Quantcast

Crazy idea...... or IS it?

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
for those of us in climates where a lot of dihydrogen monoxide comes down from the sky, like the PNW, i was thinking it might be a good idea to put rain-x on the stanchions of our forks. i thought about it for a second and thought nah. but i was in the garage last night and thought what the hell, put some on the stanchins of the old manitou 4, just to see, and put some water on em and wow. granted, on a fork with grease as a lube, the effects where marginal after one plunge down the greasy slider, but it sure did make a difference in what stayed on the stanchion as far as moisture goes. im still a bit wary of putting it on my super-t... what do you all think?

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Not a crazy idea, however if your forks are properly maintained not needed. Caution and consideration should be taken relative to oil or surface contamination that could cause premature wear and/or failure. Best thing would be to wipe those legs down with something like Slick Honey, Juddy Butter, a fork lube, something that is similar to what is inside. If you use silicone try to find pure silicone mold release and stay away from the spray can silicone as most use a solvent as a carrier which can dry out your seals and the exposed sliding surface of your forks.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
I have never had a problem with water getting past marzocchi seals. Even with shiver sc that occasionally where used under water. I occasionally spray the stactions with Silicone Spray as it makes mud stick less. I think Silicone Spray is also reccomended in the manual so isn't going to do anything bad to the fork.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
there is only one way i thought it would benefit. when the stachions on most forks are wet and move into the sliders, i doubt the seals pull all the water off. and on the m4's, which always same back out with water beaded on the stachions (you could actually undo the bottom screw, with new seals,, and watch water drip out) i figured in an open bath system, contaminats inside the fork are especially bad. so, in theory, the same way it make the wipers on my car wipe almost all the water off the windsheild, it would increase the effectiveness of the seals. as for using it on the super t, i just think it woulf be a pain in the ass, but for a day when you are going out in wet, wet weather, it might not hurt...