Quantcast

Creative Zen Nano vs Ipod Shuffle

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Looking to get my wife an MP3 player... she doesn't need anything fancy, expensive, or with huge amounts of storage space. I was looking at the Creative Zen Nano and the Ipod Shuffle (both 512mbers).

Any thoughts on the two? Easy of use is crucuial. Do either of them support .mp3 files (the circiut city website, where I'm comparing them, doesn't list it)? It would be nice not to have to convert files depending on where they are going to be used.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
They both support MP3.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/reviews/Audio/Creative_Zen_Nano_Plus/2/

Once again, Creative has managed to out-do Apple. With the biggest criticism levelled at the iPod Shuffle being the lack of display, Creative has managed to sneak in a decent sized screen (along with everything else the Shuffle has to offer) and slip it into a tiny and very attractive casing...the Creative Zen Nano Plus beats the iPod Shuffle into submission in each and every area.
I'd go with screen over no-screen anyway.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
How much do you want to spend? Neither of those rate that great among the various models available.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Just get the Creative then.

Looking at CC it seems like the 1GB doesn't cost too much more - get that one for $70

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
binary visions said:
I'd go with screen over no-screen anyway.
Having owned and used the creative I would't say the screen makes it a better player. Unless you like navigating a menu on a tiny screen just to set the play mode to random. Some sliding switches or the like to control the most used options would make it much nicer to use.

edit: That review you posted is awful. I doubt they used it for more than 5 minutes before writing it.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
If it means anything I have a Creative Zen touch and it has been awesome so far. Great value and the customer service f'in rocks. I ended up having an issue with the firmware, and my player got royally dicked up and the guy said just to send it in and I had a new one before I knew it.