Quantcast

Cream soups

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Let's talk about it. Roux or no roux? Heavy cream or sour cream? Is it possible to do a low fat cream soup? How about base recipe that you can use for almost anything?

I've got a freezer full of grated zucchini and I think I need to make soup with it. I was thinking leek and zucchini, but I'm getting conflicted info in the recipes I've looked at.

gg

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
cream of zuke w/ leeks.

Someone didn't peel the zucchini before she grated it because it doesn't matter for baking. The soup had crunchy bits of zucchini rind in it! :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: Ptooie!!:disgust: :disgust: :disgust:

It tasted good, it just was inedible.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Ok....I finally remembered to post this up. Sorry to hear about the cream soup...maybe this one will be better although, I used chunks of zucchini rather than grated.

1/2lb. Italian Sausage
1 med. onion, chopped
1 lg. can whole or diced tomatoes or 10-15 fresh
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 1/2 qt. water
2 medium carrots, diced
2 cups shredded cabbage (not necessary, I have substituted kale or left it out)
1 large or 2 medium zucchini, diced
1 cup potatoes, diced or 1/2-3/4 raw rice or noodles
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp. ground tyme
1/4 tsp. dried basil (I tend to use about 1 tbsp. of freshly chopped)
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. salt
1-2 tsp. minced garlic (I tend to add more)
1tsp. pepper

In a large stock pot, brown sausage and drain off any excess grease. Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil stirring frequently. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring often. Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese and good sourdough bread.

(I've actually gotten to the point where I don't measure anything for this soup so you can feel free to experiment. I tend to like garlic and basil so I add extra).

well seeing as how I'm eating some right now...

make a roux with sesamea oil as your fat, but saute garlic and ginger in it first, then add flour, thicken, etc. slowly add one litre of chicken stock, 2 cans of coconut milk. Thinly slice about 15 slices of fresh ginger and add it in. Veggies of your choice (i used brocoli and mushrooms, and added some chicken). Chili sauce is a must as well. Salt and Pepper to taste. I made some regular old white rice, but put a 1/2 tablespoon of red curry paste in the water for extra flavour. Float a ball of rice in the soup, and you're set.

as for regular cream soups (potato, mushroom, etc) I use half heavy cream, half 1% milk as my dairy, and chicken or veggie boullion.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Ingredients
1 Clove Garlic, chopped.
4 Shallots, chopped.
2 fresh Red Chilies, chopped (I usually use Thai chilies but you can varry depending on availibility and how hot you like it).
1 Tbsp chopped fresh lemon grass.
2 cups chicken stock.
4 cups peeled and diced pumpkin.
1.5 cups coconut milk.
1 bunch fresh basil leaves.

Method
heat a little oil over a low heat and cook the:
Garlic, Shallots, Chillies and Lemon grass until fragrant (careful not to burn the garlic).
Stir in the Chicken stock, Coconut milk and pumpkin, bring to the boil and cook until the pumpkin is soft and cooked through.

Blend in a blender/processor to the consistency you like and serve with torn basil leaves.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Ingredients
1 Clove Garlic, chopped.
4 Shallots, chopped.
2 fresh Red Chilies, chopped (I usually use Thai chilies but you can varry depending on availibility and how hot you like it).
1 Tbsp chopped fresh lemon grass.
2 cups chicken stock.
4 cups peeled and diced pumpkin.
1.5 cups coconut milk.
1 bunch fresh basil leaves.

Method
heat a little oil over a low heat and cook the:
Garlic, Shallots, Chillies and Lemon grass until fragrant (careful not to burn the garlic).
Stir in the Chicken stock, Coconut milk and pumpkin, bring to the boil and cook until the pumpkin is soft and cooked through.

Blend in a blender/processor to the consistency you like and serve with torn basil leaves.
:drool: That sounds GOOD!!!! I actually had some incredible cream of Asparagus soup last night and I REALLY wish that I could have ordered it by the gallon to go :p