Quantcast

Credit Card Minimums To Increase

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Credit Card Minimums To Increase

If you have a credit card, your minimum payment may soon be doubling.

If you carry an MBNA, Citibank, or Bank of America card, you can count on seeing your minimum payment double by the end of the year, and other credit card companies plan to follow suit.

Why? Think of it this way. The average marriage lasts eight years.

The average time you live in one home is 10 years. However, the average time it takes to pay off $6,000 on your credit card if you're just making minimum payments is 40 years!

That's why the comptroller of currency recommended banks raise their minimum payments from 2 percent of the balance to 4 percent.

The bad news is that you'll have a higher payment, but the good news is you'll pay it off faster. Here's one reason credit card companies are taking this recommendation.

"Credit card companies need to give kind of like a Surgeon General's Warning, a disclaimer statement really telling consumers how long it will take them to pay it off if they pay just minimum payment," Sally Borie with the Consumer Credit Counseling Service said.

That warning of how many years it will take you to pay off your credit card balance should appear on your statement beginning in October.

So what do you do if you can't afford your minimum payment doubled? Curb your spending. Try buying gasoline with cash verse credit.

See a credit counselor. They can help you find ways to make a smaller payment each month and control your cards. The average person has four credit cards.

Cut three up or at least take them out of your wallet, and get this: the average credit card debt most Americans carry is $10,000.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I carry a $0.00 balance from one month to another... suxors sometimes to pay the $1000-$2500 payment but 25% interest suxors worse!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Having someone else in control of your finances is always a good idea :nope:
heh heh... you should see how bad it get's when I am in charge of my finances. We're getting married in October... she's more then just a GF.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Ciaran said:
heh heh... you should see how bad it get's when I am in charge of my finances. We're getting married in October... she's more then just a GF.
Does she know you call her a GF and not a Fiance'? You could get a :nuts: for that.

Just saying... congrats on your pending marriage to someone that will manage your cash for ya :rolleyes:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Does she know you call her a GF and not a Fiance'? You could get a :nuts: for that.

Just saying... congrats on your pending marriage to someone that will manage your cash for ya :rolleyes:
What?! GF stands for Great Fiancee!

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
563 740 said:
Doesn't the average American also have like 11 credit cards?
see what I don't understand is how come joe blow with lots of debt can get 11 credit cards but me with my perfect credit score and owened house can't get a credit limit over $1500

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Ah the joys of owning a house... if I ever need to carry debt, I pay the same interest as my mortgage, and it's tax deductible.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
if i remebor correctly the legal limit for credid cards is 27% but is higer on things like cash advances and quickie loans

I got locked in at 8% best card I have ever had

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Echo said:
Ah the joys of owning a house... if I ever need to carry debt, I pay the same interest as my mortgage, and it's tax deductible.

errr you might want to check on that. Not all interest payments are deductible. (it gets technical) just a FYI... I'd hate to see a monkey get into trouble

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
errr you might want to check on that. Not all interest payments are deductible. (it gets technical) just a FYI... I'd hate to see a monkey get into trouble
Under what circumstance is the interest on a home equity line of credit not tax deductible?

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Echo said:
Under what circumstance is the interest on a home equity line of credit not tax deductible?
If you are not specifically using the money to improve your home. Here is an extreme example, and there are CERTAINLY areas of grey in between.

Example... You take out an equity loan on your home and payoff your car.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
firetoole said:
see what I don't understand is how come joe blow with lots of debt can get 11 credit cards but me with my perfect credit score and owened house can't get a credit limit over $1500
I often wonder that myself. I have known people who were so in debt it was scary! I wonder why credit card companies would continue to give them more rope to hang themselves with.

The only thing I can think is that some of the smaller companies, with disgusting interest rates, will give anyone credit and will continue to up their limits until they are in a position to where there is no way the balance can be paid off...

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
blt2ride said:
I often wonder that myself. I have known people who were so in debt it was scary! I wonder why credit card companies would continue to give them more rope to hang themselves with.

The only thing I can think is that some of the smaller companies, with disgusting interest rates, will give anyone credit and will continue to up their limits until they are in a position to where there is no way the balance can be paid off...
this reminds me of all the car dealer commercials around here. it seems like if you have bad credit there are more/ better deals out there than if you are a responsable consumer

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
If you are not specifically using the money to improve your home. Here is an extreme example, and there are CERTAINLY areas of grey in between.

Example... You take out an equity loan on your home and payoff your car.
Yep, the color shades to an Xtreme gray too when you factor in AMT (not talkin' to you Rob, everybody else).

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
firetoole said:
I often wonder about that. A friend of ours who has no job, two kids, and is in debt AND got kicked out of her rental house because she didn't make any rent payments for like 3 months goes out and in one week rented a bigger house that was more expensive! With NO JOB!!! Meanwhile The GF and I have decent (Not great) credit, good jobs and money in the bank have a hard time renting a small house. WTF!?!

It ain't right I tells ya!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
If the average American has 11 credit cards and I only have one, who out there is compensating for me with 21 credit cards? Hehe...

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Ciaran said:
I often wonder about that. A friend of ours who has no job, two kids, and is in debt AND got kicked out of her rental house because she didn't make any rent payments for like 3 months goes out and in one week rented a bigger house that was more expensive! With NO JOB!!! Meanwhile The GF and I have decent (Not great) credit, good jobs and money in the bank have a hard time renting a small house. WTF!?!

It ain't right I tells ya!
Is her alimony equal to the GDP of a small country?

Regardless, it ain't right no matter what. Congrats on the marriage btw.