Quantcast

Crested Butte Sucks

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
3 days, 2 nights camping and riding in the hills. It was okay.

Day 1.

We found a campsite literally right next to the Doctor Park bottom trail head. Watched 4-5 people come down while we were setting up the tent. It was threatening to rain the whole day but never actually did. Finally around 4, I couldn't take it anymore and had the wife shuttle me up the road.

Then the climb starts.

Looking back

MOAR UP!

Nothing to see here, move along.

Top-ish. Still some climbing, but mostly roller type stuff going over the ridge.

Beginning of the descent, and the last pictures I took for the ride.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Day 2.

Drove from the camp ground to CB, then up to Gothic. Parked just above the Rocky Mountain Biological Lab so the wife and kid could check that out, and I headed up Schofield Pass for 401.

Holy shit, wildflowers!

The hills are alive....with the sound of music!!!!

Anyhow, didn't take any pictures on the way up other than in the parking lot. I really wanted to see if I could make it all the way to the top without stopping and I did without ever really feeling terribly winded. Passed maybe 5-6 people, got passed by probably a dozen cars full of flat landers and pussies.

Not so lucky going from the top of Schofield to the top of 401. Sections of it are pretty steep, though not technical by any means. Views near teh top. Pretty much done climbing but you still have to get across the ridge.

The dentists and their shinny new Niners.

If anyone has a clue what these flowers are, I'd love to know. The picture doesn't even do justice to how bright and vibrant they were.

Banzai!!!!!!!!!!

Only really sketchy area on the whole trail. Not terribly technical but it's a long fuck way if you don't make it. I opted to walk since I was solo, though FSM knows there were plenty of people around, and took more pictures.

Nothing but smooth single track almost the rest of the way.

Columbines. Big as my fist.

Nearing the bottom. Wove through the aspens for what seemed like way more miles then I'm sure there actually are. Hero dirt, some roots, a little mud and all downhill.

Cutoff before the second climb, for the weak. :disgust1: Last picture I took for the day.

Second climb was really muddy in spots, and doesn't earn you much down hill that's not heavily traveled dirt road.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Miscellaneous and Sundry.

Old log cabin near where the wife dropped me off for Doctor Park. I remember playing in this place when I was around my daughter's age.

It appears to have a permanent resident.

Practicing for senior pictures I guess

Crazy girls

Did I mention the wildflowers this year?

Derp

Double Derp

Black Canyon

An exercising Lab is a happy Lab

Is a tired Lab

Is a Lab old and tired enough to put up with this indignity.

On the way home, stopped in Poncha Springs for beer at Elevation, maybe not the best brewery in CO, but damn it, they're trying. Most CO picture ever?

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'm kicking myself for having not ridden either Doctor's Park or 401 so far despite knowing that they are supposed to kick all kinds of ass.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
7+ years since I rode in CB and that section on 401 was sketchy then, can only imagine how much worse it is now.

Anyone know when the trails normally thaw out? Just got given a week of free lodging out there and won't be able to use it this year.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yeah I figured July was probably the earliest, might have to push it to later in the year as wifey and I are riding the BC bike race that month.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yeah I figured July was probably the earliest, might have to push it to later in the year as wifey and I are riding the BC bike race that month.
August is usually killer - streams have calmed down, sometimes the monsoon has calmed down. Days are still pretty long and warm.

Mid-September is the winner, though - what with the crisp nights and warm days and colors changing. Best time of year.

Of course, weather could be complete $hite any of those times, too. And in September, that sometimes means not-insignificant amounts of snow in the high country.