Quantcast

Crater Lake, Or Trails

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
Hello friends, I am taking a trip to crater Lake in a few weeks. I was wondering if anyone knew of some good trails to hit on my trip???:help:

CrashMaster

Chimp
Mar 22, 2006
I camped at a place near lost lake like, three years ago. it is like, thirty minutes away from crater lake. there is a trail that goes most of the way around lost lake. it is not like, hard core downhill or freeride or anything, but it is a pretty sweet xc trail. nice views. exposed sections that are fifty feet up above the lake. the last section is the highway and crosses a huge brigde that over looks the whole stupid valley. i have since forgotten any specifics on directions or anything, but try googling lost lake.

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
Thanks for the tips! I am not sure where we are camping yet, It depends on what is available when we get there. I am stopping by the Lava Beds Nat'l Monument too, on the way up. And then the Oregon Caves on the way back! I wonder if I can ride through the Lava tubes at Lava Beds?

CrashMaster

Chimp
Mar 22, 2006
i thought the campground at lost lake was waaaaay nicer than at crator lake. crator lake seemed hotter, like california hot. and the camp sites there were all dusty and dry. Lost lake campground was dope. all grass. nice showers. big loops with lots of spots. it is killer there, and not far from crator lake which is why we were there in the first place.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
kindtrails said:
Thanks for the tips! I am not sure where we are camping yet, It depends on what is available when we get there. I am stopping by the Lava Beds Nat'l Monument too, on the way up. And then the Oregon Caves on the way back! I wonder if I can ride through the Lava tubes at Lava Beds?
You'll be lucky to crawl through the lava tubes.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Hey, if you're taking pics, take a wide angle lens. I had a hard time trying to get the whole lake in any of my shots when I was there a few weeks ago. Beautiful place.

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
YO BeerDemon (cool name) how the hell did you get 40,000+ posts? Do you have a job? ( Is this it?) I was at Lassen last year and the lava tubes there are huge! definatly ride-able. But too short. Has anyone been to Burney Falls? That place is cool. The falls come from an underground aquafer, so they are unaffected by the rainfall. The falls come out of the hillside! Everyone should see it!

flailer

Chimp
Aug 5, 2006
S. Oregon
kindtrails said:
Hello friends, I am taking a trip to crater Lake in a few weeks. I was wondering if anyone knew of some good trails to hit on my trip???:help:
Dude,

Not sure what kind of riding you are looking for, or what kind of direction you are willing to travel. i know the area quite well.

Crater Lake is a national park, and trail riding of bikes is not allowed, i believe.

Bend OR has some GREAT riding.
Paulina Lake, south of Bend, has some good riding.
Both of these are east and north of Crater Lake though.

i assume you are going through Grants Pass. If so, know that there are some sweet-sweet rides in the Taylor Creek area. Ever hear of Jedi trail? Know that there is free, and campground, camping all-around Taylor creek area.

i live in Medford, and ride Mtn Lakes, Ashland trails and Applegate areas - and i can tell you, i don't mind the 50 mile drive (35 mile north on I5, and 15 miles west through Merlin, turning left just before Galice - and i hate driving!) It is worth it - cause there are some sweet single tracks up there.

Do Jedi for it's sweet single track - that rides like a roller coaster.
Do Onion mtn for a longer ride, and some creek-side single-track ending at Tin-cup campground.
Or do the downhill (dually nice, but not at all required) trail named taylor creek and do it from the top of Jedi trail, dropping off at China hat trail head.

Me, i like to loop Jedi trail, and i always add taylor crk trail onto it, ending at China hat trail head. (For this park at China hat, ride up the single-lane paved road ~ 2 miles or so for a warm up, at top jump onto swoopy Jedi trail, loop back to top of Jedi, and ride down Talyor creek trail to car, swim in water falls you passed when you parked)

Me, i'll be doing this ride this Wednesday 9th, if all goes well

Does this forum have PM? If so, PM me for details.
i'm headed to Whistler soon, but i'd ride it with you for the price of a post-ride burrito and beer. Now dont that sound good?

Oh, and Thursdays are my Supermoto days, generally speaking.
Lemme know.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
kindtrails said:
YO BeerDemon (cool name) how the hell did you get 40,000+ posts? Do you have a job? ( Is this it?) I was at Lassen last year and the lava tubes there are huge! definatly ride-able. But too short. Has anyone been to Burney Falls? That place is cool. The falls come from an underground aquafer, so they are unaffected by the rainfall. The falls come out of the hillside! Everyone should see it!
ummmmmm:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: