Quantcast

Creakity creak creak creak

J

JRB

So I have had this ticking creak on the road bike for a while. I can dig on the mtn bike since my rotor rubs no matter what, but this tick has driven me nuts. Last night I pulled the fork, the cranks, seatpost, saddle, and everything else, but the cassette and greased. I did the cassette last week though. Anyone want to bet it still phuckin creaks??? It is driving me nuts. I know, don't ride the road bike, but I aspire to be LordOpie. :thumb:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
And don't forget the pedals. I had a creak-creak-tick that went away when I went through a particularly deep mudhole. Deep enough to submerge my pedals. It'll be back, but now I know what to lube. :D

-S.S.-

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
SkaredShtles said:
And don't forget the pedals. I had a creak-creak-tick that went away when I went through a particularly deep mudhole. Deep enough to submerge my pedals. It'll be back, but now I know what to lube. :D

-S.S.-
Yep, switch the pedals and shoes(if you use different shoes for the road).

J

JRB

Done all of those. I didn't grease the chain. That is all. I did put a new one on last week just in case though. I have been tempted to grease the cables and bar tape too.

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
Yep, switch the pedals and shoes(if you use different shoes for the road).

Does it with both pairs of Sidi Dominators. Took the spindles out and greased the hell out of them too. Grease is dripping off of this thing. Put grease on springs for the first time ever on atacs. Don't get near this thing. It is leaking petro like the Valdez.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
how old are your hubs on your bike? i've got a super old front hub, it's bearings are done for and i can hear em makin a lot of clickiedclack noises while i ride. also if you have a computer, just check and make sure that magnet isn't hitting the pick. also check the bolts on your shifter, make sure they are tight, as well as the bolts on your stems face plate.

J

JRB

indieboy said:
how old are your hubs on your bike? i've got a super old front hub, it's bearings are done for and i can hear em makin a lot of clickiedclack noises while i ride. also if you have a computer, just check and make sure that magnet isn't hitting the pick. also check the bolts on your shifter, make sure they are tight, as well as the bolts on your stems face plate.

Regreased all of those. Hubs were done a couple of months ago. Thought that was it. They only have like 1,000 miles, but have been rebuilt in the last 500 or so. Magnet not hitting. Too easy. Greased stem bolts 2 weeks ago. Have not messed with the shifters, but they just seem to rattle when loose. :think:

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
loco-gringo said:
Regreased all of those. Hubs were done a couple of months ago. Thought that was it. They only have like 1,000 miles, but have been rebuilt in the last 500 or so. Magnet not hitting. Too easy. Greased stem bolts 2 weeks ago. Have not messed with the shifters, but they just seem to rattle when loose. :think:
they can make a clicking noise as well

J

JRB

jdcamb said:
Bet you it is a chainring bolt. I run into this all the time.....

God I hope not. That is the one thing I didn't grease last night. I did pull them all off a few weeks ago and grease and clean, but it could be.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
loco-gringo said:
God I hope not. That is the one thing I didn't grease last night. I did pull them all off a few weeks ago and grease and clean, but it could be.
One slighlty loose one will click just like you described. Lots of folks don't own a chainbolt tool and can't/don't tighten them properly. $2 tool that can prevent you from losing your mind IMO.....

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
One other thing you will want to check is the ferrels(housing ends).

A dab of grease on them when inserting them into the cable stops on the frame.

J

JRB

jdcamb said:
One slighlty loose one will click just like you described. Lots of folks don't own a chainbolt tool and can't/don't tighten them properly. $2 tool that can prevent you from losing your mind IMO.....
I did make sure they were all tight last night. Yes, yes, that is a handy tool . :thumb:

J

JRB

Skookum said:
i think i'm the only person i know of that doesn't mind creaks and ticks as long as they don't get out of hand.

This thing sounds like a train holmes. :mumble:

J

JRB

Instigator said:
One other thing you will want to check is the ferrels(housing ends).

A dab of grease on them when inserting them into the cable stops on the frame.

As crazy as it sounds, done that too.

J

JRB

25 miles in the rain and I can say F you creak or tick or whatever. It is finally gone. I got it, but have comitted to memory the possibilities for next time. Thanks. Yay it's gone.