Quantcast

crate motor in my toyota?

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
so i just found out that there is a crate motor in my toyota....now i can't find parts for it and plus one of the exuast manifold bolt holes is stripped. i'm just shaking my head. everytime i fix this thing something else goes all screwy. I need to make some money and buy a new car.
kai-

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
^ bingo....

Unless it's a non-Toyota motor that somebody swapped in or something :confused:

Just heli-coil the stripped hole and get on yer way. :thumb:

HippieKai

Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
heli-coil or use a bigger bolt i can do...but the thing is the exuast manifold and conection are not standard "imported" toyota set ups. I'v been looking online and can't find the gasket pattern that i need and NAPA didn't have a clue. It's a strange deal. I think it's canadian, that would explain everything.

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
OK first things first.

Is the motor a Toyota motor? is it a 4 cylinder or a 6

do the motor mounts look like they have been cut and or welded in after it left the factory.

how did you detrmine that its not the origanal motor?

What model is it? what year?

truck?
Tercel?
Camry?

take a picture??

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Kai, might I suggest posting on pirate4x4.com 9in the Toyota section) with the specifics. At first this sounded rather simple but now it seems a bit funky. There are a lot of knowledgeable Toyota guru's on Pirate from both the US and CAN as well as all over the world. I have never heard of anything like this and I build trucks (mostly Toyota's) for a living...

HippieKai

Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
i'd take pics if i had the ability. but here are the specs on what i have
1991 toyota pickup 22re EFI 4X4.

The motor looks realy clean for having 150k on it for starters and i know that at one point (around 80k) the entire top end was replaced. What i'm thinking is that they just replaced the whole damn thing.

I'll look on that site and see what i can find out. Thanks for the tip man.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
HippieKai said:
heli-coil or use a bigger bolt i can do...but the thing is the exuast manifold and conection are not standard "imported" toyota set ups. I'v been looking online and can't find the gasket pattern that i need and NAPA didn't have a clue. It's a strange deal. I think it's canadian, that would explain everything.
If you still can't find a manifold gasket, which I'm sure are all over the place, get some gasket material and make a new one. Hopefully you can remove the original one in one piece, just trace it and you're good to go. Damn kids today don't know how to work on cars.

HippieKai

Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
ok i made a bad drawing of what i have.
red is bolt holes
black is ports
blue is bolt holes that don't match up

the top is what mine looks like the bottom is what they tell me it should look like. Now i can get the bottom bolt pattern with my port shape and the bottom port shape with my bolt pattern, but not the two together. So WTF?

HippieKai

Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
Brian HCM#1 said:
If you still can't find a manifold gasket, which I'm sure are all over the place, get some gasket material and make a new one. Hopefully you can remove the original one in one piece, just trace it and you're good to go. Damn kids today don't know how to work on cars.

thats not my worry. My worry is all the other parts tht arn't stock.
That and finding a manifold in case mine cracks...it's not looking so great.