Quantcast

Crazy ass motorcycle.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I went to the Easyrider motorcycle show today (a friend got the pictures, I will post them when he sends them).

Christian Dotson builds one of the craziest looking bikes. The engineering is cool, but it's extremely pointless.

Here's a shot of one of his bikes.

The front arm moves up and down on a leaf spring system. The steering is done through the shaft running through the headtube using u-joints. It pivots on the end of the arm.

Looking at it, I would think it would steer more like a car rather then using the countersteer normally used on a bike.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You would still get Counter steer, just might not be quite as responsive as a normal setup
But there isn't much clearance to lean. That's why it looked like you would do low speed bar turns in stead of leaning.

Again, the engineering involved was bad ass, but it was more of a "why the hell..." than anything else.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
But there isn't much clearance to lean. That's why it looked like you would do low speed bar turns in stead of leaning.

Again, the engineering involved was bad ass, but it was more of a "why the hell..." than anything else.
Yeah a bike like that is for show rather than for riding, Yet will still countersteer. Just being a two wheeled bike will make it countersteer.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Have you seen this Chicara bike?
I have not, but that's bad ass.

I was a little disappointed overall with the show. $16 to get in and nearly all the bikes were from local builders or big shops like Big Dog and Victory.

My favorite local shop wasn't even there. (www.nashmotorcycle.com)

<edit> This bike from Jaxon Fiffe was bad ass as well.

The front fork legs are made from a solid machined piece. It had these sweet machine marks down the front side edge that looked like a weld bead at first glance.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Very true statement, Like noted above, ther isnt much clearance for your lean, but then again they really were not meant for riding, more for looking!!!!!!!
For many, this is true. My bike will be both pretty and functional. I have 2 designs I am fighting over at the moment. One is a classic bobber with no frills, the other is a full blown custom with air ride.

I will build both at some point, but what to build first is the main question right now.