Quantcast

Crested Butte

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
Was up in CB last week and it was AWESOME!!!

It's been a while since I've been in Colorado, last time I went biking in Fruita and Durango was about 9 years ago. As soon as I got to CB I remembered why CO is so great: Mountain views, cool crisp clean air, and sweet trails!

I'm not a photo guy so let me know if these pics are good/bad/too many/whatever.

Here's a couple shots of the town and the condo we stayed at:

We were actually up in Mt. Crested Butte which is the little glob of buildings up towards the mountain.

We had the top floor and the hot tub was a leg saver!

First ride we did was Snodgrass as it was close to our place. The climbing wasn't too bad as it was mostly Gothic road and a little double track at the top.

The trailhead is back by the pond.

Only a little more climbing ...

Then the fun started, almost all down sweet singletrack to the road that looped back to Gothic.

You will notice I don't take many pics of the downs as I like to ride those, but there a lot of pics of the ups :biggrin:
Second ride was actually a two parter. We did a couple of trails real close to town: Upper Lower Loop and Tonys to Whetstone Vista.
Here's the gang about to head onto upper lower and the "New Yorkers", the older couple who had mucho adviso but wouldn't shut up 'o!

And then my fav part of the trail was GB Loop.

The start of Tony's trail and CB in the background.

Cool rock.

The end, thank god, my leg started cramping. Whetstone Vista trail was really rocky and rooty.

I took a day off from biking and hiked part of the 401 or Trailriders trail as it was not 100% open.

Cool little stream crossings all over.

Deer tracks???

I really like this pic!

Random flowers

For the final ride at least for me as this trail destroyed my shock and snapped off my left brake lever was Doctor's Park. It was recommended by the guy at Big Al's bike shop and also in the Colorado forum. It totally sucked going up :banghead: but was one of my favorite trails going down (6 miles o' fun) :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:!!!

To start there is a long dirt road that eventually comes to a stream crossing.

After crossing the stream the real pain begins up Doctor's gulch. I didn't get gears on my bike so I was hiking a lot of this :banghead::banghead::banghead:

A little more up ...

little more ... yeah right!

Finally we reached the top.

Into the woods, oh yeah don't ride a SS here unless u a monster!

Me at the start of Doctor's loop.

Time to eat.

This was the point where the down started, I don't have any pics until just before the end where I lost it a broke my left brake lever. Terrain was smooth in places, rough and rooty in others, loose and rocky in others with a bunch of switchbacks and whoops thrown in. I could feel my wrists and hands at the end!

I would like to go back and do more trails, must make sure I'm also in better shape next time!

Last edited: