Quantcast

Crazy annoying Creaking-Bottom bracket issues

May 23, 2007
Stamford, CT
I am getting quite annoyed with this consistent problem. I've blown through 5 bottom brackets within 4 years.
2 race face diabolus
2 odyssey euro
and now it seems like my truvativ GXP is going on my stylo cranks.

I might be wrong tho. The issue is, when i pedal hard on the left crank, I hear creaking on the down pedal of the left crank arm till it starts to go back up.

Now before you say, take it apart, clean it, and grease it up like miami sunbathing chick. I've done that. I did find dirt between the dust cap and the crank, and inside the the threads. I GOT IT ALL OUT and put on some nice PARK PPL-1 grease. I did the same for the Seat post, if that has anything to do with it.

I also used my handlebars as leverage to tighten the crap out of them. Yet there is still creaking.

So now is there a problem with the left BB cup? Or could this creaking be a result of flexing on the frame? I ride a BLKMRKT riot. I ask if it's flexing because I don't even have to pedal. I just have to put pressure on the left arm when it is forward (as if about to pedal).

I weigh about 210 lbs, but I'm pretty smooth in the park and on jumps, I do not do much street, cept navigating through town. I installed these cranks last summer. So there's only about 6 months or real riding time on them.

Any Ideas? or suggestions on indestructible BB/Crank combos? Profiles are similar to Odyssey so i don't want to bother trying them.

Thanks guys!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Pull your headset. Have a shop properly clean and prep the frame (face the HT) and re-install it with liberal amounts of waterproof grease.

Yes, I said headset.

The downtube an a bike is always under tension and a creak from the headset can sound like a creak from the crank.

Trust me on this, I weigh over 200 lbs as well. I've had the phantom headset creak many times.

To test: hold the bike and stand to one side of it, facing it, holding the handlebar. Rotate the crank to 6 o'clock and step down on it, pushing inward.

You may hear a creak.

Now do the same thing on the other side.

You may hear an even louder creak.

Let us know how it went.

May 23, 2007
Stamford, CT
No. While standing with the bike with the brakes applied. I only hear a creaking sound on the left side when i push down on the left arm. I do not hear anything from the right side doing the same.

The Headset is an integrated headset. But I'll give that a go today.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Could be the bolts that hold the chainring to the spider.

Or that truvative cranks are crappy, the truvative and race face cranks I own are bad. One day I might dust off the checkbook and buy some saints but for now I live with the creaking and the wobble.

May 23, 2007
Stamford, CT
No wobble either... just two - three distinct snappy sounding creaks, which is leading me to believe that it's the bearing.

Think it's worth it to buy the 30 dollar bearing upgrade from enduroforkseals.com ?

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
What kind of spindle/crank interface is the setup? Are all of these bb's for the same set of cranks or interface?

When I was running isis setups I would go through 1-2 bb's a year. I'm not sure if thats helpfull. It sounds like your having the same problem with multiple setups.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Profiles may be similar, but much better IMO. I run Profiles on my Mob and have had no issues. When I have had creaking it was indeed just dirt. After a cleaining and greasing it was perfect. I have to do the BB maybe once a year. I find that I need to clean the headset bearings about every 2 months to remove that creaking.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
If you ride hard, cranks will eventually creak. I pull the arms off of mine and clean and grease the interface pretty frequently for just this reason.
Euro bottom brackets are the worst, I'm really happy I'm away from them on my hardtail now.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
I too ride a black market riot and I know this creak that you speak of. It is thoroughly annoying. I had primo powerbites that creaked like none other. Then I got profile cranks. Because profile cranks are so air tight, they do not creak.