Quantcast

Crime Alert: Catalytic Converter Thefts

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
http://news.google.com/news?q=catalytic+Converter+stolen&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&tab=wn

The Newz said:
Parking lots are becoming a hot spot for thieves targeting cars and trucks. They're not after what's inside, but rather what's underneath.

The core of the converter contains platinum, a precious metal that could get a crook anywhere from $80 to $100 a pop. And all it takes, is just a few minutes to rip off.

Thieves seem to be hitting SUVs because the high clearance makes it easier for them to get underneath a vehicle. There's really nothing you can do to protect your car from converter thieves.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I think they've been doing this for a while now. I remember hearing something a few years back.

GuettoBlaster

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Ghetto...of course
Just happent at my work...two cars got hit by the thief...one had some very bad rust d'out bolt that made him brake the flange and not complete the transaction...the welded one's are harder to get it out...what a crazy world...whats next?

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Thieves seem to be hitting SUVs because the high clearance makes it easier for them to get underneath a vehicle. There's really nothing you can do to protect your car from converter thieves.
My Jeep is lifted so it would be very easy to get underneath. The skid plate would be in the way for one end, if I had a cat to even steal.

I would love to see the look on the crooks face after he cut my friends cat off to find it is just a cat shell welded to a piece of straight exhaust pipe.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There was an article last year about a crew in Seattle that would hit the hospital parking lots. Toyota trucks are #1.

I went to look at a '92 last week and when I started it up, you could tell the cat was missing. They had just put an all new exhaust on it (the shop was next door). I joked that they hadn't paid the bill and the shop repo'ed the cat :D

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
We have this problem at one of our local trail heads. Several local riders have had their CC's ripped out when riding. Honda Elements seem to be a very popular target. Must be easy to steal.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We have this problem at one of our local trail heads. Several local riders have had their CC's ripped out when riding. Honda Elements seem to be a very popular target. Must be easy to steal.
here's what you do...

pretend you are leaving to ride, but once you're in the woods, double back and find a good hiding spot. and wait. and wait. if/when a thief shows up, wait till after he has it removed and is about to leave, then run the fvck outta the woods and shoot him. Did i mention wait in the woods with a shotgun? Last I checked, shotguns generally hurt. A lot. I'm talking intensive care hurt. But don't shoot him with buckshot, press your own shells filled with clear broken glass. That'll teach that crooked fvcker.