Quantcast

Crazy things you have carried on your Bike.

splat

Nam I am
The thread aboutthe bicycle commuting got me to thinking about some ofthe things I have carried on my , most of the time commuting.

A) I once was brought home from work ( MIT at the time ) a 70 pound 34 Kv Tranformer and had it in my Right Panier , I had to lean the bike big time to the left to make the bike go straight and I could not make a left turn with out coming to a complete Halt.

B) Carring a 15 Inch Monocrome Monitor under my Arm from Lechmere Sq. Cambridge , to Back Bay , right through Kenmore square .

C+D) there was Always Sue sitting side saddle on my Rear Rack or Tammy sitting Handle bars :)

Honorable Mentions : cases of Beer , Lawn Chairs, a car battery and Lights, a Habachi , etc ,etc

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Tried to carry and empty keg on the bike. It didn't work out so well but I needed to $10 deposit to buy food.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Once, I dragged a lawn mower behind my bike to my shop for grass cuttin'. And several times, I'd go grocery shopping, took my bike inside to fill the panniers, paid, and re-loaded the panniers. I figured if I could pack them, I could get the goods home.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
when i lived in orange county, CA, i'd strap my bodyboard through my backpack and ride to the wedge everyday afterwork. the sandy crack ride back sucked bigtime but i swear i almost got enough lift to fly on the way down ;)

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Once, I dragged a lawn mower behind my bike to my shop for grass cuttin'. And several times, I'd go grocery shopping, took my bike inside to fill the panniers, paid, and re-loaded the panniers. I figured if I could pack them, I could get the goods home.
Wow that is a really good idea.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
road my xc bike home from diablo carrying a dirt jump frame, held onto dh bike while riding road bike to get air in the tyres (didnt work to well), i put a basket on my road bike with a baby goat once to bring it to show my grandma

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Carrying the fork, wheels, and most of the components of a DH bike, about 25lbs of the most awkward load ever.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
There's a picture of a friend of mine riding home on his bike from the car shop carrying his car tire/wheel. It was awesome, I'll try to find it.

Edit - found it. Anyone who knows Ricky knows how goofy he is, and can appreciate this picture.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Nothing to top some of the above, but....

A wheelset
A machete
A shovel, a pickaxe, and a rake, at the same time

Not me, but my bike:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
3 pointy shovels and a rake straight through the center of town and past the PO on the way to the trails. got a few dirty looks on tht one

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Without rack: Shovels (plural), pixie bikes (two was neigh impossible--unless riding one of them, one of them weighed over 30lbs.), giant bag full of gear plus backpack full of books and the camelbak and a full face and body armor dangling off somewhere (the standard awkward cross campus race weekend carpool commute), large boxes, stacks of 2x4s (8ft), another bike and a longboard skateboard--though they were collectively rolled rather than carried, and today a 20lb butcher block.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
No rack. 27" TV on the handlebars of my BMX. My buddy who found it would've dropped it for sure...

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
3 pointy shovels and a rake straight through the center of town and past the PO on the way to the trails. got a few dirty looks on tht one
i was walking to my trails w/o my bike, shovel in hand
and the medical office called the cops on me. he was
wondering if i was burying dead babys.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Once I used my bike to wheel a dresser between apartments... I wasn't riding it, so I dunno if that counts.