Quantcast

creatine information

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
Yeah, I must say it is a far better to get an objective point of view, anything I've come accross, up until this, was presented by the manufacturer.

Thanks

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by gecko
Yeah, I must say it is a far better to get an objective point of view, anything I've come accross, up until this, was presented by the manufacturer.

Thanks
Yeah, I checked the "About Us" link before posting this...just to be sure. ;)

You're welcome. :)

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
I've used creatine periodically over the last few years and found that it gives good results in increasing weight-training intensity and bulking up. But I also found that it gave me horrific quad and hamstring cramps on hard training rides early in the racing season. I actually had a muscle tear as a result of a hamstring cramp a few years ago. I have a friend who works closely with the BC and Canada nordic ski teams and they have advised their athletes to avoid creatine during the race season. It takes 25-30 days to purge your system of the effects of creatine supplements, so you can winter-train with it and then drop it when you switch to heavy cycling mode in the spring. If you stay well-hydrated there should be no problem with using it in off-season strength training. And use monohydrate, not citrate.

Nov 28, 2001
JAYDEE has explained the effects of creatine on a cyclist PERFECTLY! It will help in the gym but a side effect (if thats what you want to call it) is cramping during the ride. The calves seem to be primarily affected by this.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by FrazzledBanana
JAYDEE has explained the effects of creatine on a cyclist PERFECTLY! It will help in the gym but a side effect (if thats what you want to call it) is cramping during the ride. The calves seem to be primarily affected by this.
I use creatine, but it has not caused muscle cramping my rides...yet. I don't race, but I plan to next year. This is good to know. Thanks.

Mark

Chimp
Oct 8, 2001
England
dudes,

I used creatine a couple of years back and it caused me really bad cramp.

During a race run I got a severe case of cramp in my braking fingers, causing me to lock on both brakes!!

I had to stop and physically wrench my fingers from the levers :eek:

MCV-PT

Chimp
Nov 4, 2001
KInda close to SK6
2 summers ago I reviewed a lot of studies on creatine. Results were so variable that it was difficult and still is to come to any conclusions about its use ie. how much, when to take it, how long to take it, etc. We did our own little study in the PT clinic using 2 PT's as subjects. It was a blind study, one PT took the creatine one did not ( we did not know who was taking it} We exercised for 6 weeks without any supplements, then 6 weeks with. Our results definitly demonstrated a significant change in muscle size for the person using the creatine as well as strength. However as soon as the creatine was stopped, even though exersice continued muscle size was decreased. Since at that time there were no studies on the long term use of the supplement I felt it wise to stick to a good protein drink while building muscle rather than a quick fix. It was a very interesting experience for us. I was the one taking the creatine, built up some strong legs and arms! At least I'm not blind any more:D

R

RideMonkey

My philosophy is simple: If it was made in a laboratory, it shouldnt be put in your body. That goes for anything, including creatine.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by RideMonkey
My philosophy is simple: If it was made in a laboratory, it shouldnt be put in your body. That goes for anything, including creatine.
I don't want to start an argument here, but the medicine you take is made in a laboratory. Aspirin, ibuprofen, cold medication, etc.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by I Are Baboon

I don't want to start an argument here, but the medicine you take is made in a laboratory. Aspirin, ibuprofen, cold medication, etc.
FYI, I don't take those either. :)