Quantcast

creative berms

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
random thoughts at work.......

i don't remember where i got this photo, but imagine if you were fully sideways into the berm like he is... but then there is 4 feet where the berm has been completely cut out. like a channel in a skate bowl.

could you bunnyhop the gap, like a skater would ollie the channel ? what if you built a bump-jump into it so it pops you over the gap....

if that would work... could it be possible to have a completely sideways double?

we have a berm to berm jump that comes out of a sideways 180 u-turn that lands into a 180 u-turn in the opposite direction. sort of like a sideways jump but the landing is sideways in the opposite direction.... right here on the right side...

and to answer your question, no your idea isn't possible because gravity does not work sideways, which is what causes you to land back on a normal jump...

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
your spot looks rad. i have seen s-berm doubles--we have one of those in a pump track, they are definitely fun.

as for the 'gravity doesn't work sideways'.... the feeling of gravity does work sideways (and upside down) when you're traveling at speed on a curved path. this is why fighter pilots talk about G-Forces ("Gravity" force) and why rollercoasters can go upside down.

next time you go around a berm or skatepark bowl real fast, try to bunnyhop in the middle of the curve. do you land back on the curve or do you fall off onto the flatbottom?

Last edited:
i'm pretty sure a bunnyhop and a lip that sends you in a different trajectory are gonna have different results...if i'm understanding you correctly, by your theory, if you had a ball on a string and swung it in a circle and let it go, it would continue to fly in a circle. which is not true, it will follow the last forced path of trajectory...

edit: after some thinking, you will land back in the berm, but only because it is continuing to come back around to you. seems that it would be impossible to change the angle of your projection though, making it almost impossible to get a nose in landing. it would have to be a "step-up" with a somewhat "upward" angled landing...

Last edited:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I think you could make it work. We used to have this one at our trails. The berm basically just ended, like you are talking about, but it went up to a level landing...

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
edit: after some thinking, you will land back in the berm, but only because it is continuing to come back around to you. seems that it would be impossible to change the angle of your projection though, making it almost impossible to get a nose in landing. it would have to be a "step-up" with a somewhat "upward" angled landing...
That's what I was thinking, it would almost have to be a step-up (or a step-sideways), if there was a lip. If it was just flat, you could probably just ride over the gap, if you built it right.

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
yall are both right. the more i think about it... you would have to tweak the placement of the second half of the berm.

the sideways launch ramp in the berm, what it's really doing is abruptly sending you on a new curved path.. you're not ever going back to the path of the old berm (or at least not smoothly, it'll be a serious thud)....

could it be like this

sorry for my crap computer art skills... you're riding the inside of this curve sideways. when you hit the green "launch" you're on a new trajectory. either the red or blue will be the second berm after the gap.

damn it's almost time to get out of work on friday for labor day weekend.....yeah!!!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I think you could make it work. We used to have this one at our trails. The berm basically just ended, like you are talking about, but it went up to a level landing...

cru that looks sick. i've been thinking about doing a similar thing except that instead of spitting you up to a landing it's going to be corkscrewing down to a nosedive into a pit. you're going to be coming around a berm then berm abruptly stops and you straighten out and dive down into a pit.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Alright, I was thinking about this again (that's the engineer in me). Say you're railing through a 180 berm, completely sideways, and the berm just ends. You're direction of travel is going to be tangent to the berm, just like WCH's broken string example. So, you'd actually have to move the 2nd part of the berm back to catch it without casing. And you'd probably want to straighten it out a little to not kill your momentum. Or, you probably could just put a little lip in there to make you catch the original berm (if it kept going 180). WCH should be proud of these drafting skills...

Edit: I think this is what Joel is saying, too

Last edited:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
cru that looks sick. i've been thinking about doing a similar thing except that instead of spitting you up to a landing it's going to be corkscrewing down to a nosedive into a pit. you're going to be coming around a berm then berm abruptly stops and you straighten out and dive down into a pit.
That'd be hella rad.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I love messing with physics! I've been working on a gully line, but trying to mix it up a little. Rather than diging out the banks, I want to continuously transfer back and forth across the gully, which is requiring me to basically carve satellite dishes out of the banks. I'm at a crux now where I REALLY want to basically build two dirt quarters, one on each side of the gully, and essentially treat it like a massive spine where you'll have to pull up and over and drop back in about 12' to the right without more than a foot of gap. If I can get THAT to work I want to dig out the backsides into actual spines and a 180 berm to hit them AGAIN but on the backside like a half with a channel and then back into the jump line...
My biggest problem is that none of us have ever hit a 6' tall spine...let alone a dirt spine...let alone a dirt spine to dirt spine transfer...over a gully...?
Hmmmm...dirt. I'm gonna eat some.

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I love messing with physics! I've been working on a gully line, but trying to mix it up a little. Rather than diging out the banks, I want to continuously transfer back and forth across the gully, which is requiring me to basically carve satellite dishes out of the banks. I'm at a crux now where I REALLY want to basically build two dirt quarters, one on each side of the gully, and essentially treat it like a massive spine where you'll have to pull up and over and drop back in about 12' to the right without more than a foot of gap. If I can get THAT to work I want to dig out the backsides into actual spines and a 180 berm to hit them AGAIN but on the backside like a half with a channel and then back into the jump line...
My biggest problem is that none of us have ever hit a 6' tall spine...let alone a dirt spine...let alone a dirt spine to dirt spine transfer...over a gully...?
Hmmmm...dirt. I'm gonna eat some.
got any pics of your spot ? hard to visualize what you're talking about. 6 foot tall spines are not that bad IF they are mellow transitioned. if they have a 6 foot tall radius, up to vert, prepare to eat dirt !!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I'm no to that point yet, I'm still sorting this all out. Since I'm digging in basically deadfall and slide dirt, I only get one really good shot at it. If I have to put any of the dirt back in it doesn't settle right. But basically imagine a gully about 12' wide at the bottom, 20' wide at the top, steep walls, lots of trees down in the bottom that we're jumping under/over. I'm going to use one tree that's pretty level as "coping" for this spine. So imagine a 6' tallish quarter on the left, a 6'-10' gap in the middle, and then you'll see the backside of the other quarter on the right. with only the thickness of the log coping for gap. So this jump is going to have to have some vert for some hangtime.
And did I mention this is a BIG BIKE jump line? :) I wanted a place I didn't have to prune and clean all the time like you do for the nimble little hardtails. And it's a fugging riot in the rain with luggies. So 6"-8" travel bikes, 2.5" lugs, dirt spines, 1/4s, and satellite dishes! Kinda cool...hop on the hardtail after this run and everything gets boosted!
I'll post pics up once I get half way down this gully(it's about a mile long and slightly downhill, and I want a stunt/gap/transfer every 20 feet), but it won't be anything "Next Level..."

Last edited:

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I'm no to that point yet, I'm still sorting this all out. Since I'm digging in basically deadfall and slide dirt, I only get one really good shot at it. If I have to put any of the dirt back in it doesn't settle right. But basically imagine a gully about 12' wide at the bottom, 20' wide at the top, steep walls, lots of trees down in the bottom that we're jumping under/over. I'm going to use one tree that's pretty level as "coping" for this spine. So imagine a 6' tallish quarter on the left, a 6'-10' gap in the middle, and then you'll see the backside of the other quarter on the right. with only the thickness of the log coping for gap. So this jump is going to have to have some vert for some hangtime.
And did I mention this is a BIG BIKE jump line? :) I wanted a place I didn't have to prune and clean all the time like you do for the nimble little hardtails. And it's a fugging riot in the rain with luggies. So 6"-8" travel bikes, 2.5" lugs, dirt spines, 1/4s, and satellite dishes! Kinda cool...hop on the hardtail after this run and everything gets boosted!
I'll post pics up once I get half way down this gully(it's about a mile long and slightly downhill, and I want a stunt/gap/transfer every 20 feet), but it won't be anything "Next Level..."
From what your describing it sounds like it might be easier to add a hip landing in. So rather than hit the spine strait hit it on the side and hip and then the same thing, but opposite on the next one. That is if I'm understanding you right. It will be cool to see some pics when its done. Good luck with it.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
this isnt a berm... it's a tilted monster-roller (really a table that is 9 or 10 feet lip to lip, but volkswagened out on top a bit and tilted to allow for hipping into the pit jump). it's part of a pump/jump track... not hardcore pro shlt i know, but it's super fun.... the pit is about 3 feet deep and the above-ground part is another 2 ft. so it feels like 5 foot tall bowl.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Your idea is possible. I was riding jersey barriers and I transferred from one to the other and I realized that if your berm got really tall in the middle, you could ride low in the beginning of the berm and shoot out of the tall part like a quarter and then land in the other side.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Somewhere I saw a pic of a 540 berm. or something like that, more then a 360... like two circles. One outside and one smaller, inside and then you jumped out of the smaller back into the trail section.

no clue where I saw that though....

D.E.T.

Chimp
Jan 21, 2004
NC
Sounds like this one. Scroll to the second update, the direct link wouldn't work because it was getting censored.