Quantcast

Crested Butte

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
Me and a couple of friends are renting condo for 1 week in mid July. Recommendations on trails, food, bars much appreciated!!!

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
If you like Pizza, go to "The Secret Stash", for good burritos, "Teocali Tamale", their tamales aren't bad either..... durrrrr. If it's clear, my favorite trail there is the Dike trail, but there's a lot of snow yet to melt up there by lake Irwin, ask at the local shops when you get there, they should know....Also, on the MTB hall of fame website, there's a link to trail conditions......

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
If you like Pizza, go to "The Secret Stash", for good burritos, "Teocali Tamale", their tamales aren't bad either..... durrrrr. If it's clear, my favorite trail there is the Dike trail, but there's a lot of snow yet to melt up there by lake Irwin, ask at the local shops when you get there, they should know....Also, on the MTB hall of fame website, there's a link to trail conditions......
Sweet, thanks for the info! I think we r gonna be close to trail 401 or 410 which is suppose to be a good one. I'm sure most everything up there has got to be good.

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
Cool, thanks SkaredShtles! We won't be camping out, staying indoors. My buddy said something about being close to this trail (401/410) which he said was good. Will there be snow in mid July? I'm from Phoenix so that's gonna be trippy if there is snow up there :help:
We will definately hit the LBS for maps/advice.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Ate at Donita's a couple nights ago and experienced HANDS DOWN the WORST service I ever have in my entire life. Ever. Seriously: everything from forgotten drink orders (forgot three times and finally had to go to the bar myself to retrieve said beverages) to the wrong food being served to one of the guys in our party, and then the server telling him it was his fault for ordering later than the rest of the party.

I will not go back to that restaurant. Ever.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ate at Donita's a couple nights ago and experienced HANDS DOWN the WORST service I ever have in my entire life. Ever. Seriously: everything from forgotten drink orders (forgot three times and finally had to go to the bar myself to retrieve said beverages) to the wrong food being served to one of the guys in our party, and then the server telling him it was his fault for ordering later than the rest of the party.

I will not go back to that restaurant. Ever.
Shame...

Granted it's been awhile since I've been there and I always go with my aunt & uncle who seem to know all the wait staff... so YMMV as always.

It'd be a pity if it sucks now. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Cool, thanks SkaredShtles! We won't be camping out, staying indoors. My buddy said something about being close to this trail (401/410) which he said was good. Will there be snow in mid July? I'm from Phoenix so that's gonna be trippy if there is snow up there :help:
We will definately hit the LBS for maps/advice.
There will be snow around when you're there. It'll be pretty patchy by mid-July. Might still be covering the road before you get to Schofield Pass - there's a BIG avy chute that comes down on the other side of the valley and routinely covers the road... sometimes all summer.

You must be staying near 410, because there's no lodging anywhere NEAR 401. :D

Lux Interior

Monkey
Jun 18, 2005
there's a reason they call that place "Dogmeata's". All the riding should be epic with some snow and mud. Just remember you'll be riding around 10,000 ft follow the rules of the mountians, they are not negotiable. If you need a shop go to the one at Colorado Boarder on the mountian Jeff the Afrikaner is the man!

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
Just got back from CB and it rocked! Thanks again for advice, Secret Stash good! I posted ride report if u wants to check it out.

Bovine

Chimp
Jul 22, 2008
Howdy Folks,

I too am heading out to CB next week for 7 days of riding. This will be my first road trip as a Dad, with my 7 month old son, and my wife who also rides. We are camping for our first time in a pop-up camper (we are seasoned travelers used to camping in tents or bivy spots at random primative locations) so we are going "luxury" for sure, a little scary.

I'm looking for some more info, as the previous posts were all awesome for local food, bars, rides, etc. I am good there. What I'd like to know is where I can stick this camper, preferably on Forest Service land (free) for the week to serve as a base camp. I don't need any services, looking for a primative site, preferably near water, trees, and a bike ride distance from town (like 10 miles or less) because we prefer to ride into town for grocery stops and beer drinkin', as well as to do trail rides since it seems they all start from town anyway. Any beta would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
There are several options for stashing the trailer:

Kebler Pass road
Gothic Road
Slate River Road
Washington Gulch
Cement Creek (this one is will be a bit further than 10 miles)

I'd recommend either riding or driving up those areas to see what works for you.

HTH.

Bovine

Chimp
Jul 22, 2008
There are several options for stashing the trailer:

Kebler Pass road
Gothic Road
Slate River Road
Washington Gulch
Cement Creek (this one is will be a bit further than 10 miles)

I'd recommend either riding or driving up those areas to see what works for you.

HTH.
THANKS for the info. IF YOU had to pick one area to look first, what would you choose? And...assuming you are local, I owe you a cold one.

Bovine

Chimp
Jul 22, 2008
Well... I live in Colorado if that makes me a local. :D

I'd probably pick... hmmm... probably Gothic Road. The scenery up that valley is KILLER. :thumb:
Sweet! I'll give it a go.

You are closer than me... Ft. Collins transplant to the great flat nothing one state east...

Thanks again!

Lux Interior

Monkey
Jun 18, 2005
out gothic you could actually camp at the end of 401. "401?" you say! yes, THE 401, on another note, not sure if you have an SUV type thing but if you go exploring up some of the jeep trails looking for a more remote spot, REMEMBER little streams you cross in the morning could be raging rivers in the afternoon. have fun

Lux Interior

Monkey
Jun 18, 2005
yeah guess so, I just always thought it was funny when a rig would get towed back into town and I would pull the sparkplugs, spin it over and water would shoot out of the holes.....ahhh good times at Mountian Auto.