without a walker for about a week.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
First ride on a new fork, took a turn supah wide and didnt make it. Hit a big rock which my fork ate, but I had my weight back and got bucked over the bike when my rear hit. Ended up with both shins full of cactus spines and a gnarly one-inch bump on the outside of my ankle. The ride home was just pavement though . . .

Another time I caught a big wood chip in my wheel and went flying, landing uneventfully in more wood chips. The flying bit was fun.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Toshi said:
well, i take back that comment. i guess that's part of what makes you a pro dher and me, well, not one.
OHHH and I forgot, indoor 4x race at the Toronto bike show 2 years ago. Dislocated my pinky in a morning warmup crash. Went to hospital, had it frozen, relocated and was back in time to make my heats.

I think playing football for all those years musta helped...shutup and play though it, you pansy.:help:

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
~40km/h piledriver into a rock. I've been quite a proponent of Mad Max helmets since, somehow I didn't get any injuries bar a mild concussion (not enough to knock me out or even screw my memory up).

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Bad weekend up at Snowshoe last season.

First day up there; first run. I was following my friend who'd been living and working there since pre-season -- trying to stay on his rear wheel. There's this section that's paved with flat rocks for hundreds of yards. It's steep and you just pin it. My right foot pops off and slams into a rock. I knew my big toe was busted, but kept riding all day. It was black by the time I got my shoe off that night.

Taped it up the next morning and off I go.

Later he and I were on the basin side (one of the freeride trails way off to the left). Sketchy right-left-right switchbacks over bumps, roots and slick as owl snot. Front washed out; I went down on top of my bike -- hard. Bars went up under the chinpiece of my helmet and tagged my chin. Finished the run and got to the lift, looked down and saw blood all over my stem and top tube. Derrick was like -- Dude, your chin is jacked. Spent about a half hour in ski patrol while they patched me up. Rode out the door, went right back to that same trail and cleaned that beotch.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
caputo1989 said:
The big rock garden in keystone. I went through it realy fast came arround the next corrner and hit the tree in the middle of the trail. All i got was a nice 6 inch gouge and blood on my bike.
Two years ago, in that same rock garden at Keystone, I tried to pick my way down too slowly and got hung up about 2/3 of the way down. My front wheel got turned 90d and I went OTB. Sounds normal enough right? Well, I managed to kick my feet up over the bars in an attempt to land on my feet. I basically bounced once on my sack on the end of my bars before clearing the bike, THEN tumbled down the rocks.

I sort of lost my wind for a few ... then checked out the damage. I scratched/pinched the skin to the point I was bleeding, but in the end it was all superficial. Seeing blood down there after a crash will get your attention really quickly. I took a break to watch other riders' lines then finished the rest of the day.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
lux said:
Bad weekend up at Snowshoe last season.

First day up there; first run. I was following my friend who'd been living and working there since pre-season -- trying to stay on his rear wheel. There's this section that's paved with flat rocks for hundreds of yards. It's steep and you just pin it. My right foot pops off and slams into a rock. I knew my big toe was busted, but kept riding all day. It was black by the time I got my shoe off that night.

Taped it up the next morning and off I go.

Later he and I were on the basin side (one of the freeride trails way off to the left). Sketchy right-left-right switchbacks over bumps, roots and slick as owl snot. Front washed out; I went down on top of my bike -- hard. Bars went up under the chinpiece of my helmet and tagged my chin. Finished the run and got to the lift, looked down and saw blood all over my stem and top tube. Derrick was like -- Dude, your chin is jacked. Spent about a half hour in ski patrol while they patched me up. Rode out the door, went right back to that same trail and cleaned that beotch.

Hah i remember all of this too.

This past summer i lived at snowshoe too. On the sport course of all things im waiting on someone so i take a run on it and in one chute my bike looses its line and i slip off the bike. As i'm sliding down the chute my five tens decide to stick to a rock and not move so i sprained my ankle and it automatically swelled up tot he size of a softball. I thought i broke my ankle but the best part was i had to hike up stp road for like a mile to get to the road so the shuttle would get me.

Another time im riding with like everyone that works there on a great day. We drop intot he pro course and on the 2nd chute my pedal bearing explodes and pedal comes off. My bike goes sideways hits two trees i go flying about 15 feet and land my abs and hip on a huge rock. You can see the bone through the skin and when i got up to walk i almost threw up. So they strapped me to a backboard and took me out. The stupid PA or whatever said he htought i sliced my spleen open so i had to sit in the ambulance with 2 IV's in me for like an hour to goto a bum**** WVA hospital.

santacruzer87

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
On my bicycle
Transcend said:

ha I like how they are both at Mt. Snow...I think I know what you're talking about though, this year I tried doubling this section right before the first left in the high speed section and I nose cased. Somehow I didn't actually fall, but I hit my for so hard it blew and oil shot out the bottom...stupid boxxer.

-Ryan

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Collegiate regionals at durango this past season, during my race run. got kicked wierd off of a high speed waterbar, slammed my knee sideways into a tree. Got back on the bike to finish, and couldn't bend my leg. rode the rest of the way down without pedaling, and it turned out I had a torn MCL along with a fractured tibia:mumble:

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Mine was at Keystone this past summer. Going no brakes down Paid in Full just before the woods section with the ladder coming out of it. At the end of the long off camber turn before getting to the woods my bike started to slide out. Just as you get to the woods there is a large flat faced rock. When I started to wash out I know I was going over 35 not sure how fast I was going when I hit the rock. It stopped my bike dead in its tracks. I went over the bars cartwheeling down the trail. My bike bounced off the rock perpendicular to the trail and went about 20' up the hill through the trees. Folded both my front wheel and rotor over , and dented the lowers on my fork. So my bike did not ride away. I went home and grabbed my hardtail and rode the rest of the day.

Nick said:
Two years ago, in that same rock garden at Keystone, I tried to pick my way down too slowly and got hung up about 2/3 of the way down. My front wheel got turned 90d and I went OTB. Sounds normal enough right? Well, I managed to kick my feet up over the bars in an attempt to land on my feet. I basically bounced once on my sack on the end of my bars before clearing the bike, THEN tumbled down the rocks.

I sort of lost my wind for a few ... then checked out the damage. I scratched/pinched the skin to the point I was bleeding, but in the end it was all superficial. Seeing blood down there after a crash will get your attention really quickly. I took a break to watch other riders' lines then finished the rest of the day.
I recall...not good at all.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
Transcend said:

I love those kind of crashes. never had one the bike but blew out the lens on the snowboard once.

R

richcreek

Mine was also at Snowshoe, i was following my friend comming down the main trail on the basin side and he stops so i swereved to miss him and hit one of thoes f^*&(#g ditches that are on that road at 33mph. I endoed about 4 times and finialy skidded about 30ft more until i hit another one of thoes damn ditches. by the end of this i was about 50-75ft down the trail from my friend. i bent both rims, broke the deralier hanger clear off my bike, bent the seat tube, bent the seat rails, and broke my bars almost in half!!!:nopity: :help: thank god they have a repair shop up there or i would of had to rent a bike for $175 a day!!!:redhot: it toke them 3 hours to fix it but i got to ride the rest of the weekend.:cool:

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
a double step down that kinda turn down on the USO course i hit going to fast and pile drove my head into a pointed rock off the trail. i had quite a huge shiner on there. about the size of a tennis ball

SCABRIDER

Monkey
Jul 19, 2005
santa barbara
i looped a manual on a fireroad (right where it turns into asphalt) going about 30mph and snapped my foot. it was tyte because where i was, although very close to the public road, was not acessable by cars. i walked/hopped/rode down to my house. i fell on my foot 3 more times after breaking it too, full weight on the one foot. the hikers that passed me didn't even ask if i was hurt...

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
I was riding with some buddies, and decided to do a line, hit it way to fast, front wheel turned, and popped the front tube, i went over and landed on my head, hard enough to make me black out for a couple of minutes. No concussion, just a headache for awhile, weirdest feeling ever. I dunno if i should have been seriously hurt or not

trumbullrider

Monkey
Dec 12, 2005
CT
Here is a video still of me eating in, droped a 3ft rock into a sniper steep tranny, and was leaning to far left, and bla bla my head his the ground 1st and took a peice out of my d2

also scratched my swingarm :mumble:

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I had one down in skyline last year. got off line in a rutted corner and went otb, flew through a bush, and landed pancake style on this perfectly smooth round rock. i was all splayed out thinking "ok, nothing really hurts, should i try to move?" not a scratch on me but the bike was a bit jacked up. managed to rip the rear wheel out of the dropout somehow.

had another one poaching trails in DC. i was bombing into this little off camber turn, and i cut real close to the apex thinking i could just brush through the foliage and come out the other side. . . . except it wasnt foliage, it was a stump covered in vines. it lined up perfectly with my hand on the bar so the bike stopped dead. i fractured my middle finger and then flew off into the woods on the far side of the trail landing on a pile of logs. nothing really hurt but the finger, but i got lucky. thanks armor.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Second Beacon race last summer. I got thrown off balance by a rut that had formed in the takeoff of the 25 ft triple at the bottom of the course. I was probably doing at least 30mph when I landed and went over the bars, only to have a nice log that was under the next double stop my forward movement. I hit the thing so hard with my head that I broke the log (8" in diameter) in half.

My parents were watching from 10 feet away. My dad was so grossed out by watching some kid kill himself (or so he thought) he started to get sick, then passed out when he saw my teammate run over to me yelling my name.

Ahhh, great times...

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
This high speed section at Whistler almost claimed me last year. I was going into it pretty fast, get a little mud in my eye and rather than be smart and slow down because I can barely see I decide I want to hit it the fastest than I ever have. There is a little rise that you catch air off, so I hit that, launched landed in the really rough stuff and then one hand and both feet come off the bars. The back end comes up so I'm doing a running nose manuel thing, I ended up semi regaining control and slowing down and rode off the side of the trail and fell down un harmed. If I had fell it would have been bad, I've seen them carting people away from that section a few times, I was almost one of them.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Radarr said:
Second Beacon race last summer. I got thrown off balance by a rut that had formed in the takeoff of the 25 ft triple at the bottom of the course. I was probably doing at least 30mph when I landed and went over the bars, only to have a nice log that was under the next double stop my forward movement. I hit the thing so hard with my head that I broke the log (8" in diameter) in half.

My parents were watching from 10 feet away. My dad was so grossed out by watching some kid kill himself (or so he thought) he started to get sick, then passed out when he saw my teammate run over to me yelling my name.

Ahhh, great times...
Geez...that's rough...mine's not as bad, but it reminds me a little of a collegiate race last year. I went off a drop and one foot flew off the pedals right as I took off. I landed near the bottom of the tranny, the bike sunk through its travel and drove my foot into the ground (hurt for a week or two afterwards). I lost control and started skidding around as I was half off the bike, had a handful of rear brake and it had been raining and snowing for days. I came within a few feet of taking out my spectating mother....'course I started running and finished the race...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Yesterday, I road up to the top of a hill in los olivos to get pictures of the sunset above a vineyard. When I came up I spoted some ruts up a very steep hill, so I set some rocks there, and jumped it on the way down, after taking pictures.

Then I saw a drop off the side of the road. I was going maybe 15mph and I think I came off the edge okay. I was in the air for a fast short time it seemed like. All of a sudden, my front wheel sunk into the hillside/landing spot (It was light soft leaves, with very soft mud below), I was thrown OTB so quickly. After front flipping, I ended up right next to a wood fence ,wet and muddy with my bike on me.

My camera was fine as it was in its case in my dakine pack, although my tripod fell apart, when I was setting it up (not crash related). I road home through town wheelie and jumping off stuff (finishing the ride).