Quantcast

Creaky bb, crank area.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Ive got a case of the creaks going on in the bottom bracket, crank area of my bike. Right now I have everything taken off except the bottom bracket and im wondering what parts I should grease and what parts I should just clean off.

Thanks, Dan

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
It seems as though my bb puller isn't the right size or something, its a pedro's isis puller but it wont reach the notches in the bb shell because the spindle is blocking it.

Dan

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
rockymt21 said:
It seems as though my bb puller isn't the right size or something, its a pedro's isis puller but it wont reach the notches in the bb shell because the spindle is blocking it.

Dan
That's because it's designed around a max spindle width of 118mm. A current Park BBT-2 is deep enough for a 128mm spindle. I'd pull the BB, clean it, grease it, and reinstall. Also grease the ISIS splines and crank bolts.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Here's what to do:

-Remove cranks
-Remove all rings, regrease bolts, re-install rings
-Take out BB
-Clean shell and BB
-Re-grease BB w/ anitseize lube
-Re-install to torque spec
-Re-install cranks, make sure the spindle and slines are clean
-Remove pedals
-Clean threads of cranks and pedals
-Grease pedals and re-tighten
-Remove chainguide, grease all bolts and pulleys and re-assemble

If that doesn't fix it, check your linkage.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
check to see how much spindle you have engaging on your crank arms... i think FSA may have messed some of the Sunday WC's bb's up.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Pip3r said:
check to see how much spindle you have engaging on your crank arms... i think FSA may have messed some of the Sunday WC's bb's up.
On the MegaExo cranks not on the Isis ones.

-ska todd

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
And another thing is you're positive it isn't a rusty chain? Don't mean to insult or anything, it's just I know I often forget seemingly obvious things a lot.