Quantcast

Crikey- He's Dead

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Seemed kind of inevitable, yeah?
No kidding. It was a mere matter of time if you ask me.

The guy couldn't have bene that intelligent... what'd he do with his son over an alligator pit or something? That oughta' set off some sort of alarm in your head when your husband has your kid over hungry alligators and/or crocs! :busted:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
it's sad that he died at a fairly young age, but it really was only a matter of time until something like this happened. at least he died doing something he loved.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
He pushed the animal interaction envelope to show people nature and try to make them care. I guess. If you see an animal up close you are more likely to want to save it. :cheers:
i still think koalas are cuter from a distance. when they're close they can get you with their razor sharp claws!

:clue:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Well, when you spend a lifetime ****ing with wild animals that dont want to be ****ed with, eventually the odds catch up. I used to like Steve Irwin, but when I was in Australia with the Marines he was supposed to come out to the training area and talk to like 30-40,000 US&Australian troops about...whatever..
that's a load of people...did you rent out the local cricket stadium for his talk?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
that's a load of people...did you rent out the local cricket stadium for his talk?
No. We were out in the field, I might be inflating the #'s but I think that's pretty close. I guess we would've just got in formation.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
please don t ruin shirleys fantasy.. 30-40 000 navy men on a hot summers night.. pressed together feverishly, sweating against a chicken wire fence, while their aussie hero stands onstage...

god, what have i done....

steve - RIP...

this is the epitome of a freak accident... well unlucky, doesn t change the facts tho'... RIP fella...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
well, if it makes a difference, i think it's fitting that he died on the great barrier reef. That is one of the craziest natural wonders of the world in my opinion. Its a sad day for sure, but I guess i would rather it have been exploring one of the most amazing places on the planet rather than in a dirty swamp by a cranky crocodile

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I had to change the channel when the news came on about it last night after dinner. Besides his nature shows, my kids know him from his collaboration with another of Australia's fine exports, The Wiggles. Wiggly Safari is a favorite of theirs and I wasn't about to have the "life & death & heaven" talk with a 2 and a 4 year old right before their bedtime. Like any well-known performer, he had his schtick that made him fun to lampoon, but he undoubtedly lived(and died) doing what he loved, secure that he touched and enriched millions about him.

It's a dangerous business, that- just ask the Cousteaus.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The Onions, "What do you think?" article:

Crocodile Hunter Dead At 44

Steve Irwin, star of Discovery Channel’s The Crocodile Hunter, was killed by a stingray while filming in Australia. What do you think?

Mike Sanders,
Janitor
"Shocking! Who knew a single stingray could take down a cable channel 10 times its size?"

Janelle Silvers,
Media Analyst
"Man, talk about stinging the heart that pumps the blood to the hand that feeds you."

Thomas Wright,
Bike Repairperson
"Called it! Four years ago, I saw him handle a black mamba, and I turned to my wife and said, 'I bet he's going to die one day,' and sure enough, he died."

Apr 3, 2005
So. Dak.
the news really twists this crap up though. especially cnn... the first article i read talks more about how the stab killed him because the venom usually isnt strong enough and it was in his chest, yet the second article i read talks about how the venom killed him. its sad how the news has to jump all over this.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Thomas Wright,
Bike Repairperson
"Called it! Four years ago, I saw him handle a black mamba, and I turned to my wife and said, 'I bet he's going to die one day,' and sure enough, he died."
:biggrin:
Ironically, snakes where one of the few animals he interacted relatively safely with as he didn't try to pin their heads like most of the other presenters do, he just held them by the tail.
He'd been criticised a bit in Australia for the way he interacted with crocodiles, other people familiar with crocodiles thought he was asking for trouble.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
:biggrin:
Ironically, snakes where one of the few animals he interacted relatively safely with as he didn't try to pin their heads like most of the other presenters do, he just held them by the tail.
He'd been criticised a bit in Australia for the way he interacted with crocodiles, other people familiar with crocodiles thought he was asking for trouble.
Some wildlife biologists think his unnecessary handling of animals was out of line anyway. Why tackle some wild beast? For ratings? The stress to the animals is pretty severe in some cases. His rescues were cool though, but why handle wild animals just for ratings? Did he really push conservation? Or rednecks to go out and tackle the next animal that moves?
No doubt he really cared for critters tho.

Mar 9, 2006
behind you !!! ARRRR...
Some wildlife biologists think his unnecessary handling of animals was out of line anyway. Why tackle some wild beast? For ratings? The stress to the animals is pretty severe in some cases. His rescues were cool though, but why handle wild animals just for ratings? Did he really push conservation? Or rednecks to go out and tackle the next animal that moves?
He handled them, to mae people watch. If they watch they will care. Maybe........ Well probably not, people do not care about anything but themselves. :rant:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I agree too Shirl, first rule of dangerous animals- leave them alone. I think his main aim was to promote himself/get rich and then conservation. He was passionate for conservation no doubt but probably more passionate for himself. As they say "you f*ck with the bull, you get the horns". Almost literally in this case. Terribly sad for his kids though, growing up without a dad.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
It's definately sad but as others have said, you play with fire you're gonna get burned.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Think this will actually happen?
quote from CNN.com
As far as the videotape showing Irwin's death, "I would never want that tape shown," Stainton said. "It should be destroyed. At the moment, it's in police custody. A coroner's inquest is taking place. When that is finally released, it will never see the light of day, ever."

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Think this will actually happen?
quote from CNN.com
I will be extremely surprised if that happens. Someone, somewhere will want to make a quick buck, no matter what the morality of the situation. There will most likely be an inquest into his death due to it's unusual nature. That won't happen until next year at the earliest so the tape won't be destroyed until after that happens. It gives someone with access a long time to make a copy.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
It could be a DVD bonus feature for something

I will be extremely surprised if that happens. Someone, somewhere will want to make a quick buck, no matter what the morality of the situation. There will most likely be an inquest into his death due to it's unusual nature. That won't happen until next year at the earliest so the tape won't be destroyed until after that happens. It gives someone with access a long time to make a copy.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I dont hope his death will be shown on some stupid DVD for a bunch of morons to make some quick $$. He might be out of limits when dealing with dangerous animals and he might have been criticised for it, but he was different and I really liked that bloke. I really feel sad that he left the building ....