Quantcast

crate training...what am I doing wrong?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
recently adopted a 2nd dog, Sacha...rat terrior.

was told he was housebroken. has yet to make a bathroom out of the house while Mandi or I are home, hasn't done anything bad at night (he sleeps in bed with us), and is good when we leave for a couple hours.

but, when we crate him while we're gone to work, he pees in his crate. often times that means peeing in his food and/ or water. when it's wet outside, he's crated for 7hrs and almost always pees. if it's nice outside 3 - 4hrs at a time. is this too long? i don't understand. our other dog, a beagle, can be crated for the same amout of time and not have issues. thinking about it, Sacha's the only dog i have had this issue with. he's also the most obedient dog i've had.

i'm going to the vet tomorrow to see if there's some chance of a UTI or BI.

this is Sacha:

and Oxley (not a flattering picture):

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Beat the sh*t out of the dog when you catch it peeing, and throw it outside. Im not kidding.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Nothing better than making him sh*t in the crate too. :think:
If the dog is ****ing and peeing on himself in the crate it means 1 of 2 things.

1. The dog is a f*** up and has no hope and should be beaten.
2. The crate is too big, and the dog should be beaten.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Also, make the dog sleep in the crate, not in bed with you, he needs to know its his place to be. That will help to remind him not to "Relieve" himself in the crate. Also, try an old style windup clock, one that ticks..... Leve that in teh crate with him when your gone.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
get a book on dog training because you really don't have a clue

Sleeping as already said Crate not bed

If you are going to leave the dog with food and water and be gone all day get an X pen and leave the dog in it with some news papers

please get a dog training book before you really screw the dog up

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
can't catch him peeing in the crate because we're gone. should we put him in on weekends for extended periods, gradually getting longer and longer, since we'd be home to watch him? he's yet to poo in the crate.

i was always under the impression that a dog would not relieve himself where he sleeps. that's why i'm concerned about the bladder or urinary tract infection.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
It IS really hard to explain the totals of crate training, that would be why I started with one that is easy to explain, and easy to follow through with.

Talking about Urinary or bladder infections, thats part of the training. you need to train him to "go on command" meening you take him out right before its time for him to stay int eh crate all night, and make sure he pee's and poops. force him to stay outside untill Business is done, then he gets to go into his bed, not before though

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
get a book on dog training because you really don't have a clue

Sleeping as already said Crate not bed

If you are going to leave the dog with food and water and be gone all day get an X pen and leave the dog in it with some news papers

please get a dog training book before you really screw the dog up
what's wrong with a dog sleeping at the foot of a bed? just want your justification, as i've heard both sides of the argument.

DirtyMike, that was the best informercial/ website I have ever seen.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
much like yelling at your dog for begging and feeding it the occasional scrap after dinner are counterproductive, so are keeping your dog in a crate all day and then letting it sleep in your bed at night.
If the dog is ****ing and peeing on himself in the crate it means 1 of 2 things.

1. The dog is a f*** up and has no hope and should be beaten.
2. The crate is too big, and the dog should be beaten.
i really, really, really hope that this is sarcasm.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Little more, explains crate training a bit more and why its important
http://www.cuhumane.org/topics/crate.html

Still looking for a really good site for you

A tip from the Iams site

Dog Kennel (Crate)
A kennel or crate is a must. Most puppies will not soil their kennel (if it's not too big), so you can leave a young puppy inside for a few hours. This helps him learn to control himself, accelerating the housetraining process. If you buy a crate sized for an adult dog, but your puppy is still small, fill up some of the space with a closed cardboard box. Leave the puppy enough room to stand, turn around and lie down.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Oh, another thing... Sacha is 4 - 6yrs old. So bad habits might already been engrained in his head.

he's in the crate from about 9 to 5 Monday and Wednesday. T and TH he gets an hour break at around noon, where he runs around outside and inside. Always relieves himself outside before going back into the crate. F - Sun, Mandi and I are home and he runs around outside and inside all day. At the end of the day, after his play time, we feed him, go for a walk, let him do his thing for a little while, then retire to bed. Oxley, the beagle, sleeps in the kitchen in his bed, Sacha jumps onto the bed.

The previous owner kept him in a crate 50 - 70% of the time, according to the adoption papers.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Beat the sh*t out of the dog when you catch it peeing, and throw it outside. Im not kidding.
NEVER beat a dog!:disgust1:

When he goes inside, yell NO! and pick him up and take him outside right away. When he goes outside, give him praise, "good pottie, good pottie." Always give praise. The little guy may have a bladder problem thus the reason they didn't tell you and wanted to get rid of him. Poor guy needs understanding and love. Use the word, POTTIE regularly when he goes and he'll get use to hearing it and then get used to going to the door when he is used to knowing that he has to go outside.

Works with mine.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
So Sacha got hit by a vehicle today, after getting loose and running into the street. truck hit him and broke his neck. We had to put him down. Haven't cried this much ever, I don't think. My ex (who has 'custody' of the pets) saw it happen. truck didn't stop. she carried him to a neighbor's house where she sat and cried, while Sacha bled on her shirt. Neighbor took them to the vet, where I met them. I was fine until the vet brought him in...eyes still lit up, but he was unable to move. I broke down. Vet started talking about how the injections would work. Then pulled out the syringes. I said "serious? here? **** that" and left the room crying.

not that the person driving could've done anything, but the fact that he/ she didn't stop...i want that ****er to feel pain.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Well ****, always suchs to lose a pet like this. The Vet could have had a bit more tact than that. Kind of suprisez me they would walk in with the syringes in pocket to put a dog down in front of the owners.. Most Vets wont let you be next to then for that.

On a little side note you should be happy they didnt stop, you would be resopnsible for any damage to te vehicle.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Took my wife and I almost the entire year we've had Orly to get him trained. Now, I'd say 75% of the time we tell him to "Go home" he'll wander right into his crate and he knows that if he does that, he gets a treat. But at first, it was nightmarish. He would whine and cry all night for weeks after we got him.

He gets to sleep on our bed now sometimes because he's full of awesome... but when he starts cuttin' loose on the farts, we kick him to his crate. He actually doesn't mind his crate at all. He knows that it's his place and we rarely, if ever, punish him by sending him to his crate.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
with the right training and encouragement from you, he should get use to being in the crate. he needs to learn that it's going to be his space and that it's a good thing to be there not a punishment.