Quantcast

Crazy people with too much time on their hands, in a good way...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So yesterday I supported a friend who was running an ultra-marathon. 100k of rolling hills in NE Germany. Crazy. I rode along and around him for about 70k while another friend drove from sag stop to sag stop. At teh 80k mark we swiched and he ran the final 20k with him. Smoker of a course, some wicked hills and great scenery. And the beer at the end was fantastic...

At the finish we met a German doctor who has run over 600 marathons and ultras...sick! I asked him about his training regimen...his response was "I dont train, I just run." Awesome!

For those who dont know, an ultra is technically any run over 26.2 miles. Most are 50 or more. And no, I am not thinking about doing one. Focusing on the Army 10 miler in the fall.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
That is awesome. I really want to get into running though anything over 1-1.5 hours seems to much for me. Not for fitness reasons since I'm a worthless slob right now but because it kinda gets boring.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My buddy did the Leadville 100 a few years ago. Under 12 hours, and got the buckle.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
You dont understand...chunks is my dog! Thank you, tip your waitresses!

The other support guy has done the Leadville 100...and Pikes Peak run and marthon back to back. THese guys are nuts!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The one thing about cycling is there is a practical side to it.

I wonder how many times runners actually go some place on their runs.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
My buddy did the Leadville 100 a few years ago. Under 12 hours, and got the buckle.
Your friend must have done the fifty, not the 100. Matt Carpenter (mountain god) is the record holder for the 100 at 15 hours 42 minutes. I was there, stupidly trying it without training, the year he set the record and his pace was unreal.

My friend who tried with me that year has since finished Leadville and a handful of other 100s. His idea of a mild training run now is fifty miles. In a couple weeks he's going to do Nolan's 14 so I might tag along for a bit. http://mattmahoney.net/nolans14/

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Your friend must have done the fifty, not the 100. Matt Carpenter (mountain god) is the record holder for the 100 at 15 hours 42 minutes. I was there, stupidly trying it without training, the year he set the record and his pace was unreal.

My friend who tried with me that year has since finished Leadville and a handful of other 100s. His idea of a mild training run now is fifty miles. In a couple weeks he's going to do Nolan's 14 so I might tag along for a bit. http://mattmahoney.net/nolans14/
You're right, I was thinking about the bike, which is 12 hours. The run is complete in 24 hours. He did it in 23:5x. Total skin of your teeth to get the buckle.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Years ago I ran the Mount Si 50 mile Race in 10 hours 50 minutes - I think its the easiest 50 miler out there. Running on dirt is much easier on the body than pavement.