Quantcast

Crazy Sport

Trail Bum

Chimp
Jul 4, 2002
East Coast Earth
Dirt Jumpers are a stange and tuff breed of bikers. My son has been doing this for a while and his latest injury is a torn ACL. Are there any riders out there that are using custom knee braces? Which ones and how well do they hold up? I was hoping he would take up something a little easier on the body (and my insurance) like DH.:rolleyes:

rbx

Monkey
ask anybody here and they will tell you DH is not less dangerous than Dirt jumping..unfortunatly thats the nature of our sport i am sure everybody on this forum has brokin some part(including me)of their body while DH or dirtjuming..

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I'll go with RBX. Many many more injuries in dh than dj's. At least from what I see around here. (1 death and endless minor injuries with many many more serious injuries)

I think the only way to be safe on a bike ... hmmm ... I can't do it :)

Trail Bum

Chimp
Jul 4, 2002
East Coast Earth
The DH comment was my way of being sarcastic, I did not mean to diss anyone. I have ridden Plattekill many times and have not come home yet without something to remind me about the ride. Dirt jumpers do have serious injuries and that is where I was going with that. I have ridden/raced dirt bikes for +25 years and injuries there are frequent and sometimes real bad. There is an old saying "If you are not crashing, then you are not going fast enough!" and "When you are down you are just part of the trail and traction for someone else"

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
if you're on a bike for any length of time, you will get hurt...it's just a matter of time.

dirt jumping is probably a lot safer than dh or ds/4x. dh has a lot mroe rocks, roots, drops, and jumps that are all at speed. dirt jumping just has dirt. It's a lot easier to fall, roll around on the dirt then get back up than it is to fall, smack a tree and a few rocks, then try and get up. 4x jsut combines the two and adds 3 other people.

I'm just coming off a separated shoulder, bruised/torn rotator cuff, and a sprained neck. This was done dhing.

make sure he wears his helemt...thats one thing that won't heal

andy00

Chimp
Jun 5, 2002
San Francisco (Mission)
Originally posted by Trail Bum
My son has been doing this for a while and his latest injury is a torn ACL. Are there any riders out there that are using custom knee braces? Which ones and how well do they hold up?
I tore my ACL. It is not fun at all. Did he tear it all the way? Is he going to get ACL reconstruction? I would recomend getting a good OS and fixing this ASAP. Dirt jumping with no ACL could lead to further injuries.

About knee braces. I use an Inovation Sports CTi brace. It is a nice carbon fiber device. That and the Don Joy are the best ones. My CTI works well for riding and doesn't get in the way.

This message board is great for knee issues:
http://216.218.188.27/cgi-bin/kneebbs.pl

Good luck. Take care of the knee.

Trail Bum

Chimp
Jul 4, 2002
East Coast Earth
I have not heard of EVS braces. What does it stand for? I have had a CTi2 and its only good for dirt biking because the boot keeps it from sliding down. We have been looking at the Townsend Design braces, because of thier no migration (sliding down) guarantee.

Hacim

Chimp
Aug 12, 2001
Durango, CO
dirt jumping just has dirt??????????

i've been to a numerous amount of trails with trees rocks and fences to deal with.... i wouldn't say that one is more dangerous than the other, but i would say that they both kick ass.

Monstrocity

Chimp
Sep 25, 2001
Normandale, On, Canada
The CTi2's are quite good, i have a friend who wears two for BMX, MTB and skiing after tearing both his ACL's within a year, they never move on him or anything, They take a huge beating, getting hit with pedals and such, yet they are still holding up great.